Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GMW333
    • By GMW333 18th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GMW333
    Do I have to pay council tax?
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    Do I have to pay council tax? 18th Oct 16 at 8:10 PM
    I have just moved in with my boyfriend who is doing a masters. He is the only one on the tenancy agreement so is exempt from paying council tax due to his student status. As a result we haven't had any letters through regarding council tax payments.

Now that I live with him and have just gained full-time employment do I have to pay council tax eventhough I'm not on the rental agreement?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    boliston
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    I have just moved in with my boyfriend who is doing a masters. He is the only one on the tenancy agreement so is exempt from paying council tax due to his student status. As a result we haven't had any letters through regarding council tax payments.

Now that I live with him and have just gained full-time employment do I have to pay council tax eventhough I'm not on the rental agreement?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by GMW333
    He could be in breach of his lease - this could be more of a worry.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 18th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 10,078 Posts
    • 7,559 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:19 PM

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by GMW333
    Yes but there is a 25% discount as there is a sole liable adult.

There has been a liability for the tax since you moved in so expect the council to ask you for that date.

The bill will come in your boyfriend's name as he is higher up the hierarchy of liabilities than you, i.e he is a tenant, you are not.

You may also qualify for council tax relief, for which every local authority has their own scheme
    Last edited by fatbelly; 18-10-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,082Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin