Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 18th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 938Posts
    • 993Thanks
    Beenie
    Safety glasses- need some advice please
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    Safety glasses- need some advice please 18th Oct 16 at 1:12 PM
    I bought some safety glasses from the optical centre at our local Costco. My eyes were tested and I also got a new prescription at the same time. The glasses were ordered and I collected them two weeks later.

When I got home, after being satisfied in the store that the glasses were OK and of the correct prescription, I found that there was no leaflet/certificate inside the case.

My understanding is that any optical safety item should carry such an explanatory leaflet/manufacturers certificate. This is because you need to know what the 'safety level' is - OK for woodwork but not metalwork etc.

I rang the optician and the person answering the phone agreed with me and said they would get on to the supplier. I have telephoned and called in personally since then and nothing has happened.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or should I escalate this somehow? Trading Standards is not appropriate because the eye test and glasses are fine. It's the guaranteed safety level that I am concerned about.
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 11,451 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    My safety specs have the appropriate BSI marking etched into each lens.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 18-10-2016 at 1:51 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 18th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    Just checked, there is no etching that I can see.

The glasses came from Uvex, which is (I think) a German optical company.
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    It is illegal to supply safety specs without the correct markings IF they haven't got the markings they are not safety specs

They need to be stamped on both the lenses and the frame with correct stamps

These stamps will show correct level of protection.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 18th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    Thanks. We found some code numbers on the frame and lens and were able to tell the standard from the Uvex website. Apparently, they withstand a ball bearing fired at 100mph, so I am happy but puzzled why the optician could not have told me this simple and obvious info!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

1,485Users online

Martin's Twitter