Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 18th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 88Thanks
    barnaclebill
    home and heating emergency cover
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    home and heating emergency cover 18th Oct 16 at 12:07 PM
    is it worth having home and heating emergency cover for £68 per year an an extra on you home contents policy, it's included on my new quote and I am considering removing it.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    depends on your need, have you considered putting that 68 pound a year in a repair fund for a rainy day?
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 18th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    Last year I had a new fan fitted in my combi boiler, it ran ok for a month then started having misfires, talked to the makers and found the pcb for the ignition that was probably the cause but it just started working ok and has done for the past year.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    if you have a boiler older than 7 years and it's starting to cause problems, consider saving up for a new one soon.

Some home emergency cover's insist on having it checked yearly and may have exclusions for boilers of a certain age.

Same goes for boiler cover too.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 18th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 6,112 Posts
    • 7,825 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    Like any insurance, if you don't claim you'll think it was a waste of money, if you do you'll appreciate it. We have home emergency cover and our boiler has broken down twice in the last year, and they've fixed it both times. So, we've saved money. But a lot of people will have had home emergency cover and not claimed. That's how insurance works.

How much insurance you take out tends to be a function of how risk averse you are. We tend to not insure everything under the sun - I only left home emergency on our home policy because it was really cheap - only about £30 in our case IIRC. And glad I did! But people who have never needed it will say it wasn't worth it.

One thing to add - with most insurers, home emergency claims don't affect your house insurance no claims discount (but check the policy wording for your insurer to be certain).

p.s. Most home emergency providers only cover the boiler if it's your only source of heating. If the house has alternative heating, your boiler breaking down won't count as an emergency.
    • mcura
    • By mcura 26th Nov 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mcura
    • 26th Nov 16, 10:03 AM
    Boiler Cover from 247 home rescue
    • 26th Nov 16, 10:03 AM
    Having real issues with 247 home rescue having taken out cover based on advice from MSE
    They're refusing to deal with my claim / concerns
    Does anyone know if there's and ombudsman who deals with such issues
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Nov 16, 10:41 AM
    • 30,273 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 26th Nov 16, 10:41 AM
    • 26th Nov 16, 10:41 AM
    Having real issues with 247 home rescue having taken out cover based on advice from MSE
    They're refusing to deal with my claim / concerns
    Does anyone know if there's and ombudsman who deals with such issues
    Originally posted by mcura
    No. They are not insurance based and have no ombudsman or regulator to complain to.

See if trading standards can help otherwise you are left with legal action as a possibility.

(Are you sure MSE recommend them? All you ever see about them on MSE forums are complaints)
    Last edited by Quentin; 26-11-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 26th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    • 26th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    I have breakdown cover with British Gas which includes a yearly service, this would cost a little less than the premium but I have piece of mind.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,244Posts Today

6,243Users online

Martin's Twitter