Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingbuxton13
    • By kingbuxton13 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kingbuxton13
    Lost Train Ticket
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    Lost Train Ticket 18th Oct 16 at 12:43 PM
    Looking for a bit of advice as to where I can direct my issue with this one.

Purchased a return ticket from Flint to Blackpool over the weekend. When coming back from Blackpool, my partner had mislaid the ticket for the return leg. I had email confirmation on my of the original purchase from trainline.com but the lady at the ticket office at the station unsurprisingly told me it was worth nothing and I needed to purchase a ticket for my journey home.

I am looking to provide evidence I had purchased a valid ticket and hopefully retrospectively claim back the money I paid. The main sticking point is who do I direct the complaint to?

I bought the replacement ticket from Blackpool Station. We changed at Preston onto a Virgin Train. We got off at Warringon Bank Quay and boarded and Arriva train home?
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 17,419 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    Looking for a bit of advice as to where I can direct my issue with this one.

Purchased a return ticket from Flint to Blackpool over the weekend. When coming back from Blackpool, my partner had mislaid the ticket for the return leg. I had email confirmation on my of the original purchase from trainline.com but the lady at the ticket office at the station unsurprisingly told me it was worth nothing and I needed to purchase a ticket for my journey home.

I am looking to provide evidence I had purchased a valid ticket and hopefully retrospectively claim back the money I paid. The main sticking point is who do I direct the complaint to?

I bought the replacement ticket from Blackpool Station. We changed at Preston onto a Virgin Train. We got off at Warringon Bank Quay and boarded and Arriva train home?
    Originally posted by kingbuxton13
    Unfortunately you are unlikely to get anywhere with your quest.

Even if you can conclusively prove that that you bought the ticket, and also prove without any doubt that you or your partner didn't use the ticket, you have no way of proving that the ticket hasn't been used by someone else.

You have to see this from 'the railway's' point of view. If they were to refund you there would be many people buying tickets and passing them to friends then saying "I have lost my ticket. Here's my proof of purchase. Please can I have a refund".

Train tickets should be looked after as if they are cash.
    Would you, or your partner, lose a 50 note? Or even a 10 note?

Sorry that isn't what you want to hear.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    Have you been able to find the misplaced ticket? If so, and if you can return it plus the reciept for the replacement they may be willing to refund the cheaper of the two, but as it was you (your partner)'s fault , not that of the train co. I think that any refund would be strictly as the discretion of the company.
    Last edited by TBagpuss; 18-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    • kingbuxton13
    • By kingbuxton13 18th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kingbuxton13
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    I have contacted the hotel where she left the ticket but we cant get hold of them. More than likely they will have got rid of it.

I appreciate what everybody is saying, and I may well be p*ssing into the wind, but I definately feel its harsh and worth appealing.

My main issue, as stated previous, is where do I appeal to? I have used 3 different trains?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 18th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 17,419 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    My main issue, as stated previous, is where do I appeal to? I have used 3 different trains?
    Whoever you bought the ticket from.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 3,473 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    Whoever you bought the ticket from.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    In which case as you used the Train Line you are unlikely to get anything back as their customer services can be lacking at times.

(And for future reference, don't buy via the Trainline as they are pretty much always never cheaper than buying direct from Virgin Trains/Northern/Arriva Trains Wales etc, plus charge booking fees
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    The main sticking point is who do I direct the complaint to?
    Your partner, who lost the ticket.

No-one else has any responsibility.
    Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 18th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    yorkie2
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    ... who do I direct the complaint to?...
    No-one, surely?
    • kingbuxton13
    • By kingbuxton13 19th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kingbuxton13
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    Your agreement is irrelevant. I am not asking if I have a case, I am asking who would be best to direct the complaint to. Is everybody on this board this snarky, I am completely aware its my partners fault!

The original ticket was bought from trainline BUT the replacement I had to buy at Blackpool train station?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 19th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Is the ticket lost or did she/he leave it at the hotel?

