Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 18th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 1,585Posts
    • 2,144Thanks
    Carmen
    0 WOW
    Is three weeks to long?
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Is three weeks to long? 18th Oct 16 at 5:43 PM
    Three ladies I know want to visit London in February.
    They want to stay for three weeks, but I feel that would be too long just for taking in the sights.
    Just a quick look at the entrance fees for some of the attractions will cost a small fortune (why the voluntary £2.50 at tower of London?) or am I out of touch?
    Can anybody please help with the following?
    They will be on a tight budget so staying on the outskirts (near tube station) and sharing one room should keep the price down, yes?
    Reasonably priced eateries?
    Cheapest way to get around if sights are not within walking distance.
    Are there daily coach day trips out to other places?
    They will be arriving from Stansted so I'm not sure which side of the of the city would be better to stay.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Carmen
    Last edited by Carmen; 18-10-2016 at 6:07 PM.
Page 1
    • Castle
    • By Castle 19th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Castle
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    "London Pass" are having another sale on with a 6 day pass available for £109.65 or a 10 day for £127.20. You can also add Oyster cards.
    https://www.londonpass.com/london-pass-prices.php
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 19th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    Three weeks is nothing like long enough to see all the sights of London, but might well be too long to spend sharing a cramped and depressing room. I suggest that they make flexible arrangements so that they can go home when they feel they have had enough -- or run out of money!
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 19th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    Three ladies I know want to visit London in February.
    They want to stay for three weeks, but I feel that would be too long just for taking in the sights.
    Just a quick look at the entrance fees for some of the attractions will cost a small fortune (why the voluntary £2.50 at tower of London?) or am I out of touch?
    Can anybody please help with the following?
    They will be on a tight budget so staying on the outskirts (near tube station) and sharing one room should keep the price down, yes?
    Reasonably priced eateries?
    Cheapest way to get around if sights are not within walking distance.
    Are there daily coach day trips out to other places?
    They will be arriving from Stansted so I'm not sure which side of the of the city would be better to stay.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Carmen
    Originally posted by Carmen
    There are plenty of these around, with varying prices but the cheapest way to visit both Windsor and Hampton Court is by train or Greenline bus.

There's plenty of things to do both in and around London and much of it is free but they might be best to think of renting somewhere with cooking facilities to keep the costs down and to give themselves a bit more space.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 19th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Carmen
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    Thank you kindly for your suggestions.
    Two new revalations since yesterday, the three weeks was actually three days Lost in translation! More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 20th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    colcheslad
    • 20th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    Thank you kindly for your suggestions.
    Two new revalations since yesterday, the three weeks was actually three days Lost in translation! More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen
    I might be wrong but I'm 99% certain they can fly on a French EU ID card, in fact the easyJet website confirms. Might not need those passports after all!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 17,314 Posts
    • 39,408 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 20th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    More importantly they were told they could fly with just their identity cards Did I mention they are french. I await their decision on passports.
    Carmen
    They are quite right! Hopefully they haven't wasted money applying for passports they don't need.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 20th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Carmen
    • 20th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    Thank you both, you are absolutely right, I should have confirmed this sooner.
    Any tweeked help with my original post please?
    Carmen
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 22nd Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Carmen
    • 22nd Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 22nd Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    Can anybody please tell me the best place to see the changing of the guard and hopefully be able to take photo's along side the guards.
    The walking tour might be too much?
    Reviews say the Buckingham Palace is not good, which leaves St James Palace or Wellington Barracks?
    Many thanks
    • KellyOn
    • By KellyOn 8th Nov 16, 1:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    KellyOn
    I think three weeks is too short
    London is awesome
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 8th Nov 16, 3:05 PM
    • 19,068 Posts
    • 31,904 Thanks
    StevieJ
    British Museum - FREE (donations) Awesome.
    ‘Hard as it is to say now.. I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible.’
    Winston Churchill 21st Oct 1942
    • allybee101
    • By allybee101 28th Nov 16, 8:03 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    allybee101
    So many different things to do in London - do they have any particular interests or hobbies? That might influence where they focus their attention i.e Design Museum near Holland Park or Victoria and Albert Museum for art and design enthusiasts, British Museum for all sorts of exhibits, Kew Gardens has seasonal Christmas displays, Natural History Museum and Science Museum for science-lovers.

Might be worth checking out the Hop-on-hop-off bus tours. Generally a reasonable price to get around the major hot spots pretty efficiently, commentary in multiple languages and you can get a real flavour of a place.
    I did one in San Francisco and it was great.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
    • macman
    • By macman 29th Nov 16, 12:46 PM
    • 40,149 Posts
    • 16,259 Thanks
    macman
    So many different things to do in London - do they have any particular interests or hobbies? That might influence where they focus their attention i.e Design Museum near Holland Park or Victoria and Albert Museum for art and design enthusiasts, British Museum for all sorts of exhibits, Kew Gardens has seasonal Christmas displays, Natural History Museum and Science Museum for science-lovers.

Might be worth checking out the Hop-on-hop-off bus tours. Generally a reasonable price to get around the major hot spots pretty efficiently, commentary in multiple languages and you can get a real flavour of a place.
    I did one in San Francisco and it was great.
    Originally posted by allybee101
    The smart alternative to this is to use the no. 15 bus route, which passes many of the classic heritage sites, and uses the original Routemasters. Much cheaper, and you can change buses within the hour for no extra cost. OP, remember that to use the buses you must have a contactless debit card or an Oystercard-no cash fares anywhere on London buses.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • susancs
    • By susancs 2nd Dec 16, 1:20 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    susancs
    If they want to see the Queens guards close up and have photos beside the mounted guards, Whitehall is great for that (5 mins walk from Charing Cross station). The national art gallery is in Trafalgar square and the old church of St Martins is ther and has a reasonably priced cafe in the crypt. They could also get the no 15 old routemaster bus nearby (avoid the newer buses on the route) as it goes past a lot of the London attractions such as the Law Courts, St pauls etc on its way to the Tower of London. The Tower is well worth a visit in my opinion.

If they are coming from the airport via train they can use the train tickets with vouchers on the link below site to get 2 for 1 entry to places like the Tower.
    https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london/london-attractions#/

They can use contactless bank card for travel or if they cannot use their cards without bank charges in the UK then they coudl get an oyster card on arrival (they will pay a refundable deposit for the card and need to add funds to it). If they hand it back in an undrground station office before heading home they will get the deposit and nay small amount left refunded.

The Natural History, Science and V&a are all beside each other by South Kensington tube station and are free entry. A short wald from there brings you to Kensington Gardens and the Albert Memorial and palace.

if they go to Waterloo or Westminster stations the London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben are all there. River boats go from there to the Tower.

Get into London theatre sale will be opening up soon (already si if you have a mastercard) and they ahve cheap theatre seats for a lot of shows in January and February.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter