Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smith_Square
    • By Smith_Square 18th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Smith_Square
    Completely new gas installation
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    Completely new gas installation 18th Oct 16 at 10:57 AM
    Hi there,

I am having gas connected to my property next month by Scottish Gas Network - I only have electric storage heaters at the moment. I now need to find a company to fit a gas meter and become my official supplier. My first thought was to go straight to my existing electricity supplier - GB Energy. They will charge me £150 (not sure if this is with VAT) to fit the meter and I can then choose my tariff with them.

It was only afterwards it crossed my mind to shop around for the meter installation. I just spoke to British Gas who said they will install a meter for free. I can then choose to go on their standard variable rate, which I think means I would be free to leave them pretty much straight away to go to a cheaper competitor - sounds too good to be true! Or I could choose a fixed rate with them.

So sounds like British Gas could be a better option although unlikely I would keep them as a supplier for very long. Does anybody have experience of getting connected to gas or any ideas as to what would be the most cost effective?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    Yep, your summary is correct. Get the meter fitted from company that provides them free.

Then do a comparison based on rough UK average figures. (9500kwh low users, 12500 normal, 16,000 high). Those figures are just guides however. It all depends on your property and living habits. But those figures are a good place to start if you have no past data.

Then switch!

Do not forget that we are coming into winter so you your DD and actual bills will be quite high initially (which could be a shock) as your immediate bills will be winter bills. That always seems to catch people out.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 18-10-2016 at 1:31 PM.
    • Smith_Square
    • By Smith_Square 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smith_Square
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    Thanks thats very helpful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter