Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myoung48
    • By myoung48 18th Oct 16, 7:09 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    myoung48
    Lost parcel, what are my rights?
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:09 PM
    Lost parcel, what are my rights? 18th Oct 16 at 7:09 PM
    I recently bought a computer monitor via flubit for nearly £400. After it arrived, I decided I didn't want it and so contacted flubit saying I wanted to send it back. They said OK, gave me an address in Ireland and said that I should use any service I liked to send the item back.

I (very foolishly it would seem), chose to use parcel2go to send the parcel through DPD. When the DPD courier did not show up, they switched my order to parcelforce and said I could drop the item at a delivery point, which I did.

It is now a week later and the tracking system still says "On route to hub". I have contacted parcel2go, who say it looks like the item is lost. I've put in a claim with their website, but it says in big red letters that the item I sent isn't covered as I didn't select to pay for extra compensation and they will refund me no more than "£0".

I do not see how it is possible to loose an item that is bigger than a toddler (100cm x 30cm x 30cm). But what I really want to know is what are my rights in this situation and who should I be complaining to (flubit, parcelforce, parcel2go, someone else?).

Can they really just shrug, say my parcel is lost and walk away with no liability? What's to stop them just stealing anything they please? I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice as to what I can do because I'm feeling rather powerless at the moment.
Page 1
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    If you sent it with absolutely no compensation cover whatsoever, then there will be no cover. Although most couriers usually have a minimum cover level, eg £20 which you may be entitled to claim - you would have to check your paperwork.

Are you sure you didn't opt to purchase sufficient cover, if the item was worth £400? If not, presumably this was a risk you were willing to take?
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 18th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 14,611 Posts
    • 19,653 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    Your contract is with parceltogo, so you can complain to them, but the responsibility of choosing the correct service was up to you.

I would be phoning parcel force and getting them to look for it.

When you selected DPD, did you opt for the correct insurance? Are you saying that when P2G changed your service to Parcelforce, it was then insufficiently insured? Or did you just not take insurance due to the cost?

EDIT:

When you use P2G, all it asks you to input is the weight and locations.

It then gives you an option of insured to £20 or no insurance.

If you click on the 'insure for £20' option, it then gives you the option to insure it for the full amount.

Did you take the insurance initially?

EDIT AGAIN!!

Just seen that DPD will not insure computer monitors, and can only be carried without insurance. This is in the drop down lost that you are asked ro read before agreeing to it...

Ohps.
    Last edited by pinkshoes; 18-10-2016 at 8:36 PM.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 18th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    Just seen that DPD will not insure computer monitors, and can only be carried without insurance. This is in the drop down lost that you are asked ro read before agreeing to it...
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Are such restrictions not usually for damage, rather than loss?
    (Not that it will make much difference if no loss cover was purchased, of course).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Oct 16, 11:55 PM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:55 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:55 PM
    Are such restrictions not usually for damage, rather than loss?
    (Not that it will make much difference if no loss cover was purchased, of course).
    Originally posted by bazzyb
    Seems no insurance is available for carriage of monitors..
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 19th Oct 16, 1:16 AM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 19th Oct 16, 1:16 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 1:16 AM
    WHy would flubit be responsible?
    You booked and chose the courier, your failing to ensure the item arrived back with them safely via your chosen service is nothing to do with them.
    Drives - MG ZT-T CDTi Auto
    Owns - Nothing, yet! House hopefully in a few years
    Gluten free as of 11/06/14!
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 19th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    The cheapest option is very rarely the best option. OP is at fault and unfortunately will probably have to swallow a loss of £400+
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 31,508 Posts
    • 26,185 Thanks
    custardy
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    I recently bought a computer monitor via flubit for nearly £400. After it arrived, I decided I didn't want it and so contacted flubit saying I wanted to send it back. They said OK, gave me an address in Ireland and said that I should use any service I liked to send the item back.

I (very foolishly it would seem), chose to use parcel2go to send the parcel through DPD. When the DPD courier did not show up, they switched my order to parcelforce and said I could drop the item at a delivery point, which I did.

It is now a week later and the tracking system still says "On route to hub". I have contacted parcel2go, who say it looks like the item is lost. I've put in a claim with their website, but it says in big red letters that the item I sent isn't covered as I didn't select to pay for extra compensation and they will refund me no more than "£0".

I do not see how it is possible to loose an item that is bigger than a toddler (100cm x 30cm x 30cm). But what I really want to know is what are my rights in this situation and who should I be complaining to (flubit, parcelforce, parcel2go, someone else?).

Can they really just shrug, say my parcel is lost and walk away with no liability? What's to stop them just stealing anything they please? I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice as to what I can do because I'm feeling rather powerless at the moment.
    Originally posted by myoung48
    Contact the recipient. It is possible its arrived with them.
    PF items can sometimes end up in the Royal Mail streams. RM hardware can't scan PF barcodes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter