Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 114Posts
    • 10Thanks
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out.. 18th Oct 16 at 11:54 AM
    I don't want to burn out my clutch and I am a little rusty on driving.

So at traffic lights when waiting can I leave it in first with clutch down with brake on or is that bad for clutch?

When breaking is putting the clutch all the way down and breaking at the same time bad? Should I break then put clutch in at last minute?

Also on hill starts does everyone roll a little bit backwards? I am putting handbrake on building up revs then relasing hand break..

Appreciate your help
Page 6
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 19th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Honestly KMB500, assuming you're not trolling, you might be much better and safer in an automatic.
    Last edited by iolanthe07; 19-10-2016 at 2:38 PM. Reason: typo
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop
    You don't go down through the gears - you stay in the gear you're in, and put the clutch in, basically, as late as possibe, before the engine would fight back or stall. Let's say for the sake of argument, 2,000 RPM.
    I live in Cambridgeshire which is exceptionally flat and has no hills to speak of at all. Why would I have ever seen a sign like that?
    You would have seen it in the Highway Code, when studying for your driving test. It shows a DOWNhill, and advises you to choose a LOW gear. You go down the hill in a low gear, no accelerator, no clutch, using engine braking (that's the engine being 'run' by the movement of the wheels, rather than burning fuel) to hold down the speed. Why not just use the brakes? Because you'll heat them up, and could burn them.
    You say you've driven an MX-5. Do you realise it's rear wheel drive? Did you ever drive it in the snow? Down a hill for example? This is a classic place to NOT coast. If you need to brake, you'll be doing so mostly with the front wheels, and could lock them (or activate ABS, which is still undesirable). If you were using engine braking, the rear wheels would be helping the front wheels, and you would be less likely to lock up.
    When the car starts to vibrate a bit is this when you know it is time to do clutch and break together?
    Do it just before the vibration.

if you go in a lower gear down a hill it limits how fast you go and stops you from naturally accelerating from gravity and momentum...
    DING! Yes, that's it! Except engine braking doesn't work if you only ever drive with the accelerator or clutch depressed, like you said at the start.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,657Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter