Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 18th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 227Posts
    • 31Thanks
    roytom
    faulty Samsung Galaxy Note 2014
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    faulty Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 18th Oct 16 at 5:37 PM
    I bought this from a high street store in the first quarter of 2015 - therefore it should be covered by the Samsung 2 year warrantee. Its developed a fault in that it heats up and rapidly discharges the battery making it unusable.

But when I took it to one of their Repair Centres they said they could not take it for evaluation etc because it was manufactured more that 2 years ago and the receipt didn't have the item's serial number on it. Well it wouldn't, would it - they don't do that when you buy anything.

I've gone back to Samsung's HQ and am awaiting a response.

Has anyone else had this treatment from on of Samsung's Repair Centres?

ta
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    A manufacturer's warranty is in addition to statutory rights and the manufacturer can therefore stipulate exactly what is covered and under what circumstance. Aren't you supposed to register your device at the time of purchase? I would imagine that's what is meant by there being no serial number on the receipt.

Sounds like you might have more luck with the retailer who sold you the item in the first place...
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 18th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    has it been flashed with a custom rom or is it still original firmware, have you tripped knox?
    • roytom
    • By roytom 19th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    roytom
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    Faulty Samsung Galaxy Note 2014
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    Thanks.

The tablet has not been changed or flashed and apart from Samsung's own upgrades it's exactly as it was out of the box. It's had light use and never dropped.

I did register it immediately after purchase but Samsung say they cannot find this in their records.

I'll go back to Argos to ask them to help.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 17,234 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    Argos may ask you to provide an independent report stating it is inherently faulty. This will cost you but if it comes back on your side then you will be reimbursed by Argos.

Also, they may offer you a partial refund rather than a repair or a new one. I'm not sure what they are like on that score.

• roytom
    • By roytom 24th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    roytom
    • 24th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    Samsung Tablet faulty within their 2 year warranty
    • 24th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    Thanks.

Samsung definitely give a 2 year warranty with all their goods - longer, during sales promotions, on things like washing machines.

BTW. the duff tablet probably has a graphics chip fault - it gets very hot while doing things like games, videos etc then freezes or stutters, hangs and immediately drains the battery.

Samsung has now shifted its argument back to the ploy that its out of its 2 year warranty as it was **manufactured** longer than 2 years ago. Yet I bought it (from Argos) well under 2 years back. The fact I didn't source it straight from one of Samsung's factories doesn't seem to count with them.

Since when did a warranty not run from the time of purchase, ie. from new and box just opened?

With all this messing about I won't be buying Samsung again!

btw. Agros so far as refused to help - long live John Lewis, I'll bet they would be able to solve this especially as they usually give a 2 year warranty themselves on such items.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 24th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 24th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    (Samsung definitely give a 2 year warranty with all their goods - longer, during sales promotions, on things like washing machines. )

Yes but it is a limited warranty subject to terms and conditions .

As said under Sale of Goods Act your redress is with the vendor .
    • roytom
    • By roytom 25th Nov 16, 7:14 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    roytom
    • 25th Nov 16, 7:14 PM
    • 25th Nov 16, 7:14 PM
    Eventually, with some persuasion, Samsung agreed to arrange collection of my tablet for it, supposedly, to be repaired.

The Samsung's repair agents, Anovo of Norwich, just sat on it for two weeks. Therefore I was back to my beloved Samsung to ask what's going on. They told me to phone the repair agent myself directly but gave me the wrong number.

Next day again back to Samsung and I requested that they phone the repair agents themselves which they did while I was on hold . " they say the device is out of warranty " - it's not of course, so then they want me to send my receipt by email to the repair agents. Then what? I ask. "So they can send the device back to you" Why? "So you can start the whole process back over again" Why? No answer.

So back it comes with a stroppy letter (ghost written by Samsumg) that says they tried to contact me to ask if I wanted to pay for the repair. No, They never contacted me and no I'm not paying.

So what's the conclusion in this matter? I for one will never touch another Samsung product with a bargepole.

Looking at Google this is all too familiar pattern on behalf of Samsung's repair agents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,320Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin