Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rtb89
    • By rtb89 18th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rtb89
    HomeBuyer Report Help/Opinions
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    HomeBuyer Report Help/Opinions 18th Oct 16 at 8:00 PM
    Hi All,

FTB here, just had the results back on my mortgage lender's valuation report plus as additional HomeBuyer report I had conducted by a local surveyor.

Property is a 2 bed mid terrace (1950s) with rear extension. Both have given the property value I offered (£187k). There are however a couple of areas in the report that have me concerned...starting with the fact my surveyors covering emails stated "Although the sales figure can be supported you may wish to negotiate the price based on defects found" (is that a normal comment??)

Anyway, to the issues:

1. "The rear single storey extension is of single skin construction with very poorly patch repaired roof and inadequate weathering details. Due to its construction and condition we recommend this is removed and a new cavity built extension built in its place. The existing structure could have a second skin added and a new pitched and tiled roof but "patching up" can cause more problems and be more expensive than building with adequate materials.".

I knew the quality of this extension wasn't great but didn't consider having to knock it down and rebuilding when making an offer, this has me very concerned!

2. "The external render to the property is in poor condition with areas of uneven render, broken render and cracked render. In particular surrounding areas to doors and windows require repair as well as areas at low level by the bell cast details. Repair and redecoration required"

Is the above purely aesthetic? It's pebbledash and I cant imagine replacing/repairing individual sections of this would be a good idea...

3. "Windows have been installed over timber wooden sills and peeling paint was noted to various windows. The window sills should have been replaced with PVC at the time of installation as this is low maintenance"

Is this actually a problem? I'm happy to strip and repaint the sills...

4. Electrics are dated and surface mounted cabling was noted it many areas - rewiring will be required.

Is this as urgent as made out in the report?

Do you guys think there are any areas of major concern here? I understand surveys are often quite dramatic in wording and i'm trying to keep a level head. Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 37,092 Posts
    • 41,049 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    You are taking on a property that requires work and money.

Some of this is up to you (yes, repaint window frames rather than replace), but this is not an immaculate New Build that requires no work for 10 years......

Do you have a contingency fund?
    Are you prepared/able to DIY?
    Are youprepared to live in mess?
    • rtb89
    • By rtb89 18th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rtb89
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    Oh I know it's not an immaculate new build and never expected it to be as such. We have a contingency fund, just not necessarily enough to demolish and rebuild the rear extension right after we move in.

I'm certainly prepared to do DIY, I wouldn't say it's my strong point but painting and minor repairs shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure if repairs to the external render or refurbishing the existing extension (which is currently nothing more that a glorified utility/storage room) would lead to too much internal mess. However, I definitely would like the house to be liveable from the get go.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    You don't have to replace the extension immediately (or at all), it's just a recommendation as you'll find it colder/damper/more in need of repairs than a better quality one. Obviously the current owners have put up with it.

The other points don't seem too concerning (yes, you can patch repair render and it's not a big cost anyway).

I think the comment about the valuation just means it's at the top end of what the surveyor would deem a justifiable market value, so there might be room to negotiate it downwards.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 18th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    To be fair, the property clearly needs some work, and it may be worth asking the vendor to consider a revised offer. What you don't want to do is annoy the seller assuming you really want the house. As other posters seem to have already indicated, most of the works themselves can be dealt with over time.
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter