Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ev8
    • By ev8 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 86Posts
    • 42Thanks
    ev8
    Old store card PPI, worth trying?
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    Old store card PPI, worth trying? 18th Oct 16 at 10:44 AM
    Hi there.

I know I was sold PPI on a store card, around 2004 I believe.

It was a Dorothy Perkins card, I still have it and the same account number etc.

I remember having it sold to me and a few years later I cancelled it as I wasn't using it (to reclaim for sale items for instance) and didn't see the point of it.

I think I was mis-sold as I do have a medical condition.

Is it worth trying to claim even now?

Thanks for any advice, this whole thing confuses me, so sorry if I ask something silly.
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    You can try, have to start with the shop then Santander and possibly Genworth (underwriters) - it is pre-regulation and they could time bar it due to the fact you cancelled but you never know until you try
    • ev8
    • By ev8 18th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    Thanks.

So start with the actual store?

I know it's now taken over by New Day, do I contact them or only Santander?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    Thanks.

So start with the actual store?

I know it's now taken over by New Day, do I contact them or only Santander?
    Originally posted by ev8
    The SALE is the issue, so you start with the store, they will reject it, then you try Santander
    • ev8
    • By ev8 18th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    The SALE is the issue, so you start with the store, they will reject it, then you try Santander
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Okay. Thanks.

I'm sorry if I seem dim, I have cognitive issues where things just don't stick in my head anymore (very frustrating for me as I was always completely the opposite!).

So contact the store (not the store card?).

If they are to reject it, why not start at Santander?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 18th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    Santander > FOS (Ombudsman) > Genworth (underwriter) is currently the successful route for those who had store cards from the then Arcadia Group of stores (DP, Debenhams, Burton, TopShop, etc)

The Santander PPI team are very helpful, so there should be no need to contact the rest.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • ev8
    • By ev8 18th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    Oh thanks Mersey, so I'll see about contacting them first of all, hopefully they are helpful.

Thanks so much.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 5,927 Posts
    • 14,868 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    For about 3 stamps, it's actually pretty straightforward & can be startlingly rewarding.
    Not always, but certainly worth the try.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    -taff
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    I remember having it sold to me and a few years later I cancelled it as I wasn't using it (to reclaim for sale items for instance) and didn't see the point of it..
    Originally posted by ev8

If you weren't using it, you weren't paying any PPI
    • AlisonJCS
    • By AlisonJCS 19th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AlisonJCS
    I have just had success with reclaimining my PPI. I contacted Santander via telephone. Try 0800 171 2171. They are very helpful on the helpdesk. They sent me a form which I completed and returned, and they took approx 12 weeks to investigate and offer me a settlement.
    Good luck
    • ev8
    • By ev8 26th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    If you weren't using it, you weren't paying any PPI
    Originally posted by -taff
    I was using the card, I didn't cancel that, it was the PPI I was paying I cancelled as I never used it for refunds on sale items etc.
    • ev8
    • By ev8 26th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    I have just had success with reclaimining my PPI. I contacted Santander via telephone. Try 0800 171 2171. They are very helpful on the helpdesk. They sent me a form which I completed and returned, and they took approx 12 weeks to investigate and offer me a settlement.
    Good luck
    Originally posted by AlisonJCS
    Thanks for this, this was the number I was planning on calling, so it's good to know you was successful.

I haven't done it yet as I haven't been well at all, so haven't been up to it, but I definitely will.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I was using the card, I didn't cancel that, it was the PPI I was paying I cancelled as I never used it for refunds on sale items etc.
    Originally posted by ev8
    PPI wasn't for refunds on sales items, it was a policy that paid your bill if you couldn't pay due to sickness or losing your job, make sure you were actually paying that, not something else.

If you cancelled it a while ago (more than 3 years ago) they can technically time bar it under the finance rules so be aware of that.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 26th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    -taff
    I'm not clear on what you mean by refunds and sales....

OK, let me explain and you can see what I mean hopefuly.

If you used your card to buy items and didn't pay them off in total at the next invoice, you would have been charged PPI.
    The PPI would have been itemised as some kind of insurance on top of your interest and capital payments on your statements.

Also, pre-2005 store cards were not regulated, so your complaint can be dismissed. Santander seem tohave been paying back store card PPI recently, also GE Money have refunded. They don't have to though.

Phone Santander, see what they say.
    • ev8
    • By ev8 26th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    I mean I used the card and paid for PPI on the bill.

It was sold to me as something I could use if I was ill, but also as something that meant if I bought an item for full price and it went on sale I could get the difference back. This is what I wasn't using, but I was paying for it, so I wrote to them to cancel the PPI, but not the card, I still ave the store card now.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 26th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    -taff
    Ahhh.....I understand now.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I mean I used the card and paid for PPI on the bill.

It was sold to me as something I could use if I was ill, but also as something that meant if I bought an item for full price and it went on sale I could get the difference back. This is what I wasn't using, but I was paying for it, so I wrote to them to cancel the PPI, but not the card, I still ave the store card now.
    Originally posted by ev8
    PPI does not cover getting a refund of the difference between full price and a sale item, it's Payment Protection Insurance i.e. insurance that protects your payments if you are unable to make them.

It's possible the card itself had as a bonus the full price/sales price thing.

Just complain and see what happens, worst case they time bar it under the 3 year rule given you cancelled it, costs you the price of a stamp
    • ev8
    • By ev8 26th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ev8
    PPI does not cover getting a refund of the difference between full price and a sale item, it's Payment Protection Insurance i.e. insurance that protects your payments if you are unable to make them.

It's possible the card itself had as a bonus the full price/sales price thing.

Just complain and see what happens, worst case they time bar it under the 3 year rule given you cancelled it, costs you the price of a stamp
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Yes, it was an added extra to it, something added on as part of the payment protection.

Yes I definitely will get around to it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

5,757Users online

Martin's Twitter