Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 18th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 472Posts
    • 149Thanks
    darkcloudi
    Smart Parking Fine - Astle Outlet Park
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    Smart Parking Fine - Astle Outlet Park 18th Oct 16 at 4:19 PM
    I recently got a fine, should have checked the stickies before lodging an appeal.

The problem I have is the payment machine at Astle Outlet Park was not working at the Gym (Gym members get a discount), was advised by a member of staff no payment was required due to this, so continued with my workout. Unfortunately I got injured at the gym (my fault, crushed my fingers between two dumbbells) and was taken to hospital on this day.

I was advised by the gym verbally it was ok to keep the car at the outlet park and no payment was required. Was also told they will advise Smart Parking since I was taken in by ambulance. I just received a fine for this, i'm assuming the company Smart Parking should have common sense in this case and withdraw the fine?

Has anyone had similar circumstances where they are unable to drive there car due to injury and left it on site. My car was then driven out by my dad 5 hours longer then my usual stay as was in hospital for the duration of that time.

I have lodged an appeal and sent them photos of my injury but not sure what would happen in these scenarios especially when you get told no payment is required verbally and then get a PCN through the post.
Page 1
    • Carthesis
    • By Carthesis 18th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Carthesis
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    Get on to the gym. Get in touch with the manager and insist they contact (not-so-)Smart and get the charge cancelled. Point out to them this is what you were told to do by a member of their own staff.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 18th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    Get on to the gym. Get in touch with the manager and insist they contact (not-so-)Smart and get the charge cancelled. Point out to them this is what you were told to do by a member of their own staff.
    Originally posted by Carthesis
    Will pop down to the gym today, hopefully common sense will prevail.
    • Carthesis
    • By Carthesis 18th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Carthesis
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    Make sure you talk to the manager, and ideally do so where other people / members can hear you complaining about this charge.

Make sure you get his/her name and email address.

Insist on cancellation, and insist that they email you to confirm.

As soon as you get home, email the manager you spoke to and confirm with them that you spoke to them on such-and-such a date, and it was agreed that blah blah, and you look forward to hearing back from them that this charge has been cancelled, and thank you for your help.

If they come back to you with "we can't do anything because we aren't the landowners etc." then ask for the landowner details, and contact their CEO and get them involved.

Sadly, you seem to need to be quite bolshy about this sometimes.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 18th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    ", i'm assuming the company Smart Parking should have common sense in this case and withdraw the fine?"

you have a lot to learn about the murky world of parking on private land

as well as the advice above I would sugest a read of the newbies thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 40,322 Posts
    • 52,165 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    If the complaint does not work, DO NOT imply who was driving in your first appeal because a registered keeper appellant can easily beat Smart at POPLA stage (due to their NTK not being POFA worded, it's a driver-only one).

Hence the keeper appeals and wins in the end, every time. Easy. Use the blue writing template appeal from the NEWBIES thread as your starter for ten.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 26th Nov 16, 5:15 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 26th Nov 16, 5:15 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 5:15 PM
    Thought I update this thread, to say got a letter today to say the PCN got cancelled
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 27th Nov 16, 12:37 AM
    • 40,322 Posts
    • 52,165 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 27th Nov 16, 12:37 AM
    • 27th Nov 16, 12:37 AM
    Yay, well done!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin