Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr_Unknown
    • By Mr_Unknown 18th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mr_Unknown
    Will I be able to rent with current debts?
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    Will I be able to rent with current debts? 18th Oct 16 at 6:06 PM
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice, I am wanting to rent a property through an agency but fear I may not pass the admin checks and don't want to lose the £120.

In December 15 - I was in rented property but ended up losing my job due to redundancy, unfortunately I had no redundancy and had accumulated a few debts with Gas and Electric and a number of other bills including child support.

As rent was due I had no way to pay this, I had to leave without notice and have been staying with my grand parents. I did however pay a deposit which I never claimed back due to leaving. I know this was wrong but felt I had no other options.

I recon my debts are around £1300 no CCJ's
    I also have a guarantor

Any information would be grateful.

Thanks,
    Connor
Page 1
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 18th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    Get onto Noddle or ClearScore, check your credit history.

Ignore the number they give you, but check any accounts youve had and any missed payments.

I've never seen energy suppiers on my credit file, so unsure of a check would show up on them.

Debts of £1,300 shouldn't be an issue. The agency will be looking at your income, affordability and your ability to pay if you end up jobless.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    You are a bad risk for a landlord because you don't seem able to budget very well. You have had since December 15 to get another job and while living with your grand parents pay off your debts but you haven't done that. The problem is that if you can't pay off your debts while living with your grand parents how will you do it and pay rent?
  • National Debtline
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    Hi Connor

A landlord/letting agent’s credit file check only shows publicly available information, such as any CCJs or insolvencies. It doesn’t show outstanding debts or your repayment history.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Mr_Unknown
    • By Mr_Unknown 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_Unknown
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    Thanks for your help, I am employed now but after a short while of no work I am currently working on sorting out the debts.

I do have a guarantor also, my noodle report is showing 1/5 which is towards very poor. You recon this will affect anything?

Thank you for responding
  • National Debtline
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    I do have a guarantor also, my noodle report is showing 1/5 which is towards very poor. You recon this will affect anything?
    Originally posted by Mr_Unknown
    Your credit score on Noddle is just their rough guide to give you an idea of how credit worthy you are. It is just focussed on your ability to borrow money, which could vary from lender to lender anyway.

A letting agent wouldn’t actually see your Noddle credit score so it will not be a factor in whether they let you rent.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,399Posts Today

7,830Users online

Martin's Twitter