Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 11Thanks
    kmb500
    Removing black box? (Admiral)
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    Removing black box? (Admiral) 18th Oct 16 at 8:41 AM
    I currently have a black box policy with Admiral, my insurance is up for renewal soon and I am most likely going to switch insurers. Does anyone know if the insurance company will remove the black box? I can't find this anywhere on their website.
Page 1
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 18th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    I currently have a black box policy with Admiral, my insurance is up for renewal soon and I am most likely going to switch insurers. Does anyone know if the insurance company will remove the black box? I can't find this anywhere on their website.
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Why not phone admiral they are in a better position to know that a forum unrelated to the company.
    Personally I will just whip the wire cutters out the day after my insurance lapses.
    Not that I would ever actually let anyone fit a black box in the first place.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 9,770 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    If you change cars whilst insured with Admiral, they don't remove the black box from your old vehicle. All they do is to disable it remotely and leave it there.
    Unless you know exactly how it is connected up, leaving it in place and getting Admiral to disable it is probably the safest option.
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 18th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    I would ring them up, but if you have found cheaper car insurance have the details ready as they may lower your insurance. If they don't then just tell them to send your NCD to the new insurer.
    Last edited by peter12345678910; 18-10-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    If you change cars whilst insured with Admiral, they don't remove the black box from your old vehicle. All they do is to disable it remotely and leave it there.
    Unless you know exactly how it is connected up, leaving it in place and getting Admiral to disable it is probably the safest option.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Yeah, the usual procedure is just for them to disable it I think. I will call them when I'm home from work.

I don't want to leave it there disabled, it looks ugly and I want it gone! I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 18th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    Yeah, the usual procedure is just for them to disable it I think. I will call them when I'm home from work.

I don't want to leave it there disabled, it looks ugly and I want it gone! I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material.
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Glued to where? Normally a black box is screwed to a frame and secured further with cable ties and is out of sight behind a panel.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 18th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    What's Admiral's thinking behind this one then? That some other poor sucker might insure the vehicle with them and if they are forced down the black box route - hey presto! It's already there. Job done! Or am I being too cynical?
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 18th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    What's Admiral's thinking behind this one then? That some other poor sucker might insure the vehicle with them and if they are forced down the black box route - hey presto! It's already there. Job done! Or am I being too cynical?
    Originally posted by GingerBob

Think it is more to do with the cost of paying an automotive electrician to remove the box

The thing I found strange was with the box we had fitted, on changing insurers, they wanted to fit a new box. Surely, they could swap access to the original box amongst themselves
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    Think it is more to do with the cost of paying an automotive electrician to remove the box

The thing I found strange was with the box we had fitted, on changing insurers, they wanted to fit a new box. Surely, they could swap access to the original box amongst themselves
    Originally posted by jimmy cricket
    It's not the box that is the issue, it's the SIM that's in it. The SIM is 'killed' remotely so that your location data cannot be transmitted to the insurer if you are no longer insured with them. Without an active SIM, the box is useless.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 18th Oct 16, 9:31 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Yes, you're being too cynical. The DPA prevents that from happening.
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 18th Oct 16, 9:31 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    It's not the box that is the issue, it's the SIM that's in it. The SIM is 'killed' remotely so that your location data cannot be transmitted to the insurer if you are no longer insured with them. Without an active SIM, the box is useless.
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    Ah, makes sense I suppose, though why the details f the sim can't be passed amongst insurance companies
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 18th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Ah, makes sense I suppose, though why the details f the sim can't be passed amongst insurance companies
    Originally posted by jimmy cricket
    As soon as your policy expires, the insurer has no right to continue to track you so the company that provided the tech will kill the SIM over the airwaves so that no DPA breach occurs. Once a SIM is killed there is no resurrecting it
    • Gordon861
    • By Gordon861 20th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Gordon861
    It must be connected to the battery somehow, take out the fuse. Otherwise it must have an earth lead, disconnect that instead.

I doubt very much that it is anything more advanced than that, although it might just be plugged straight into the OBDP (looks like an old SCART plug) under the bonnet, so just unplug it.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 20th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    It must be connected to the battery somehow, take out the fuse. Otherwise it must have an earth lead, disconnect that instead.

I doubt very much that it is anything more advanced than that, although it might just be plugged straight into the OBDP (looks like an old SCART plug) under the bonnet, so just unplug it.
    Originally posted by Gordon861
    Power wise, that's correct - but there are very few vehicles where the OBD socket is under the bonnet. Only examples I can think of are now twenty year old Nissan Almeras like my wife had about 13 years ago, and BMWs with the big round diagnostic socket which isnt the same as an OBD socket anyway. There may be others, but the vast majority of cars I've come across, they're inside the cabin.

However, it is certainly feasible the black box could be plugged into an OBD socket, but it wouldn't be that useful for anything other than getting speed of the vehicle from the VSS, everything else would be dealt with via accelerometers and GPS receiver in the box itself.
    Last edited by BeenThroughItAll; 20-10-2016 at 5:33 PM.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 20th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Based on this from the op - "I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material" - I doubt it's plugged into the OBD port...
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 21st Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    wongataa
    There may be others, but the vast majority of cars I've come across, they're inside the cabin.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    That is because it is mandatory for the ODB socket to be within reach of the driver and has been for some time.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 21st Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    That is because it is mandatory for the ODB socket to be within reach of the driver and has been for some time.
    Originally posted by wongataa

Well, yes, I know - but the poster I was quoting clearly didn't.

I could have said 'all recent vehicles will be inside the cabin', but I didn't because the OP hasn't told us what they're driving, so I wouldn't have wanted to be categorical in my statement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter