Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tissot
    • By tissot 18th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 14Thanks
    tissot
    Routers: Sky Q Hub VS Sky Hub
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    Routers: Sky Q Hub VS Sky Hub 18th Oct 16 at 10:10 AM
    I have extended the Sky broadband and have received a new wireless router- Sky Q HUb. I am using the old Sky Hub model and am happy with it, though there is a very weak signal in one room, but i don't use internet there.

It is said that the Q hub has 1 GB transfer speed and has more channels but I wonder if the difference is really noticeable? I have 2 or 3 devices connected to internet and don't see any problems internet speed. So i wonder if it is better to use the new router or sell it on ebay (they are about £50 ).
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    Dont think you own the router until contract is ended .
    • tissot
    • By tissot 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    tissot
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    Dont think you own the router until contract is ended .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I know, but they do not request the routers after the end of the contract. I still can use the old one and sell the new one, but i wonder if the new one is that advanced that it is worse of keeping it.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    almillar
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    the Q hub has 1 GB transfer speed
    That'll be over the network cable, and whatever is at the other end will also need to be 'Gigabit'.
    and has more channels
    WiFi channels I assume - again, some of the kit you're trying to use may not be able to access the upper channels - I've had trouble with channels 13 and 14.

With that all said, I can't imagine even the Q hub is worth much, as they're all thrown at customers for 'free'. Certainly must be worth trying out for a week, just unplug one and plug the other in.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    They haven't wanted Sky boxes back before, unless someone left inside the minimum term, so they may possibly want the router back, like they want the Q box back.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 20th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 20th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    The routers have unique logins set by Sky - your old one may not work.

The new routers are dual band which should make a speed difference if you have compatible equipment and don't live in the sticks (interference from other routers closeby)
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 21st Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 21st Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 21st Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    How old is the original Sky router? The "average" router only lasts 2-3 years, so it might be sensible to keep the Q Hub as a spare if your current one is of that age or older.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 21st Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    almillar
    • 21st Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 21st Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    The "average" router only lasts 2-3 years
    How many routers have you worn out? Radios can burn out, power supplies can fail (not the router itself) and of course new WiFi standards come out, but I'd say routers last far longer than 2-3 years!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 21st Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 21st Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 21st Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    How many routers have you worn out? Radios can burn out, power supplies can fail (not the router itself) and of course new WiFi standards come out, but I'd say routers last far longer than 2-3 years!
    Originally posted by almillar
    On my 6th router in ~ 13 years - various fails - a couple still worked as ethernet routers but the wireless bits had packed up/gone eccentric (Corega/Buffalo??) and one (DLink) just refused to do anything at all when powered up. A Netgear worked - but wouldn't retain any info.on power down.It reset itself every time!
    The HORRANGE Livebox was just useless
    Now using TP-Link -cheap but still going after 25 months
    • spud17
    • By spud17 21st Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    spud17
    Couldn't resist, , ancient Netgear DG834GT, still going, though one ethernet port recently stopped working.
    IMO still the most easily configured router out there.
    Anyone else noticed how many threads now start with 'So', 'Okay' or 'Basically'?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 25th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    As with everything, it depends on the equipment - most routers will be discarded, more than needed, as almost all providers now suggest/insist on their own 'free' routers.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 25th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 15,471 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    We have just had Sky Q fitted they removed the old router and Sky box apparently i will get £10 credit.
    The Q router is much quicker than the old one.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    We have just had Sky Q fitted they removed the old router and Sky box apparently i will get £10 credit.
    The Q router is much quicker than the old one.
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    ..the Sky box was yours to keep ! So now,if you decide that Sky Q is too expensive, you won't have a satellite box to fall back on. Did you ask for a hybrid LNB to be fitted ??
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 27th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 15,471 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    ..the Sky box was yours to keep ! So now,if you decide that Sky Q is too expensive, you won't have a satellite box to fall back on. Did you ask for a hybrid LNB to be fitted ??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    There's no issue with being able to afford Sky Q , I'm not the type to keep things "just in case" i have no hoarding tendancies at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter