Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Justin2168
    • By Justin2168 18th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Justin2168
    Gumtree scam
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Gumtree scam 18th Oct 16 at 6:18 PM
    Hi I'm new here so I hope this is in the right place on the forum.
    I recently looked to purchase a new van for work and found a well priced van, though not an unbelievable price.
    I sent the deposit of 10% to hold the van after speaking extensively with the owner and travelled down to collect it. The address was wrong..somebody else occupied the property. I figured it was at least only 10% I'd lost until I realised that on my small phone screen I had double tapped the zero and transferred the whole amount.
    Whether or not the guy was scamming lots of people out of deposits or not I don't know..it was a well planned scam as he even had the nerve to call me and arrange a time the morning of supposed collection.
    Santander will do nothing..even with a crime number. The guys bank account is also with Santander. They have informed me they need to write to the receiving bank to see if they can retrieve the money, and I was told that they basically have to write to themselves and wait for the reply which will take a minimum of 3 weeks. Is this normal for an internal transfer mistake/scam?!
    I'm guessing by this time the account has been emptied.
    Is there anything I can do here short of offering rewards if I can find inside help?
    I also have the phone number which I assume can be traced to the last phone that sim was was used in. I doubt the phone has been discarded..just the sim.
    Frustrated to say the least..the police asked me to call them in six weeks if I haven't heard from them, to see if they can be bothered with it all.
    I need a PI licence because I'd sure as hell find him if I had access to information !
    If there is anything I can do to help myself here please let me know!
Page 1
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 18th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 7,899 Posts
    • 22,480 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    Report to Action Fraud and police is the way to go, and you have done this.

The bank haven't made an error, as they've only followed your instruction, and can't go into someone else's account for you, so sadly this isn't an option.

The only option at the moment is to sit tight and see what the police can do.
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
    • Justin2168
    • By Justin2168 19th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justin2168
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    Thanks...I know it's my own stupid type error. I told the bank the moment I realised...I guess I'm just surprised that my bank had to write to themselves to see if they could help get it back rather than just starting the process immediately for me. Had the guy banked with someone else I could totally understand that. I just wondered if this was usual to write to yourself, and whether anybody in a similar circumstance with a different bank to me had experienced this. You'd think they'd want to help out if they could, especially when it's one of their other customers using their bank account for fraudulent behaviour.
    Such is life in the digital era I guess. I wouldn't have miss wrote it on paper that's for sure. We live and learn...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 3,424 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    One of my sons fell for a similar scam, a few months ago, but in his case it was a breakdown truck. The truck was supposedly in the Manchester area.

I don't know the details, but he paid into some kind of temporary account,which cannot be traced to the 'owner', so lost his £50 deposit.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 19th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    You essentially sent money to a random bank account (on the basis of an internet ad) and now want it back.

A fool and his money are soon parted - a story as old as time itself.
    • iainscomputer
    • By iainscomputer 19th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    iainscomputer
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    I'm constantly amazed by people who pay money to someone they don't know for a vehicle they haven't seen.
    There are lots of vehicles out there, go and see it in person. The only way I would buy a vehicle unseen, it would have to be brand new & from a reputable checkable source. Payment would be credit card or finance only.
    There's one born every minute.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 4,998 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    it was on BBc rip of britian a few days ago ..cant understand how the bank wasnt helpfull to the police
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • takman
    • By takman 19th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    takman
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    I agree with "iainscomputer" i don't know why so many people do this!. I have actually never paid a deposit for any vehicle in my entire life. If i see a vehicle i want to buy i then arrange to go and view it and make sure its ready to buy that day. If i like it then i buy it there and then, if i don't then i don't buy it. I don't have to worry about paying deposits or going back later to collect vehicles, its a lot easier and more efficient.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 19th Oct 16, 11:50 PM
    • 14,888 Posts
    • 13,132 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:50 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:50 PM
    Never pay a penny for a vehicle that you haven't inspected in person...
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • konark
    • By konark 20th Oct 16, 12:13 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    konark
    Isn't Gumtree designed for 'face-to-face' transactions only- they even put a warning on the site.
    • Justin2168
    • By Justin2168 20th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justin2168
    I'm not a fool...I actually typed an extra 0 when paying a 10% deposit. £160 loss wouldn't be so bad. Please read my post before you start throwing insults.
    • Justin2168
    • By Justin2168 20th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justin2168
    Ok...my first post on a forum and it's full of insults.
    I've bought many vehicles in my time, this was set up well and appeared to be a business with a reputation that was all well set up. I'm not a fool...I have had many bargains off that site and would normally meet in person for a 'private' sale.
    I only wondered if it was usual for a bank to write to themselves.
    Thanks for all your comments.
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    takman
    I'm not a fool...I actually typed an extra 0 when paying a 10% deposit. £160 loss wouldn't be so bad. Please read my post before you start throwing insults.
    Originally posted by Justin2168
    Well considering that you first have to type in the amount wrong on online banking. Then it shows you the amount again it then asks you to confirm it. So it is a little bit foolish not checking what you typed in!.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 20th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 8,361 Posts
    • 11,920 Thanks
    meer53
    You have to feel foolish for paying for something you've never seen from someone you've never met ? On top of that, you sent the wrong amount. Thats pretty hard to do via internet banking really. Your bank can't do anything, they haven't made a mistake, you have, twice.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    eskbanker
    They have informed me they need to write to the receiving bank to see if they can retrieve the money, and I was told that they basically have to write to themselves and wait for the reply which will take a minimum of 3 weeks.
    I'm just surprised that my bank had to write to themselves to see if they could help get it back rather than just starting the process immediately for me.
    I think there may be some crossed wires here - I believe that they'll be following their normal process for seeking to reverse the effect of a mistaken transaction, which entails contacting the receiving bank, who in turn contacts the recipient to ask if they consent to the erroneous payment being returned (somewhat unlikely in this case....). It's that end-to-end dialogue with the account holder that takes the time (up to 20 days), not the writing to themselves, so I believe they will have started the ball rolling already....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,641Posts Today

5,689Users online

Martin's Twitter