Your only hope is to produce the lost/left ticket and appeal to the company you purchased it from.

Your issue is not a complaint and I certainly wouldn't take that angle if I wanted to appeal to a company's good nature.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • kingbuxton13
    • By kingbuxton13 19th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kingbuxton13
    Is the ticket lost or did she/he leave it at the hotel?

Your only hope is to produce the lost/left ticket and appeal to the company you purchased it from.

Your issue is not a complaint and I certainly wouldn't take that angle if I wanted to appeal to a company's good nature.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    It was left at the hotel and the hotel disposed of it basically.

I see your point in respect of the complaint and having drafted the letter it is more of a kind request. That being said, I dont see why we are in the day and age of having to deal in paper tickets but that is a conversation for another day.

Regardless of the flack I am getting on here, I honestly feel its worth a shot at least, I just wanted to know who best to direct my "polite request" to.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 19th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 17,419 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Your agreement is irrelevant. I am not asking if I have a case, I am asking who would be best to direct the complaint to. Is everybody on this board this snarky, I am completely aware its my partners fault!

The original ticket was bought from trainline BUT the replacement I had to buy at Blackpool train station?
    Snarky?

I guess we are not telling you what you want to hear.

Good luck... you'll need it.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 19th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    My wife lost one of those shiny new fivers the other day. She left it in our hotel room. We have phoned the hotel but they are unable to help. Presumably they have cleared it away.

If we contact the Bank of England, do you think they will issue her with another fiver?

We are sure that no one else has used that fiver.

OP, you are in a not dissimilar situation.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • kingbuxton13
    • By kingbuxton13 19th Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kingbuxton13
    You are 100% correct, you arent telling me what I want to hear.

The question I am asking (and I have asked a good number of times now) is where should I direct my letter too.

I didnt ask about opinions on how successfull you think I would be, I didnt ask about a crap analogy about a shiny new fiver pound note, I just asked where would I direct the letter to. That was all.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 19th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 17,419 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
    wealdroam

The question I am asking (and I have asked a good number of times now) is where should I direct my letter too.

I didnt ask about opinions on how successfull you think I would be, I didnt ask about a crap analogy about a shiny new fiver pound note, I just asked where would I direct the letter to. That was all.
    Haven't you had the answer to your question?

Or do you want someone to search for the train line dot com's postal address for you?

Do come back and tell us how you get on.
    Any success will be useful to others.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 19th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 23,247 Posts
    • 279,703 Thanks
    davemorton
    Purely out of interest, would it be the same if it was a ticket for a set train, with a reserved seat, so that you could prove that no one else was using it?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 27,742 Posts
    • 17,517 Thanks
    DCFC79
    No-one, surely?
    Originally posted by yorkie2
    Surely the person who lost the ticket which in this case its the girlfriend.

OP the train company didnt lose the ticket, you did or your gf did.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 20-10-2016 at 7:30 AM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Oct 16, 11:45 PM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Purely out of interest, would it be the same if it was a ticket for a set train, with a reserved seat, so that you could prove that no one else was using it?
    Originally posted by davemorton
    How does that prove anything though ? Loads of people don't sit in the correct reserved seats ....
    • photome
    • By photome 20th Oct 16, 6:43 AM
    • 11,999 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome

post #5 answered your question.

I, like others fail to see why you should be refunded
    • duchy
    • By duchy 20th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 17,823 Posts
    • 45,073 Thanks
    duchy
    As a train user I'm not sure why you expect me to subsidise your loss due to your partner's carelessness. Presumably you were also in the same room though but I'm sure there must be good reasons why it was their singular responsibility. Did neither of you do a room sweep before checking out ?

You could write a letter and you might get a goodwill gesture in the form of vouchers for future travel, anything more is very unlikely in the circumstances you've described. As for where to find the address, you could google for it or even tweet the train company for it.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,113Users online

Martin's Twitter