Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lostinfrance72
    • By lostinfrance72 18th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    lostinfrance72
    Confused by Prolific Academic
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    Confused by Prolific Academic 18th Oct 16 at 10:08 AM
    Hi all

I've been registered with Prolific Academic for a couple of weeks, and I'm just not getting how it works. I haven't been eligible for any studies so far, and I never receive any communications from the site telling me that there are new surveys available etc. Have I done something wrong in the process of registering? I tend to check a few times through the day, but nowt, nada, zilch, rien, not even a hint of being offered a survey. I've been lurking on the 'new survey alerts' thread, but I never even see any of the surveys that people mention when I log on the PA site.

The site has a whole lot of additional personal questions to answer, which are optional. Does completing these questions make it more or less likely that one will be selected for a survey?

Thanks for any help about where I am going wrong: this seems like a popular and interesting way to earn a few ££.
Page 1
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 18th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    I completed all the questions and get surveys pretty regularly. It is much quieter on there than earlier in the year but I expect that will change soon.

I check throughout the day but it is mainly pot luck as to whether there is a survey at the time you check as they fill up very fast.

It's worth sticking at it though, I’ve made £222 since I joined in January and I’m sure I could have made more if I had checked more often. Certainly up in my top three for survey sites.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    The survey places get filled very quickly, so you need to check regularly. Prolific say that a random subset of eligible participants get emailed about a study, so for most studies you won't get an email invite.

Yes, if you complete the questions, you are more likely to be eligible for further studies because Prolific only invites you for studies that you are eligible for, unlike other survey sites that often screen out people when they are part way through the survey.
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 18th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    I haven't had an email notification for anything at all in quite a while (survey invites, approvals, payouts etc) so I wouldn't be relying on them at all.
    • lostinfrance72
    • By lostinfrance72 18th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lostinfrance72
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    Cheers chaps.

So how regular is regular? Every hour? Or what? And do I just stay logged into the site, and the refresh the page? I've been doing that most days, but it just comes up the same message 'Currently, there aren't any studies...' etc.

Ok, I'll try answering some of the questions and see if that helps ;-) thanks for the advice
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 18th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    Heh ... I refresh once every couple of minutes if I'm not terribly busy at work...
    • libra10
    • By libra10 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 129,966 Thanks
    libra10
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    There often seem to be more surveys either late in the evenings or early mornings. Also depends on demographics for each particular survey.

I've had several £20 payouts this year, definitely worth persevering.

Good luck
    • Haljordan2814
    • By Haljordan2814 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Haljordan2814
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    I've earned close to £100 this year already. Definitely keep trying, make sure to fill out all the questions at the bottom of the dashboard page to become eligible for further studies.
    Debt Free wannabe: CC1 £245 ~ CC2 £1377.51 ~ CC3 £1611.49 ~ CC4 £682.40 ~ CC5 £3722.00 ~ House Deposit Loan £10,180 ~ Family loan £4797 ~ Car loan from brother £1200 ~ Bed 192.76 = TOTAL £24,008.16
    • aife
    • By aife 19th Oct 16, 4:25 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    aife
    • 19th Oct 16, 4:25 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 4:25 AM
    I've been with them two months and i'm on £22
    I've only had a couple of email invitations , usually if I'm at home I just check the site a few times.
    I've been 'ineligble' for a few ,I think the fact that I don't have a degree might have ruled me out
    You won't get rich from this stuff but I think they do pay better than some of the other sites, and the surveys aren't as tedious
    • MLE007
    • By MLE007 19th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    MLE007
    I have only been with them since mid August and have already earned almost £60. I have got most of my surveys from logging on early in the morning. The studies fill up very quickly so I think luck plays a part if you log on at just the right time.
    • katykicker
    • By katykicker 20th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 11,672 Thanks
    katykicker
    Don't bother refreshing the site frequently... Instead you want to use a browser add on. For Google Chrome you can get 'VisualPing (previously Page Monitor)' which will check the page for you and then alert you when there is a change. If you set it to monitor the surveys page it'll give you a notification when there is a change, for example a survey being visible.

I have picked up more than £500 of surveys that way.
    Making £3.5k a month+ now all from home £15k earned in 2014, £28k in 2015. I'm a blogger and also I work from home. I've been featured in The Guardian and Moneywise magazine

Happy to help anyone who wants advice via PM or on the 'Boost Your Income' forum when I'm online.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you all, really, I feel so much better now. I honestly felt none of these researchers cared what older people think, but maybe I'm not doing quite so badly as I thought. This is most encouraging.

OP, I have found you can find and miss a survey in the space of seconds: Yesterday, there was one (for £5?) with only 4 places which would not work with Chrome. I had not time even to wonder how to change browser before all the spaces were filled.

On the plus side, for only the second time, I managed to get the last place on a study last night, about 10pm... of course, that one was only 50p. I do seem to get the piddling small change ones.

The only time I have received an email notification was 4.05am... not a lot of use, really, is it?
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 20th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    Don't bother refreshing the site frequently... Instead you want to use a browser add on. For Google Chrome you can get 'VisualPing (previously Page Monitor)' which will check the page for you and then alert you when there is a change.
    Originally posted by katykicker
    Yep, I sometimes use Check4Change for Firefox.
    (Not when I'm screensharing though as that could prompt awkward questions....)
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I have now tried VisualPing and, just for a change, must have done something wrong as it tells me I am already out of free notifications... oh well, back to the old-fashioned way of doing it myself.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 20th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 10,740 Thanks
    paddyrg
    I have now tried VisualPing and, just for a change, must have done something wrong as it tells me I am already out of free notifications... oh well, back to the old-fashioned way of doing it myself.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    You get 2 free server-side, unlimited free browser-side.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 20th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 10,740 Thanks
    paddyrg
    Thank you all, really, I feel so much better now. I honestly felt none of these researchers cared what older people think, but maybe I'm not doing quite so badly as I thought. This is most encouraging.

OP, I have found you can find and miss a survey in the space of seconds: Yesterday, there was one (for £5?) with only 4 places which would not work with Chrome. I had not time even to wonder how to change browser before all the spaces were filled.

On the plus side, for only the second time, I managed to get the last place on a study last night, about 10pm... of course, that one was only 50p. I do seem to get the piddling small change ones.

The only time I have received an email notification was 4.05am... not a lot of use, really, is it?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Obviously most aren't £5, but lots of little ones add up. And 4.05 am was probably a from a non-UK market!

But don't fear, if you're seeing occasional ones, you see what we all do. Emails are very infrequent
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    Smodlet
    You get 2 free server-side, unlimited free browser-side.
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    Yes, thank you, paddyrg... I still have no idea what that means... Smodlet and technology? Unmixy things. I think you are saying I have done it wrong... no surprise there, then.

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 22nd Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I think I've fixed it. One shall see. Thank you all so much, again.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,671Posts Today

5,760Users online

Martin's Twitter