Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KandyC
    • By KandyC 17th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KandyC
    Help! Need advice on housing benefit
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    Help! Need advice on housing benefit 17th Oct 16 at 11:58 PM
    Hi Folks,

I am on Housing Benefit due to being disabled serve medical condition. Before purchasing a house i was working full time this was in the 1990 and then after a couple of years down the line i got diagnosed with a medical condition which stopped me to work and pay of the house's mortgage payments ( applied for housing income and was granted it). Up until now 2016, i have remortgaged the house on my daughter name as well as mine so that she can have a deposit for her own house. The money came through and it was allocated to both of our accounts. The council are asking what happen to the current mortgage and why do you have excess amount of capital. My question is will they stop my housing benefit because the remortgage was based on her income not mine. Can some one give me some advice please
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    I assume you mean you receive SMI - help with mortgage interest...this is calculated on the original mortgage and will not be increased to account for the new borrowing.
    Your property is now jointly owned so you should advise them of this. In addition you may be seen to have given away capital and treated as if you still have the money.
    If your daughter is planning on buying a house herself she will now need to ensure that her salary can support both mortgages and will need to pay the additional stamp duty as she will be owning a second property
    • KandyC
    • By KandyC 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KandyC
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    Thanks for your response,

I forgot to mention that the original mortgage is paid off by remortgaging with a different lender and two names are added to the house which includes my self and daughter. Will the council help me pay half of the interest that was paid off?
    Last edited by KandyC; 18-10-2016 at 7:55 PM.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 18th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    tboo
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    Hi Folks,

I am on Housing Benefit due to being disabled serve medical condition. Before purchasing a house i was working full time this was in the 1990 and then after a couple of years down the line i got diagnosed with a medical condition which stopped me to work and pay of the house's mortgage payments ( applied for housing income and was granted it). Up until now 2016, i have remortgaged the house on my daughter name as well as mine so that she can have a deposit for her own house. The money came through and it was allocated to both of our accounts. The council are asking what happen to the current mortgage and why do you have excess amount of capital. My question is will they stop my housing benefit because the remortgage was based on her income not mine. Can some one give me some advice please
    Originally posted by KandyC

You can't claim Housing Benefit if you are joint owner of the property as HB is for rents only

As to the joint ownership - on the council tax side does your daughter live with you?
    If she does then the council will have to make her jointly liable for the council tax bill

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter