Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out.. 18th Oct 16 at 11:54 AM
    I don't want to burn out my clutch and I am a little rusty on driving.

So at traffic lights when waiting can I leave it in first with clutch down with brake on or is that bad for clutch?

When breaking is putting the clutch all the way down and breaking at the same time bad? Should I break then put clutch in at last minute?

Also on hill starts does everyone roll a little bit backwards? I am putting handbrake on building up revs then relasing hand break..

Appreciate your help
Page 4
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    GwylimT
    My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.

If slowing and not expecting to come to a dead stop, it was suggested to slow to the speed of the gear you expect to pull off in using the brakes. and jump from say 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd etc.

I don't recall climbing down the gears being a requirement in the driving theory (I could easily be proved wrong), which makes it a suggestion rather than a rule right? To be clear, I'm not suggesting you coast or ride the clutch by saying this, just slow using the brakes until the clutch needs to go down.

Not an expert, and I'm very open to being given evidence of being wrong.
    Originally posted by dcouponzzzz
    Drivers are still taught to slow down using gears, but are now taught its okay to skip gears as you go down. When you slow down using the brake you brake until the clutch needs to to down then change gear, otherwise you are coasting which definitely shouldn't be taught by instructors. Coasting should lead to minors on the practical test.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 18th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 12,705 Posts
    • 7,995 Thanks
    arcon5
    I'm guessing we have the whole of the 1% of motorists that don't coast at all on this thread.

I, like every driver I've ever seen or known, coast to traffic lights... a danger to other road users my !!!!. If somebody rear ends me it's them that's a danger not me.
    • phoenix_w
    • By phoenix_w 18th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    phoenix_w
    My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.
    Originally posted by dcouponzzzz
    My car certainly wouldn't like it if I decelerated from 50mph in 5th gear to a dead stop without changing down (good) or riding the clutch (bad).

Modern kit is pretty reliable - not only will cars let you change from 5th-3rd-1st without much penalty if you're desperate to save a few changes, but I can rack up 90K of mostly city driving (read - mostly stuck in traffic humming to the radio) changing gears and using the clutch willy nilly and still have the clutch feel as "high" as it did when the car was brand new.

As long as you don't drive like a complete loon (coasting everywhere, practicing clutchless changes for fun, changing from 5th->4th->3rd->2nd->1st in rapid succession when having to break hard on a motorway) most clutches will give years of trusty service.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    GwylimT
    I'm guessing we have the whole of the 1% of motorists that don't coast at all on this thread.

I, like every driver I've ever seen or known, coast to traffic lights... a danger to other road users my !!!!. If somebody rear ends me it's them that's a danger not me.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    I never coast. However if that happens when coasting you are far more likely to be shunted into a vehicle or person in front. Of course you can't stop someone going into the back of you, but you can prevent further injury to both yourself and other road users by not coasting.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    DoaM
    Define coasting ...

The last couple of seconds approaching lights before you come to a stop, wherein you press the clutch and go to neutral from 1st or 2nd and apply the handbrake? Agreed - almost everyone will do this.

Going from, say, 4th gear you press the clutch and coast 50m to the lights before going to neutral and applying the handbrake? No way Jose; this is bad (IMHO).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bsod
    • By bsod 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    if you're in gear and someone rear ends you, engine braking isn't going to be any assistance, it's more likely to propel the car further forward
    Last edited by bsod; 18-10-2016 at 5:05 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl

Sorry mate but I never do either.
    • phoenix_w
    • By phoenix_w 18th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    phoenix_w
    If somebody hits you at the force you suggest what do you think is gonna happen to your foot on the clutch... here's a hint... it's not gonna stay there
    Yep, and even for that fraction of a second it's taken to disengage the clutch you've lurched forward with little resistance and your stopping distance will be greater than if you decelerated properly in the first place.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    GwylimT
    if you're in gear and someone rear ends you, engine breaking isn't going to be any assistance.
    Originally posted by bsod
    It will compared to not being in gear without the hand brake on as it will reduce the distance the vehicle is shunted and also prevents a stall shunt.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Sorry, but you now have to be trolling.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Why must I be trolling? I have seen very occasionally a gradient sign when I've been on holiday (not me driving), but never seen one that says "Low gear". I didn't realise that was a real picture when you posted it.

I live in Cambridgeshire which is exceptionally flat and has no hills to speak of at all. Why would I have ever seen a sign like that?

I never coast. However if that happens when coasting you are far more likely to be shunted into a vehicle or person in front. Of course you can't stop someone going into the back of you, but you can prevent further injury to both yourself and other road users by not coasting.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    I'm not gonna change my driving style based on "what if someone rams into me", that's absurd. That is their problem not mine if they go into the back of me.
    • bsod
    • By bsod 18th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    It will compared to not being in gear without the hand brake on as it will reduce the distance the vehicle is shunted and also prevents a stall shunt.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    if the handbrake is on, and the clutch is up, the car is stalled.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Why must I be trolling? I have seen very occasionally a gradient sign when I've been on holiday (not me driving), but never seen one that says "Low gear". I didn't realise that was a real picture when you posted it.

I live in Cambridgeshire which is exceptionally flat and has no hills to speak of at all. Why would I have ever seen a sign like that?
    Originally posted by kmb500
    You do realise that there are pictures in the Highway Code? Remember the Highway Code?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    AdrianC
    if the handbrake is on, and the clutch is up, the car is stalled.
    Originally posted by bsod
    Which bit of "not in gear"...?
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    You do realise that there are pictures in the Highway Code? Remember the Highway Code?
    This is the Highway Code. That sign is not there.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57f76409ed915d06fd000027/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

regardless I dont see why it matters given that, as I said, I'm well aware of going in lower gears when going up a hill...
    • bsod
    • By bsod 18th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    Which bit of "not in gear"...?
    which bit of engine braking works if it isn't in gear?
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 18th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    Tried this on way home slowing down with accelerator first.

Then break with no clutch. The car felt like it was vibrating a little so then I put the clutch in. When the car starts to vibrate a bit is this when you know it is time to do clutch and break together? Going to go out later when it's quite to practice
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    DoaM
    This is the Highway Code. That sign is not there.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57f76409ed915d06fd000027/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

regardless I dont see why it matters given that, as I said, I'm well aware of going in lower gears when going up a hill...
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Is it ironic that you missed this also?

Note: Although The Highway Code shows many of the signs commonly in use, a comprehensive
    explanation of our signing system is given in the Department’s booklet Know Your Traffic Signs,
    which is on sale at booksellers. The booklet also illustrates and explains the vast majority of signs
    the road user is likely to encounter. The signs illustrated in The Highway Code are not all drawn to
    the same scale. In Wales, bilingual versions of some signs are used including Welsh and English
    versions of place names. Some older designs of signs may still be seen on the roads.
    many of is not all

The example sign shown earlier was in advance of going downhill.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    I dont see why it is such a big deal that I have never driven up a serious hill and never come across a sign that says Low Gear. I'm not blind, if I read it I would know what it meant.

Why are you all treating me LIke im stupid.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    DoaM
    Because you keep saying UP.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Because you keep saying UP.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    UP? What does that stand for?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter