Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FearLM
    • By FearLM 18th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FearLM
    Can I get my default removed?
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    Can I get my default removed? 18th Oct 16 at 1:25 PM
    Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me.
    I got a default on my account from an unpaid student overdraft. I had spoken to the bank back in November as I was very unwell and no longer able to work, they put a hold on my account for 6 months so I would not have to pay anything and we could re-negotiate after this time.
    It's important to know that every time this bank have had to contact me they have called, I have only had a few letters from them (following phone calls) over 6 years.
    As a result of being unwell and unable to work or claim any sort of benefits I had to move out of my home as I could no longer afford it, I forgot to change my address with this bank, to be honest it just wasn't at the front of my mind.
    The bank never contacted me via phone, however this month I noticed I have a default from this account due to not starting to pay the overdraft after the 6 months.
    They said they sent me letters, though I did not receive them as I had changed address however they made no other attempt to get in contact. I feel this was unreasonable considering they usually call.
    I am finally getting my life back on track after getting ill (I understand I should've changed my address but feel it was unreasonable of them to not contact me to ask why I had not responded to the letters they apparently sent) this default could make getting my life back together quite difficult.
    Is there anything I can do?!
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 9,394 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    No. They're not required to call.

If you move house and don't tell them, it's unreasonable to expect them to be running around after you.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 18th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    Not really im afraid.

Your credit report is used by banks to ascertain your ability to pay back debts (they have their own systems aswell but the credit report is a general overview). You havent paid back a debt therefore they leave a mark (the default) to say so as a warning for want of a better word to other lenders.

They have tried to contact you through letter (the usual method when chasing debts and issuing defaults) and have been unable to contact you, this makes it looks like you have done a runner. You havent notified them of a change of address and you havent tried to make contact with them knowing full well you had outstanding debt with them.

Unfortunately the situation you describe is exactly why they use defaults.

Theres a few options for you going forward. Pay off the debt, the default will be removed after 6 years. Dont pay off the debt, the comapny will likely chase you in the courts, the default will drop off your account but will likely be replaced by a CCJ which will make your credit report look worse.

The best thing to do (generally) is to pay off the debt as soon as possible. And your credit file will slowly improve to the extent where you should be able to borrow money (likely at a higher cost) Failing to pay the debt will mean your credit file will unlikely to improve and getting credit for the 6 years could prove difficult and or v expensive.

Unfortunately there are very few mitigating circumstances when it comes to paying debts. I tend to go on the basis of i need to pay unless im dead.

Sorry i cant offer anything nicer. You need to repay your debts when agreed otherwise people dont want to lend you money. Fine if you dont want to borrow money, most people do though.
    Don't be angry!
    • jockpk
    • By jockpk 18th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jockpk
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    I had 2 sim only 1 month contracts with talk mobile, 2 years later I cancelled them in june 2015, in December 2015 I got a letter from a debt collector, on contacting talk mobile they said they had tried to contact me by text they then said don't worry it is now sorted out. June 2015 I find I have a mark on my credit file due to this and every time I phone them they say don't worry we will remove it. But it is still there even after countless phone calls and letters to credit agency's and talk mobile. In the process of checking my credit file I find I have 2 other negatives on my file, one because I have used 80% of my credit limit on one card, I have told them I have 3 more cards that are not showing on my credit files, they say I will have to prove this to get this amended. Also in the process of checking my file I find due to a problem with my credit card company, again in May 2015 ( they admitted they to blame for this ) the direct debit got cancelled so no payment went through on that month that is the 3rd negative on my credit file all of which I can accept no blame and I am still trying to get these corrected. HOW CAN THESE COMPANYES BE ALLOWED TO DO THESE THINGS
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    I had 2 sim only 1 month contracts with talk mobile, 2 years later I cancelled them in june 2015, in December 2015 I got a letter from a debt collector, on contacting talk mobile they said they had tried to contact me by text they then said don't worry it is now sorted out. June 2015 I find I have a mark on my credit file due to this and every time I phone them they say don't worry we will remove it. But it is still there even after countless phone calls and letters to credit agency's and talk mobile. In the process of checking my credit file I find I have 2 other negatives on my file, one because I have used 80% of my credit limit on one card, I have told them I have 3 more cards that are not showing on my credit files, they say I will have to prove this to get this amended. Also in the process of checking my file I find due to a problem with my credit card company, again in May 2015 ( they admitted they to blame for this ) the direct debit got cancelled so no payment went through on that month that is the 3rd negative on my credit file all of which I can accept no blame and I am still trying to get these corrected. HOW CAN THESE COMPANYES BE ALLOWED TO DO THESE THINGS
    Originally posted by jockpk

Because they are not regulated in any meaningful way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter