Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • startingout2016
    • By startingout2016 18th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 6Thanks
    startingout2016
    Location Location Location called me!
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    Location Location Location called me! 18th Oct 16 at 10:14 AM
    We have missed out on a few properties and been searing for what seems like forever. We have nothing to sell but are struggling to secure somewhere to buy.

Applied for Location Location Location a few months back and just had a call to say that they are coming to the area and want us to be on the show!

I dont know now whether to take them up on it.

Has anyone done this before?

Is it worth it?
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 18th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    If you applied then surely you want to be on the show !!!! , What's to lose as you may have the perfect property found for you and they may get it slightly cheaper to, Plus as an added bonus you get to be on TV, Not sure if it pays but I would presume so.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 30,248 Posts
    • 35,812 Thanks
    Browntoa
    its worth it if they find you a bargain , and they often get the nod from local agents about stuff that's about to be listed so you are ahead of the hoard

depends if you are prepared to go on TV
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 18th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 9,551 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    Don't assume that being on telly is really glamorous and exciting.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    They may want to ensure you have an AIP or finances in order to customise their viewings to you.

5 mins of fame

everyone else will know how much you can afford
    • Brightspark87
    • By Brightspark87 18th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    Brightspark87
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    They often make you look at houses you wouldn't normally go for too - worth a shot if you have been looking and haven't found the 'one' if you are prepared for all the hassle and possibility of the show being shown years after filming (caught the end of one from 20011 the other day!)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 373 - Target £300- Total £56.78
    married in 2014
    Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014

Debt Free July 2016
    • startingout2016
    • By startingout2016 18th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    startingout2016
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    That's what I am worried about. I work full time, so this could be a time consuming exercise.

We already had AIP and deposit in the bank as we have lost out on other properties after offer had been accepted previously.

Not too sure I want people seeing me on tv who hadn't seen me in years and them wondering what on earth happened to me!

I am now pregnant so might not be the most glamorous I may have once been! haha
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Oct 16, 10:41 AM
    • 20,783 Posts
    • 83,674 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:41 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:41 AM
    How good are you at acting really surprised ....for the 4th or 5th take?
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    That's what I am worried about. I work full time, so this could be a time consuming exercise.

We already had AIP and deposit in the bank as we have lost out on other properties after offer had been accepted previously.

Not too sure I want people seeing me on tv who hadn't seen me in years and them wondering what on earth happened to me!

Originally posted by startingout2016
    Then why did you apply?
    • startingout2016
    • By startingout2016 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    startingout2016
    I wasnt pregnant back then and wasnt planning on being pregnant!
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 18th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    ap1985
    That it really exciting! You won't have nothing to lose by going on the show.
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    davidmcn
    This sounds more like a Grand Designs scenario (they always seem to end up pregnant and living in a caravan in the middle of a building site in winter).
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 18th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 34,042 Posts
    • 142,282 Thanks
    silvercar

Could get a second programme when they revisit you to meet your baby and see how you are getting on.
    • The Earl of Streatham
    • By The Earl of Streatham 18th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    The Earl of Streatham
    When dealing with television people it is worth remembering that their job is making television programmes. In this case do not consider them to be the charity arm of the estate agency industry.

They will be happy to manufacture outcomes to look good on the programme, they’re working for their advertisers, not for you. On the day(s) be prepared to be disappointed that the schedule doesn't revolve around you.

That said it may turn out to be useful.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,478 Thanks
    fairy lights
    You might get so excited by the original features of an over budget house that you go in to early labour and have your baby delivered by Phil Spencer. That would be a ratings winner for sure.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 18th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    If you are selected are you sure you are happy with the programme being repeated for years and years?

Make sure you don't have any bad hair or clothes days, or you will cringe every time someone says ' Saw you on L L L the other day'
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 18th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 22,234 Posts
    • 63,071 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    But that's a lovely thing. And your baby will see that program in future years and be really impressed by their first TV appearance. You might even be living in the house you found!

All in all, it's not something that you get to do every day and for that reason I am sure it will be fun.

You applied for a reason. Think of all the things that could go right and be fun. Please don't let the annoying little voice in your head start coming up with ridiculous reasons not to. What other people think really doesn't matter, but if anyone I ever knew was on there, I'd just be rooting for them
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 18-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 18th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 6,014 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Been watching Location for years and I have yet to see them portraying a couple as a complete disaster (like those wonderful 'benefits' programmes). If a hair is out of place, I'm sure someone will tell you (and a quick look in a mirror helps). No one on this planet can dress more unflatteringly than Kirsty (much as I love her lol).

And you will learn a lot about what you really do want from House hunting.., maybe even find a house that perhaps you wouldn't have looked at. Phil and Kirsty do seem to be able to assess what a house is worth and bargaining a price down, help deal with difficulties when making an offer. This sort of help is very expensive if you are paying for it.

Basically I'd bite their arm off lol.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    Go for it!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 9,490 Posts
    • 21,093 Thanks
    suki1964
    Go for it

What have you got to lose? As long as you both are on the same page and are not the types to bicker and snipe, it should be fun
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter