Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wotnoshoeseh
    • By wotnoshoeseh 18th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 205Posts
    • 20Thanks
    wotnoshoeseh
    0 WOW
    Goldcar Rentals - Bergamo
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    0 WOW
    Goldcar Rentals - Bergamo 18th Oct 16 at 10:11 AM
    Hi all,

I wanted to provide a little feedback on my hire car from Goldcar Rentals. Firstly I hired through Expedia.

A couple of things to note....
    1. The Expedia price does not include extras.
    2. There is a surcharge for diesel cars - €2 per day.
    3. They only hold diesel cars at Bergamo.
    4. You will be charged additional monies as soon as you arrive. It's hidden in the T's & C's but it is there.
    5. They are the most aggressively selling people I have ever had the displeasure to encounter as they tried to sell me their excess damage costs.
    Anyway, I ultimately paid the excess for the diesel car - my fault for not reading the T's & C's. Just be aware of this if you are looking at the same company through a broker.
    Car was returned and checked over - no damage and full tank of diesel. I received a copy of the sign off and was told that the hold for the tank full of diesel would be returned that day; but that the excess €1400 would take a few days. I asked why the hold on the excess would take a few days and the guy said that was the way it was, and he did not know. Ultimately I have not been charged for any excesses so all is good with that.

Then 5 weeks after the Rental I got a note from Goldcar stating that the car had been given a ticket (no mention of parking or speeding or what it was for) and, as per their T's & C's they would be charging me €40. Administration fee for dealing with the authorities, and providing them with my details. The suspicious bit about this though, is that they were unable to provide me the details (see extract below)...

"On this occasion Goldcar has received the fine notification via Internet. Therefore, we are unable to send you a copy of the fine. The traffic authorities will send you the fine information and payment instructions by mail."

Giving them the benefit of the doubt I thought I'd wait to see if the fine ever came through from the Italian authorities - 5 weeks later, still nothing. It's making me very suspicious of the €40 charge - so much so, that I am thinking of contacting my CC company to have them dispute the charge unless they (Goldcar) can show me proof of the car being ticketed.

What do others think?
    Last edited by wotnoshoeseh; 18-10-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    richardw
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    They need your money because their hire prices are too cheap, so don't be surprised if they do anything to get it. AVOID.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • wotnoshoeseh
    • By wotnoshoeseh 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wotnoshoeseh
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    They need your money because their hire prices are too cheap, so don't be surprised if they do anything to get it. AVOID.
    Originally posted by richardw
    So are you suggesting that I dispute the CC charge of €40 for administration unless they can show me what they "administrated" for?
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    richardw
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    Everything needs a paper trail, if they don't have the clear back up, they are making it up.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,460Posts Today

7,421Users online

Martin's Twitter