Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murlton
    • By Murlton 18th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Murlton
    CPM Parking Charge for Unauthorised Parking
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    CPM Parking Charge for Unauthorised Parking 18th Oct 16 at 8:47 AM
    Hi guys,

First of all I'd just like to apologise for making yet another thread about probably a very similar situation to someone previously 'charged' by UK CPM. However, after reading many different posts and the NEWBIE thread I'm still unsure how exactly I should move forward with this.

I've come to understand it's no longer a good idea to just out right ignore the 'invoice' as soon as you get it, this was always how I thought this should be handled. When did this change?

So, the story.. I was looking for parking at my local Tesco Metro (located on a small piece of land that shares with two other stores, a loan shop and a restaurant) and the car park was full, so I parked outside the front of the restaurant (this is still on the car park, just not within a bay). This is a routine thing that happens, you'd be hard pressed to find a time or day when someone isn't parked there as there are often 2-3 cars parked in that area outside of a bay. Looking at the photo of my car it appears one of my wheels may have JUST been in a yellow hatched box, however I'm not sure if that's the problem or if it's just being out of a bay. Having received this letter I didn't think there were any signs showing the restrictions but it appears they do exist quite high up. Everyone I've spoken to about this has been surprised there were signs as each thought they didn't exist. Having looked on google maps, the signs were not present as of June 2016 so this must be a rather new thing they've put in place.

Anyway, yes I was parked outside of a bay and yes I may have been slightly within a yellow hatched box, but I was not blocking any entrances and it was for a maximum or five minutes. The reason I've commented is because I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on with this?

Looking through the forums it seems the course of action required is to appeal using the generic IPC letter with the 8 points. This appeal will they most definitely be rejected, and then I should do what? Is that the point I begin ignoring them or should I appeal to the IAS first? Is there any point I should contact the restaurant I was parked outside of and see if they will cancel it?

Many thanks guys and girls, sorry again if you've heard all this before. I just need a push in the right direction is all!

Thanks
    Last edited by Murlton; 18-10-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Who does it ask you to make payment to and does the ref start with a 1 or does it start with a 3?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Murlton
    • By Murlton 3rd Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    Hi Coupon-mad,

The ref starts with a 3, may I ask why you want to know?

The payment is for DRP, not them.

Does everyone receive a LBCCC? Or is it possible that some people never get to that stage?

Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Because Gan on pepipoo has pointed out before that a ref starting with a 3 is in fact a debt collector using Gladstones notepaper (with their agreement) and not a letter from any solicitor's desk.

This is proven by you confirming that this letter asks for payment to...the debt collector who sent it! Ignore.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Murlton
    • By Murlton 3rd Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    Seriously? So at this point is there any actual link with Gladstones? Like if I rang them and stated the ref number, would they acknowledge it exists?

If this was a real LBCCC letter, would it be asking me to pay the solicitors?

Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    So at this point is there any actual link with Gladstones? Like if I rang them and stated the ref number, would they acknowledge it exists?
    They'd put you through to the debt firm...

If this was a real LBCCC letter, would it be asking me to pay the solicitors?
    Yes.

• Demi17
    • By Demi17 3rd Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Demi17
    Hi sorry to jump on this thread. I have also recieved the same letter with reference number 3 asking me to pay DRP. Am I right to ignore this. I have not responded at all to any of the letters (I believe this is actually the wrong thing to do?!) I was told to ignore them totally and believe this was now the wrong thing to do.

My question is do I continue to ignore unless I get a letter from the court? If I do get a letter from the court am I able to pay the fine there and then without going to court or would it then be too late? I don't want to go to court so wondering what the best action is to take? Thanks!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 17, 8:55 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why would we advise any differently to you? Obviously ignore debt collector letters, since you started by ignoring the PCN this is not the time to engage.

• Murlton
    • By Murlton 4th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    Can't help but feel that a CCJ is just round the corner. At the time of the parking charge there were 100s of others also receiving them as it was a change in the parking scheme that caught everyone off guard. So lets say 500 people got this 'parking charge' and all of them took the advice you guys gave to get them to this point.. would all 500 of them have got this fake Gladstones letter? What kind of percentage do we expect will then receive a CCJ? Feels like its the inevitable ending to all of this ha!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Apr 17, 12:46 AM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You are worrying about a tiny percentage chance, look:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/UK_Car_Park_Management.html

and I don't recall that we've ever seen a Gladstones one lost where this forum's style defence was used, followed by a witness statement/evidence with our input. All won or discontinued, for a year.

And there will be no 'CCJ' even if you lost at a hearing because you would then pay (about £175 typically, as seen on other forums or reports where people have lost) within 30 days and nothing remains on the register at all; not even a satisfied judgment (it isn't one of those). Your credit score is unaffected.

• chloelouise97
    • By chloelouise97 6th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chloelouise97
    Sorry to jump on here! What if ref starts with a 2?
    • completelyfubar
    • By completelyfubar 24th Aug 17, 8:01 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    completelyfubar
    Me too
    I have also been snapped by the same cafe owner last October in the very same position, same car park.
    I am wondering were you are with it... I have received my court claim and composing my defence at the moment.
    I have another thread 'Claim Defence' that Coupon-mad has already replied to.

I'm also wondering if there any more people on here snapped on the same car park that may be at 'court claim'
    Last edited by completelyfubar; 24-08-2017 at 8:36 AM. Reason: typo
    • Murlton
    • By Murlton 16th Sep 17, 3:51 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    Hi guys, I'm back!

So, I now appear to have received a legitimate Gladstones LBC. I have read through the newbie thread for answers on my next move but it's easy to get lost!

Do I create my defence now? If so, who do I send it to? What it tells me is..

"We now require you to pay the full amount within 14 days. Alternatively, you should provide an acknowledgement of receipt of this letter and a full written response within 14 days."

This response it talks about.. is this where I provide my main defence?

Thanks guys
    • completelyfubar
    • By completelyfubar 16th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    completelyfubar
    Just a letter
    You just need to respond with a letter as per the stickie thread. It needs to be a response as keeper of the vehicle, do not admit to being the driver.
    There are templates for this one asking for the contract. Landowner details etc... They will just ignore this of course.
    They will then decide whether to pay the court fee and take it to claim.
    Your defence comes when/if they do this.
    • Murlton
    • By Murlton 16th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    I appealed with the default template that is in the sticky thread about 6 months. This was rejected immediately.

Is it going to be the same letter I sent previously?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Alternatively, you should provide an acknowledgement of receipt of this letter and a full written response within 14 days."
    Do that then, to stop them issuing a claim before the rules change about small claim procedures, on 1st October.

What letter did you send previously? Just be robust and ask them for photos and evidence.

• Murlton
    • By Murlton 16th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Murlton
    Rule changes? Whats changing that could affect this?

The letter I sent previously was the generic IPC letter in the sticky thread. I think this was after the first letter.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,345 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Google is your friend. The keywords:

small claims pre-action rules 1st october
    finds a result in 0.0001 seconds, with more detail than I have time to type.

DO NOT tip off the other side about what they should do, or what a LBC should say. For obvious reasons!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

626Posts Today

5,929Users online

Martin's Twitter