Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 4Thanks
    emmasaunders
    Cyclist collision at mini round about
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    Cyclist collision at mini round about 18th Oct 16 at 4:39 PM
    Hi advice on whose at fault. Last night at around sunset, a cyclist hit me at a mini round about drivers front wing. I pulled up at mini round about and saw the car to my right stationary so proceeded to enter the round about. I then hear a thud and a cyclist has collided with my rhs near the mini round about. I didn't see him, I imagine when I pulled off he was at the right side of the car at my right so I had no clear view of him, plus he was wearing all black, no pedal reflectors and no front light, just a back light, no helmet. I wish I took a photo of the fact he had no front light on at the scene. He didn't require and ambulance but was hit from bike. Any ideas how this may unfold? He stated that he saw a learner to his right and thought he could make it in time and probably didn't look infront. I understand traffic to the right has right of way but when a car to my right has stopped to give way to me it necessitates that I should have entered the round about, I imagine the cyclist didn't come to a stop at the give way sign and was just concentrating on beating traffic to his right
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    Someone else volunteering to give way doesn't mean road users can ignore correct right of way.
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    I didn't say it did, but how am I possibly going to see a cyclist if he is at the right of a stationary vehicle with no lights and in dark clothing, if the cyclist had taken a central position in front of the stationary vehicle I could have seen his position and intent or lack of to move. Its a perfect time to enter a mini round about when cars to your right are stationary as they are waiting for cars to their right to pass
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    I'd say it's your fault.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    I didn't say it did, but how am I possibly going to see a cyclist if he is at the right of a stationary vehicle with no lights and in dark clothing, if the cyclist had taken a central position in front of the stationary vehicle I could have seen his position and intent or lack of to move. Its a perfect time to enter a mini round about when cars to your right are stationary as they are waiting for cars to their right to pass
    Originally posted by emmasaunders
    Because the person entering the roundabout should be observing properly to give way to all road users on the right.
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    even though he did not have lights was dressed in black and had no reflectors?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 23,281 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    OK i will bite....

He was to your right and you didnt look properly?

If someone gives way to you you dont automatically get the right of
    way over every other road user. You only go IF SAFE.

Seems it wasnt safe and you didnt look properly.

The other vehicle being stopped or waving you on is irrelevent, you
    should have given way and you didnt.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 18th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 10,438 Posts
    • 5,754 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    I'd say, it sounds nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4pkABK4hfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJBNiEVSug
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    Does that prevent you looking? What happens when you're required to give way to a black vehicle?
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    Ok should the cyclist have had lights on, reflectors and a helmet so he is CLEARLY visible even when behind stationary vehicles
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Contributory factors to you not seeing him. Did the police attend?
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    black vehicles have headlights
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    No police, no ambulance
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 10,117 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Ok should the cyclist have had lights on, reflectors and a helmet so he is CLEARLY visible even when behind stationary vehicles
    Someone giving way voluntarily should be treated as a stationary/parked vehicle, which required you to expect another road user to over take the stationary vehicle. You chose not to wait a second or two to look.
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    on a single carriage road I should expect a vehicle to take over another at the entry to a round about - doesn't sound right to me. I should have waited just in case a cyclist was passing on the inside? I paused so no cyclist and no danger and entered the round about. The ninja cyclist would not have been visible. So what is one to do, I could have paused for 5 seconds and on the 6 th and 7th seconds the cyclist could have decided to overtake a car and enter the round about at speed - he had a responsibility to make himself visible
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 18th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    on a single carriage road I should expect a vehicle to take over another at the entry to a round about - doesn't sound right to me. I should have waited just in case a cyclist was passing on the inside? I paused so no cyclist and no danger and entered the round about. The ninja cyclist would not have been visible. So what is one to do, I could have paused for 5 seconds and on the 6 th and 7th seconds the cyclist could have decided to overtake a car and enter the round about at speed - he had a responsibility to make himself visible
    Yes, and as a driver of a potentially lethal weapon, you have a responsibility to expect the unexpected.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    Guest101

...... good luck with that one, I presume the cyclist is claiming from your insurance?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    DoaM
    The tone of some of the replies here is somewhat harsh (not helped by the OP "biting"). However the general thrust is correct ... unfortunately the OP is in the wrong, irrespective of contributory factors.

If it had been a black car with no lights on when they should have been then the black car would have had at least an equal liability.

Did the stationary car have lights on?

Was it at a time of day when lights were required? (You said sunset ... were the street lights on?)
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 18th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Money maker
    Why do cyclists not value their brains, can't believe how foolish some can be wearing no helmet and often with their presumably valueless offspring also wearing no helmet.

I feel better now.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • emmasaunders
    • By emmasaunders 18th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emmasaunders
    Yes the stationary car had lights on, and street lamps were on - it was passed sunset so cyclist should have been light up, infact he had his back light on but that's it so he was aware that it was dark.

Im not looking to solely blame the cyclist but Im at quite a loss that this happened. Im a cyclist myself. I asked the guy where he came from and why he didnt have lights and a helmet, truth is I believe he was racing along to beat the traffic. If he had came to a stop at the junction he would have had plenty of time to break and not cycle into me - the mini roundabout width is incredibly small and only perhaps three pedals needed to clear it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter