Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 18th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 260Posts
    • 47Thanks
    tizzle6560
    Is this really necessary??
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    Is this really necessary?? 18th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Some advice on this if you would be so kind.

The company who manage our property (3 leasehold flats in a converted Vic townhouse) are suggesting a full upgrade of the communal area lighting becuase -

"The 3 light fittings in the communal area are fluorescent round bulkheads , they don't like being switched off and on constantly therefore the bulbs will not last more than 3,4months. For trouble free communal lighting please upgrade to led microwave sensor bulkheads.

The elctrician that has attended has provided a quotation to carry out the upgrade;

To upgrade communal lighting of the above property as follows:
    Replace 3 light fittings with microwave sensor controlled l.e.d round bulkheads.
    Remove and blank off switches
    Provide an minor works electrical certificate at completion.
    Time required on site 8 hours
    Cost of materials 250£
    Cost of labour 250£
    Total cost 500£

Rather excessive for 3 lights that get switched on maybe 5 times a day.. Are bulkhead lights really that sensitive to being switched on/off? From memory they have maybe been replaced twice in 2 1/2 years, which I guess answers my question
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 18th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 4,799 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    I was under the impression that the life of fluorescents was based on them being turned on and off several times a day.

Yes they will have a shorter lifespan than LED.

The cost seems to far outweigh any benefit. Id have a look at what bulbs are used and see how many you could buy for the £500 and work out how long they would last bearing in mind life of led equivalent and the cost of those bulbs.
    Don't be angry!
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 18th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    You can probably just get direct LED replacements for the fluorescent tubes, you can for most.

Then you just swap over the bulb, no need for electricians.

To answer your question directly, Is this really necessary? I would say no.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    In most cases you can get a LED replacement "bulb" that will fit in the same fitting space as a fluorescent bulb. I'd agree that the current ones are probably better suited to being on all the time or at least come on at dusk and off at dawn than keep turning on and off because of the starter issue. However the most cost effective solution is just to change the bulb to an LED one that is fine with repeated switching.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 18th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    Expensive microwave operated LED lamps does seem a bit of an overkill.

If the existing switches are OK, what's wrong with just off-the-shelf bulkhead fittings with cheap LED lamps in?
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 18th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    Sounds like they're trying to get you to pay for work which will then save them money over the long term? Sounds overkill to me - £500 buys a lot of bulbs...
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 18th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    You can probably just get direct LED replacements for the fluorescent tubes, you can for most.

Then you just swap over the bulb (sic), no need for electricians.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    I would suggest that to change the lamps for LEDs you will almost certainly need to remove the existing ballast. An Electrician will be needed.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 19th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    I would suggest that to change the lamps for LEDs you will almost certainly need to remove the existing ballast. An Electrician will be needed.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Not necessarily. I have replaced fluorescent tubes where it wasn't necessary to remove the ballast.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 19th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    I've read that LEDs fail early because the electronics don't like on/off cycles, not because the leds themselves fail. So they'll be replacing one type of bulb that doesn't like being turned on and off with another that doesn't like being turned on and off.

Is there any real evidence that the existing fluorescent bulbs need changing that often - have you asked the company for information on that? The fluorescents in my kitchen need changing every four or 5 years on average - one has lasted over 10 years!

Also, you say that this is a suggestion. Can you refuse?
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 19th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    On board ship most places are lit by fluorescent tubes with starters, some rooms were switched on/off a number of times each day and office spaces only two times, did not notice that much difference in how often we were changing tubes.
    In your case I would not change to LED.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 19th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 26,273 Posts
    • 15,801 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Ask to see the records for the maintenance of these fitting over the last 5 years.

it is not just the cost of the replacement but the labor as well each time ones goes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter