Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• wweessttoo
    • By wweessttoo 18th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Shares On Redundancy
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    Shares On Redundancy 18th Oct 16 at 1:11 AM

Upon redundancy and subsequent retirement my father was offered a cash or shares option and he opted for the share option. I believe during his employment with the same company he also received shares through a share incentive plan. Because he was made redundant he didn't have to pay tax and NI on either the shares he received during his employment or the shares given as part of the redundancy package. The shares are held through TD investing (the platform his employer chose to use), now I read that if the shares remain in a share incentive plan there is no capital gains tax to pay. Does this also apply to shares that were awarded to him as part of a redundancy package and is he required to pay CGT on selling these?

Thanks for your help
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

2,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• The MSE weekly email: Energy hike warning, No7 trick, £400 marriage bonus, £3 photo mug, railcard 15%off, 3.1% loan

• Follow Martin