Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newbie221
    • By newbie221 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    newbie221
    Negotiating on rent for a first time couple
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    Negotiating on rent for a first time couple 18th Oct 16 at 1:57 PM
    I don't know if anyone can help, but me and my partner both have good solid jobs and are ready to move out, we are looking at renting to begin. Is it possible to negotiate rent with an estate agents, we are looking and currently one property is £750 for a one bedroom and the same estate agents have a two bedroom for £750 also. If so how much would you deem to be appropriate, we are both able to provide a deposit and rent to about a month in advance but we also are looking for a long term property, so definitely a 12 month contract, we don't have pets nor do we smoke.

Thanks in advance!!!

Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 11,976 Posts
    • 11,424 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    I don't know if anyone can help, but me and my partner both have good solid jobs and are ready to move out, we are looking at renting to begin. Is it possible to negotiate rent with an estate agents, we are looking and currently one property is £750 for a one bedroom and the same estate agents have a two bedroom for £750 also. If so how much would you deem to be appropriate, we are both able to provide a deposit and rent to about a month in advance but we also are looking for a long term property, so definitely a 12 month contract, we don't have pets nor do we smoke.

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by newbie221

Deposit + one months rent + fees is the starting point you'll need

Negotiating only works if supply outstrips demand.

You can of course ask, but as the agent just represents the LL, ultimately it's up to him/her/them
    • nubbins
    • By nubbins 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    nubbins
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by newbie221
    Try it, nothing to lose... finger in the air and sell yourself I would go for £700
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 18th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 17,408 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    Are they comparable properties though? Is the 1 bed in a 'better' area, nearer transport links, have better amenities in and around the area etc? What price are 1/2 bed flats advertised for in that area? Is the 1 bed overpriced, or the 2 bed underpriced?

The fact they are with the same agent means nothing. Not all 2 beds are priced the same, not all 1 beds are priced the same etc.

• deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 19th Oct 16, 12:29 AM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:29 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 12:29 AM
    That's quite a lot for a one bed (about the price in my area), I suspect you will be in a high demand area (although I stand to be corrected). You might be lucky with trying to negotiate, but don't expect too much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter