Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Olivia Joyce
    • By Olivia Joyce 18th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Olivia Joyce
    Parking Collection Services
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    Parking Collection Services 18th Oct 16 at 8:04 PM
    I've read a lot of the posts regarding parking fines, in particular Parking Collection Services, with whom I currently have a dispute with. However, since these posts are from 2011, I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation to myself more recently.

On the 6th of October, I received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus with a fine for £160 for parking without a permit in the car park of a property at which I am a resident. The letter stated that the alleged offence occurred on the 24th of August, yet this was the first I had heard of it, over a month on (no PCN was left on my car).

I rang Parking Collection Services to appeal against this, since I was not provided with a permit when moving in to my student address in Leeds over the summer, and only managed to obtain a permit off my letting agent mid September. I also queried why the charge was £160 as opposed to £100, or £60 if paid within a certain time frame, as stated in the car park. I was told this was because a letter was sent with the initial fine to my home address in Derbyshire on the 31st of August, but I did not receive this letter nor have I been provided with any proof that it was sent in the first place. When I stated that I would like to take this up with my letting agent before I did anything else, I was told that there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay the full fine.

Having asking my letting agent for assistance in an appeal (since they knew they did not provide me with a permit, and it states that parking is included in my contract) and was refused, I filed an official appeal with Parking Collection Services through JD Parking's website (the body that issues the permits to my letting agent) on the 6th of October. I still am yet to hear anything from them.

I then received another letter from Debt Recovery Plus a week later on the 12th of October, stating that they were yet to hear from me (despite emailing them to notify them I had received their letter but had filed for an appeal and was awaiting a response), and that if neither payment or contact was made by the 21st of October, it would be referred to their legal team. At this point, I messaged JD directly through their website for an explanation as to why my appeal had not been dealt with and I still am yet to hear anything.

On the same date, I forwarded Debt Recovery Plus my original email sent and explained that I had contacted them but as previously stated I was waiting to hear from an appeal. I received a reply on the 17th stating that the window for appeal had expired and so my appeal was no longer relevant (how am I expected to appeal within the time frame if they don't notify me of the charge until afterwards?) and that the fact I did not receive the original fine supposedly sent on the 31st of August is a matter to take up with the postal service. I was told to ensure that the payment is made by the 31st of October, else they will 'recommend' to their client (Parking Collection Services) that court action be taken.

Has anyone had a similar experience with any of these companies recently? If so, how empty are the threats of court action?

Olivia
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    ok , now read the small print at the bottom of both DR+ and PCS letters ,

a clue:

"Parking Collection Services is a trading style of Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office 78 York street, London, W1H 1DP Company registration number 6978341. VAT registration number 977956045"

you are just being passed around

PCS want money , they are not their to help you!

who was the parking co that issued the ticket ?
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    just to add , DR+ and PCS are talking porkie pies when they say its to late to do anything and pay up

contact the letting agent and ask him WHO hired the parking Co , was it him , the landlord or who? , tell him , not ask him , that as he made a *ock up he should contact or get the person that hired them to contact the PARKING Co , not DR+/PCS and TELL them to cancel it due to their *ockup , this action can be done right upto court papers being issued , tell them NOT to be fobbed off , THEY employ , THEY give the orders

who was the parking Co
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 36,468 Posts
    • 73,302 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    It is not a fine, it is an unenforceable speculative invoice.

Unfortunately you have made several Newbie mistakes. You should never ever, phone a parking company or can debt collectors. Debt collectors can be safely ignored.

You should also never reveal the driver's identity.

Did you appeal direct to the parking company? I can't work out if you have done this or not.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 18-10-2016 at 8:23 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    the original note probably said PCS as the back office for appeals
    • Olivia Joyce
    • By Olivia Joyce 18th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Olivia Joyce
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    The parking company are JD Parking, but I presume the people that collect the money on behalf of them are Parking Collection Services. I went on JD's website to file an appeal, but it directed me to Parking Collection Services and an online form. Since not hearing anything, I messaged JD parking directly but still have not heard anything.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    run by Joseph Grinion , read all about him

A security company, its director and two senior managers were found guilty of offences under the Private Security Industry Act 2001, at Leeds Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday [13 November].
    The prosecutions came as a result of an operation carried-out by officers from Leeds City Council Licensing department and West Yorkshire Police in September 2012.
    An enquiry identified that Pro-Tech was portraying itself as part of the SIA’s Approved Contractor Scheme. It was revealed in court that during an ACS assessment, Pro-Tech learned that it would not pass an assessment and therefore withdrew from the scheme before the accreditation was removed.
    Pro-Tech pleaded guilty to supplying an unlicensed security operative and portraying itself as an ACS company; the court fined Pro-Tech £1,000 and order it to pay costs of £15,000.
    Director, Joseph Grinion, pleaded guilty to portraying Pro-Tech as an ACS company and for failing to produce documents when requested to by the SIA. He was fined £470 and ordered to pay costs of £4,000.
    Former director and now manager Stefan Rees, pleaded guilty to supplying an unlicensed security operative and for portraying Pro-Tech to be an ACS company. He was fined £470 and ordered to pay costs of £4,000.
    Operations manager, Richard Dyson, pleaded guilty to supplying an unlicensed security operative. He was fined £135 and ordered to pay costs of £400.

maybe inform the hirer of his naughty task

you are going to sort your landlord out now?
    • Olivia Joyce
    • By Olivia Joyce 18th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Olivia Joyce
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    I have already contacted them for assistance, and was told that although in some instances previous tenants do not leave them behind, it is still my responsibility to apply for a permit and so they refuse to assist in an appeal. I don't have anything to do with my landlord, the letting agency are the middle man.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    tome to move ! do you want to get a ticket every time the wind blows your permit from the dash?

your letting agent made the mistake , not YOU , he is responsible for sorting keys , permits etc , so he has failed his job
    • Olivia Joyce
    • By Olivia Joyce 18th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Olivia Joyce
    This is the wording in my contract with regards to vehicles:

'Not to keep or store any motor vehicle, motor cycle or pedal cycle on or in the premises except in the garage or car parking space belonging to the property (if any), or in such other place as the landlord may designate to permit.'
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    can,t see any mention of displaying a permit , at thec time you had a contract , therefore you were complying with the terms of it , you were parked in a space that was allocated to you.

JD don't do court , however its time to cause a stink with letting agent/landlord as this will happen again and again to you , every time the wind blows
    • Olivia Joyce
    • By Olivia Joyce 18th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Olivia Joyce
    How do you know that they don't?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    pappa golf
    http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/JD_Parking_Consultants.html
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 40,525 Posts
    • 52,410 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    How do you know that they don't?
    Originally posted by Olivia Joyce
    Because some of us have been doing this for a decade and have ignored PCNs ourselves, and silly threatograms from Debt Recovery call centres full of bored students and people who can't get a better job (DO NOT PHONE THEM - STOP!)!

And because the BMPA (charity to assist motorists with this exact scam; I am a member of the BMPA myself) have those records.

Most small parking companies (and JD are very small fry) wouldn't know what to do as regards litigation. They rely on victims reading and worrying about the threatograms, which are only letters. No effect on your credit, no-one send the boys round, this isn't 'Can't Pay We'll Take It Away' with some sort of Court Order!

Nor can PCS or Debt Recovery Plus take people to court over private parking tickets as there is no CCA agreement (like there would be a REAL debt, re credit/a loan) in default. It's a a made-up debt, an invoice from a chancer, often ex-clampers who have moved to ticketing now clamping is illegal (2012).

I filed an official appeal with Parking Collection Services through JD Parking's website (the body that issues the permits to my letting agent) on the 6th of October. I still am yet to hear anything from them.
    On the PCs letter, was this the way for a keeper to appeal? Via JD Parking's website rather than by email to PCS? If so, then JD have to consider the appeal. So stop phoning people and wait. Any letter is just hot air but let us know when you get an 'appeal rejection' letter.

Did you ONLY appeal as the keeper at that stage? Not saying who was driving?

Either way, wait for the reply, if any. No big deal. No need to panic and CERTAINLY not to pay.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-10-2016 at 8:54 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter