PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Nest Thermostat - Take with me when moving or sell it to the buyer?

Hi all. I purchased a Nest thermostat when I bought my house two years ago. I am now selling the house and wondering what I can do with the Nest. I know I can factory reset it for the new owner, but it cost me a few quid so wondered whether I could buy a cheap thermostat and take my Nest with me to the new house. Has anyone done this before? The other option I have is to leave it on the list of things the buyer needs to pay extra for (like people do with fancy ovens and fridges). But if they decline to buy it I'll either have to go with option 1 or leave it for them anyway. What do you think?

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Suppose you need to work how much it'll cost to leave a working alternative?
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How much did you pay for it? a couple of hundred quid..? And how much are you selling the house for? several hundred thousand pounds....?

Hardly a material amount is it? Or are you planning on taking the light bulbs with you when you go as well...?!?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,466
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is it mentioned on the property particulars/did you mention it on a viewing?

I would definitely leave it. Part of the house 'systems' now. Buy a new one for the next house if you want it again.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you really want to take it with you, I would remove it before anybody views the house, and make sure it's not mentioned in any property details.

I suspect that if you mention removing/selling the Nest thermostat, most buyers will think you're incredibly petty. It won't help relations with your buyer.

And If I were the buyer and you were taking the Nest, I think I would insist that the thermostat was replaced by a qualified heating engineer - rather than a potential DIY bodger.

(Perhaps you fitted the Nest in the first place, but it's best not to highlight that.)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A brand spankin' new Nest thermostat is under £190.
    A basic generic thermostat is £15.

So you're going to go to how much hassle for £165, less the cost of the labour to change it over if you can't DIY it? Do you have spare paint (or wallpaper) the same colour as the wall?

Or, to put it another way - if you were looking round a house, and saw a shiny Nest stat on the wall, would that be a plus point in your decision to buy that house rather than a different one?
  • We sold earlier this year and left the Nest thermostat in place. I don't think the buyer was that bothered about it but it was mentioned in the particulars and verbally as a selling point (it did really reduce our gas bill) so we thought it was only fair.

I looked into moving it and heating engineers wanted around £50 to remove it, and another £50 to install in the house we were moving to. As ours was a v2 unit (which just did heating not hot water as well) we left it and got a new v3 one (which does hot water) for the house we moved to.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    We've got separate room 'stats in several downstairs rooms controlling each room's underfloor heating - and solar HW. When Nest (or the like) can compare weather forecast information with controlling the boiler and the solar, THEN I'm interested... Until then, it'd be pointless in just one room, and ridiculously expensive bling for all three.
  • nimdy
    nimdy Posts: 70
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:10PM
    Thanks for your replies. My buyer is a BTL and hasn't mentioned seeing the Nest when we showed him round, but I agree, a £200 bit of kit is nothing compared to the £200k+ price of the house. I guess I'll get a newer generation one at my new house.

@ReadingTim - funny you should mention the lights. The info pack I was given says if removing light fixtures to replace them with a basic ceiling rose and flex. That seems to suggest people have removed their fittings leaving bare wire?! Would someone really do that?

@paul_1 - Thanks for the information. I must admit I hadn't yet looked into the cost of moving it from home to home. I also wasn't aware the new ones could do water now. I believe the new house is also a combi though, so buying a new or old one wouldn't make much of a difference.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    nimdy wrote: »
    That seems to suggest people have removed their fittings leaving bare wire?! Would someone really do that?
    There are sellers who would consider taking the wire...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure