Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clarissam
    • By clarissam 18th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    clarissam
    Unsupported chimney breast
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    Unsupported chimney breast 18th Oct 16 at 5:49 PM
    Hi all,
    We were selling our two up two down Victorian terraced house that we've lived in for 13 years. We were due to exchange last week but when our buyers had their survey done there was a query regarding the support of the spare bedroom chimney. The ground floor chimney breast was removed before we bought the property and was not mentioned in our survey when buying. We did not have any paperwork showing what work had been done, and offered to pay for an indemnity policy, however they decided to walk away. I have since taken up a couple of floor boards and there's no sign of any support under the bedroom chimney!

So we are now in the position where we have lost our buyers and the house we were due to buy, and on top of that, have a potentially expensive to resolve before we can put the house back on the market again
    Has anyone been in a similar position or know where to start in getting the chimney sorted? Also is it worth doing the work ourselves or selling as is?
    Thanks folks xx
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    Hi all,
    We were selling our two up two down Victorian terraced house that we've lived in for 13 years. We were due to exchange last week but when our buyers had their survey done there was a query regarding the support of the spare bedroom chimney. The ground floor chimney breast was removed before we bought the property and was not mentioned in our survey when buying. We did not have any paperwork showing what work had been done, and offered to pay for an indemnity policy, however they decided to walk away. I have since taken up a couple of floor boards and there's no sign of any support under the bedroom chimney!

So we are now in the position where we have lost our buyers and the house we were due to buy, and on top of that, have a potentially expensive to resolve before we can put the house back on the market again
    Has anyone been in a similar position or know where to start in getting the chimney sorted? Also is it worth doing the work ourselves or selling as is?
    Thanks folks xx
    Originally posted by clarissam
    You need to get the work done. It isn't safe to live in a house with this structural problem. This isn't a cosmetic problem. The chimney could come down which is why it should be supported.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 18th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    I had the exact same thing - Victorian Terrace, ground floor chimney breast removed. Never mentioned when I bought it but quickly mentioned when I wanted to sell. In my case I did exactly the same as you and pulled up a few floor boards and had a look - it was very dusty and dirty and I wasn't sure what I was actually looking for but eventually worked out there was a steel lintel in place. I'd get a builder or structural engineer to have a look just to be certain.
    • clarissam
    • By clarissam 24th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    clarissam
    • 24th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 24th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    A quick follow up - ive had a structural engineer in to have a look last week and sadly there's no supporting steel. He's drawing up plans and hoping we can figure out a way of supporting without having to take the kitchen ceiling down! Apparently it's self supporting as there's no sign of cracks or movement but the steel is needed to meet building regulations. Doesn't look like we'll be moving house anytime soon until it's sorted ��
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 24th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    jimbog
    • 24th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 24th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    May not too long to get sorted tbh. Perhaps your buyer will be reassured about what you are doing and will be prepared to wait. have you kept them up to date?
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 24th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 24th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 24th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    Oh dear, but yes, do keep everyone informed and there might be a chance to get back on track with the same chain again, if not much time has passed since it all fell apart. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter