Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Jon81
    • By Jon81 18th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 162Thanks
    Forcing Defaults
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    Forcing Defaults 18th Oct 16 at 12:33 PM
    Quick question to gather peoples thoughts

I am currently on a DMP with StepChange, I've been looking at my Noddle file and some of the creditors have defaulted me around the same time.

Some of the others however haven't defaulted me and have either marked my file as having missed payments/up to date or arrangement to pay or DMP markers.

Question is, should I be writing to these creditors and asking them to default the accounts as I'm aware that them being on arrangement to pay will only begin their 6 year clock ticking once they are settled.

Just wondered about peoples thoughts and if I should try and get them all defaulted now
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:19 PM

In terms of your credit history improving more quickly in the long run, it’s best to default on the debts if possible. The creditors who have marked your file with arrangement to pay may not add a default unless you break the current arrangement by missing payments though.

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    Best way to do it is to take matters into your own hands.

May be more difficult now you are in a DMP, but 6 months of non payment usually gets the desired default.

Usually best to do this before entering any debt management plan though.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,340Posts Today

8,433Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• The MSE weekly email: Energy hike warning, No7 trick, £400 marriage bonus, £3 photo mug, railcard 15%off, 3.1% loan

• Follow Martin