Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 20,827Posts
    • 9,868Thanks
    lisyloo
    Chirping smoke alarm from empty flat
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    Chirping smoke alarm from empty flat 18th Oct 16 at 10:42 AM
    Hello

I have a problem with a chirping noise every 40 seconds from the flat next door( I've stuck my ear in their letter box so I'm fairly sure about it).
    I strongly suspect this is a flat battery from a smoke alarm.
    I believe the flat to be empty.
    This has been going on for around a fortnight, every 40 seconds and it's 24/7. I suspect it can keep going for several more weeks.

I have been in contact with the estate management (city west homes) and also my agent is asking the landlord if he has neighbours contact details but nothing yet.

My question is are there any agencies that deal with empty homes? This is Pimlico/Westminster.
    or do I need to report it as a statutory nuisance to environmental health (it's not actually that loud in decibels just annoying when you become aware of it).

Any advice?
Page 2
    • pete-20-11
    • By pete-20-11 18th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    pete-20-11

Why do these things always start in the middle of the night.
    Originally posted by adonis
    Because it is colder at night.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 20,827 Posts
    • 9,868 Thanks
    lisyloo
    and there's a Tarquin Fortescue-Curlicue living a mile or five away, then you've got a good starting point, right?
    There's something like 10 million people living within greater London.
    Obviously a really unusual name would help, but I don't think it's that easy to track someone.

Unfortunately the tenant in this case isn't answering the phone or responding to notes through the door, so finding people doesn't always work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

611Posts Today

3,658Users online

Martin's Twitter