Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out.. 18th Oct 16 at 11:54 AM
    I don't want to burn out my clutch and I am a little rusty on driving.

So at traffic lights when waiting can I leave it in first with clutch down with brake on or is that bad for clutch?

When breaking is putting the clutch all the way down and breaking at the same time bad? Should I break then put clutch in at last minute?

Also on hill starts does everyone roll a little bit backwards? I am putting handbrake on building up revs then relasing hand break..

Appreciate your help
Page 3
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 18th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 6,972 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    Biggles
    Hmm. I use the clutch all the time, when I accelerate I balance it out with the clutch, and when I brake I have the clutch fully down.
    Originally posted by kmb500
    The problem with slowing with the clutch down is that you are putting all the onus on the brake. Make the engine do the work.

Unless you are coming to a stop, the ideal should be to slow down by using the engine (ie gears/clutch) only. It's kinder to your car, will use less fuel and your tyres will last longer. I regard it as bad driving if, on a dual carriageway, a driver in front uses his brakes to slow, say, from 60mph to 50mph. It shows lack of observation and thinking ahead; those are two skills which could keep you out of multiple pile-ups one day.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Because you aren't braking properly! You're preventing engine braking which decreases stopping distance compared to coasting.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    What's engine braking?

go for a drive with your dad

the odds of having a poor instructor and a poor tester and a dad that doesn't ask wtf are you doing must be astronomical
    Originally posted by bsod
    I went out with both my mum and dad a good 50+ hours while learning.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    GwylimT
    What's engine braking?

How did you pass your theory test? Engine braking is fairly self explanatory, its where the engine slows the vehicle down in the proper and safe way that a vehicle should slow down.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 10,516 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What's engine braking?
    • bsod
    • By bsod 18th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    bsod
    Unless you are coming to a stop/crawl or going down a steep incline, you shouldn't have to touch the clutch or gears at all once you're in top gear.

There is no way you'd pass the emergency stop test if you'd plonked both feet to the floor instantaneously.
    Last edited by bsod; 18-10-2016 at 4:23 PM.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    How did you pass your theory test? Engine braking is fairly self explanatory, its where the engine slows the vehicle down in the proper and safe way that a vehicle should slow down.
    Surely the brakes are what slow the car down...
    • phoenix_w
    • By phoenix_w 18th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    phoenix_w
    this evidently not true given that I passed first time and not once did I do what you guys are telling me to.
    It may have been that your invigilator didn't notice you excessively coasting. There really isn't an excuse - it's dangerous for yourself and other road users.

Really, though, don't do it. Think about it logically - if you're coasting and something hits you from behind at high speed you'll bear the brunt of their kinetic energy and become a high speed projectile for someone else. If gears are engaged and someone hits you, the braking provided by the engine will slow you down more quickly than brakes alone and possibly save someone else's life.

You should only be depressing the clutch when changing gear or when slowing to a speed lower than being in first gear with your foot off the accelerator, and even then only for a fraction of a second when deploying your handbrake.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 10,516 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Unless you are coming to a stop or going down a steep incline, you shouldn't have to touch the clutch or gears at all once you're in top gear.
    Originally posted by bsod
    Perhaps on a very long motorway with little traffic, but apart from that...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 10,516 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They're one of the ways, yes, but they certainly shouldn't be the primary way.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    GwylimT
    So you're confirming you have never read the highway code and don't actually know what road signs mean. You're style of 'driving' is dangerous.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    So you're confirming you have never read the highway code and don't actually know what road signs mean. You're style of 'driving' is dangerous.
    Oh sorry, I hadn't noticed all those road signs that tell me what gear I should be in!

What on earth are you on about?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Oh sorry, I hadn't noticed all those road signs that tell me what gear I should be in!

What on earth are you on about?
    If you had read the highway code you would know the answer to all of the questions you have asked.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Seriously though what road signs are you referring to that I "don't know what they mean"?
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Never seen one of these signs before. But yes, I go in a lower gear up a hill... obviously.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Seriously though what road signs are you referring to that I "don't know what they mean"?
    You've just confirmed that you don't know what the sign above means by saying you go up hill in a low gear! Which again confirms you don't know you're highway code.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 10,516 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Never seen one of these signs before. But yes, I go in a lower gear up a hill... obviously.
    Sorry, but you now have to be trolling.
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 18th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Rubidium
    What's engine braking?

So they are bad drivers as well if they did not pick up on your appalling driving style!

You have been taught how to pass the driving test by a bad driving instructor but you have never learned how to drive correctly and still have so much to learn in order to be a safe driver and treat the vehicle with the respect that it deserves.

You should now do an advanced driving course.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 18th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    wongataa
    What up hill is that sign referring to? That sign does not mean up hill.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 18th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.

If slowing and not expecting to come to a dead stop, it was suggested to slow to the speed of the gear you expect to pull off in using the brakes. and jump from say 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd etc.

I don't recall climbing down the gears being a requirement in the driving theory (I could easily be proved wrong), which makes it a suggestion rather than a rule right? To be clear, I'm not suggesting you coast or ride the clutch by saying this, just slow using the brakes until the clutch needs to go down.

Not an expert, and I'm very open to being given evidence of being wrong.
    Started 07/15. Car finance reduced £9.4k to £0 , Mortgage: 52.5k - Savings: £0
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 18th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 12,718 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    arcon5
    It may have been that your invigilator didn't notice you excessively coasting. There really isn't an excuse - it's dangerous for yourself and other road users.

Really, though, don't do it. Think about it logically - if you're coasting and something hits you from behind at high speed you'll bear the brunt of their kinetic energy and become a high speed projectile for someone else. If gears are engaged and someone hits you, the braking provided by the engine will slow you down more quickly than brakes alone and possibly save someone else's life.

You should only be depressing the clutch when changing gear or when slowing to a speed lower than being in first gear with your foot off the accelerator, and even then only for a fraction of a second when deploying your handbrake.
    Originally posted by phoenix_w
    If somebody hits you at the force you suggest what do you think is gonna happen to your foot on the clutch... here's a hint... it's not gonna stay there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

835Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter