Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • clarissam
    • By clarissam 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Unsupported chimney breast
    • #1
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    Unsupported chimney breast 18th Oct 16 at 5:47 PM
    Hi all,
    We were selling our two up two down Victorian terraced house that we've lived in for 13 years. We were due to exchange last week but when our buyers had their survey done there was a query regarding the support of the spare bedroom chimney. The ground floor chimney breast was removed before we bought the property and was not mentioned in our survey when buying. We did not have any paperwork showing what work had been done, and offered to pay for an indemnity policy, however they decided to walk away. I have since taken up a couple of floor boards and there's no sign of any support under the bedroom chimney!

    So we are now in the position where we have lost our buyers and the house we were due to buy, and on top of that, have a potentially expensive to resolve before we can put the house back on the market again
    Has anyone been in a similar position or know where to start in getting the chimney sorted?
    Thanks folks xx
Page 1
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 18th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • #2
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    Get a structural engineer in to look at things. If something needs doing they will be able to provide the calculations and drawings for what needs doing. Also speak with your local building control as any works will need to go through them, they may also say what is acceptable to them.
    • SamboJambo
    • By SamboJambo 19th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • #3
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    I had this when selling my old house. The buyers had a survey done and they queried the wall that had been taken down between the kitchen and the back room to make a bigger kitchen, this was done before we bought the house and was never mentioned in the survey. We ended up having to pay our something like £50 for insurance for them otherwise they were going to pull out of the sale.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 20,426 Posts
    • 83,048 Thanks
    • #4
    • 20th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • #4
    • 20th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    Phil is right that a structural engineer will be needed for checking what's there/not there now and doing the calculations. Your local authority's building control may have a preferred method, although anything specified by the SE should be acceptable.

    There's also the option of doing nothing and offering the house at a reduced amount to reflect the work needed + indemnity insurance, which is pretty useless in this scenario, since it only covers enforcement by building control = highly unlikely. You won't get the insurance if you speak to BC first and ID the house, but you can enquire anonymously.

    There will be an element of disruption to decorations and it'll be one or two days work if you go ahead.
    'You have to think anyway, so why not think big?' Donald Trump
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter