Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JaxA
    • By JaxA 18th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JaxA
    Advice needed. Hourly rate reduced
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    Advice needed. Hourly rate reduced 18th Oct 16 at 7:52 PM
    I'd really appreciate advice if anybody could help. I work for a large supermarket. Last year I relocated from Essex to the Midlands, I was fortunate enough to get a transfer, doing the same job I had in Essex. Not u till my 2nd pay packet did I realise that my hourly rate had dropped by 50p per hour, I questioned this with my dept. Manager and was told that everybody accross the country working for this supermarket gets the same pay for that job and it must have been my location pay that made the difference.
    I have checked and double checked, my hourly rate was more and my location pay was seperate. I am also still in touch with colleagues from Essex and they are still 50p per hour more. Should I have had my pay reduced? I do the same job, I was not told this would happen, and I'd like to know if I should take it further in work. Thanks
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 18th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    I'd really appreciate advice if anybody could help. I work for a large supermarket. Last year I relocated from Essex to the Midlands, I was fortunate enough to get a transfer, doing the same job I had in Essex. Not u till my 2nd pay packet did I realise that my hourly rate had dropped by 50p per hour, I questioned this with my dept. Manager and was told that everybody accross the country working for this supermarket gets the same pay for that job and it must have been my location pay that made the difference.
    I have checked and double checked, my hourly rate was more and my location pay was seperate. I am also still in touch with colleagues from Essex and they are still 50p per hour more. Should I have had my pay reduced? I do the same job, I was not told this would happen, and I'd like to know if I should take it further in work. Thanks
    Originally posted by JaxA
    We can't tell you why this has happened. Only the employer can do that. But there is no reason why pay should be the same. This is a different job, even if the role is the same, and you should have checked the terms were the same, not assumed that they were. The employer wasn't responsible for telling you this. You asked them to relocate you. They did. But they were not obliged to maintain your terms from your previous job. So if this is what the job in the Midlands pays, this is the pay.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 18th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    This takes me back as this happened to me in 2002 when I internal transferred from an Essex hotel to Watford within the same hotel group. Was gutted went from a small quite run down 55 to a 218 flagship roomed hotel, it erked me too so you have my empathy.

Afraid I was young at the time, (learnt the lesson about transfers although when the choosing is yours!) I'm sure I kept continuous service at the time, moved away not long after pay discrepancy was realised as the only way forward even back then - albeit only briefly as then eventually returned to the same group in Kent nearly a year later on about same money as I'd left the Essex hotel so while not quite the same on par, there is wishful thinking into the mix for some point in the future as well. x
    Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    Regional differences in pay are very common. It is unlikely the Essex branch would offer 50p ph more unless they had to.
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 19th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    I questioned this with my dept. Manager and was told that everybody accross the country working for this supermarket gets the same pay for that job and it must have been my location pay that made the difference.
    I have checked and double checked, my hourly rate was more and my location pay was seperate.
    Originally posted by JaxA
    When I worked in a supermarket (and it was many years ago so may not be the same) any queries like this were dealt with by "the office" - is there an administrative department in your branch?

I agree with you BTW location pay is location pay and if your company DOES have a policy of paying more/less depending on location, this is where it would be reflected.

I wonder if you are classed as having a break in service - I seem to remember being on a lower rate of pay for the first 6 months (and I couldn't have a discount card until I'd worked there 6 months either).

My department manager was useless to be honest and if this had happened to me, I would have spoken to either "the office" in store or called head office to query. The only thing I'd say, is if your manager is working to a very tight budget and you DO need an hourly increase, you might find your hours down by a corresponding amount. so less hours for same money - great! but you might not end up with more money in your pocket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

835Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter