Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiffany_1987
    • By Tiffany_1987 18th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Tiffany_1987
    Removal Notice issued
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    Removal Notice issued 18th Oct 16 at 8:14 PM
    I have returned home from work today and found that a Baliffe has been to my property to collect goods for unpaid council tax. And requesting that I pay £1,340.00 or goods will be taken from my property for resell I have rang the council and asked for the debt to be taken back they refused as no payments had been made. I contacted Phoenix Commercial and they refused to speak to me I darent phone the Baliffe directly I'm terrified I suffer with depression and anxiety and I don't know what to do I am a single parent to my 8 year old and could really do with some advise please can anyone help?
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 8,373 Posts
    • 8,205 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    Hi,

Ok, first, don't phone them again, don't allow them access to your property.

They will attempt collection approx 3 times, after which they will pass back to the council.
    Council tax is a priority debt, you really need to get back up to speed with it, once the council have taken the debt back, you should make a payment, as much as you can, then arrange a payment plan for the rest of it.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • CIS
    • By CIS 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    CIS
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    First question - is the amount due or do you have any dispute over whether it is actually outstanding ?

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Tiffany_1987
    • By Tiffany_1987 19th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tiffany_1987
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    The amount is higher than expected this is due to charges they have applied I'm guessing there nothing I can do about that
    • Tiffany_1987
    • By Tiffany_1987 19th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tiffany_1987
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    I haven't phoned the enforcement officer I'm too scared to. My anxiety is through the roof at the moment I know I need to get it sorted ASAP and I have contacted Phoenix previously to tell them I wanted to arrange a repayment plan and asked them to post me a financial statement and they ignored me! N next thing I know I have the notice through my door
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 6,368 Posts
    • 35,132 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    Tiffany if you have a car, make arrangements to park it somewhere away from home until this has been passed back to the Council - preferably on private land somewhere (with permission of the owner of the land, obviously!)

I take it you are currently paying your Council tax as per your schedule and this is simply for old arrears dating back to before this financial year?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 19th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    Keep the doors locked and windows closed and keep the key around your neck on string so children can not let strangers in to the house.
    Open an upstairs window and tell the Bailiff you are making contact an refusing entry as is your lawful right.

Ignore the threats of police, vans, locksmiths and close the window.

As above they will call 3 times and pass it back to the council as they have no warrant, just a civil court liability order, which is basically a spell written on paper.
    The only power it has is the belief you give it and the actions you take in fear of the words written on it.
    Once you think of it like that, it gets easier to deal with.

The council will contact you once the enforcement goons can not get any money.
    You are not liable for the fees for the goons so only agree to pay the arrears.
    Last edited by Marktheshark; 19-10-2016 at 9:39 AM.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
  • National Debtline
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    Hi Tiffany

The others have given you some good advice for now on not allowing the bailiff into your home and keeping any vehicles you own well out of the way.

It’s true that the bailiff will most likely pass the debt back to the council if they can’t collect from you, but I think in your case it’s worth contacting the council now and asking them to deal with you directly straight away.

There is guidance on how and when bailiffs should be used in vulnerable situations, and as you suffer from depression and anxiety you have a good case to say you are vulnerable. Ask the council to take the debt back because this stressful situation could have a negative effect on your health.

If you want to talk everything through with an adviser you’re welcome to give National Debtline a call.

James
    @natdebtline
    Last edited by National Debtline; 19-10-2016 at 12:37 PM.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,443Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter