Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zoot Zoot
    • By Zoot Zoot 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zoot Zoot
    Question about APR% (the other 49%) and Loan reasons
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    Question about APR% (the other 49%) and Loan reasons 17th Oct 16 at 11:13 PM
    Hi there,

I'm a bit of a loan newbie and was wondering if anyone could help with the following queries:

Does the reason for your loan (ie. home improvements, vehicle purchase) have an effect on whether you will be accepted and your APR %? I'm looking to get a £9k loan for cosmetic surgery & tattoo removal, and I've noticed that there is rarely a 'medical' option. Does this increase my chances of being rejected?

And as for representative APR, I understand that 51% will get the rate quoted and the other 49% will get another rate. Do you know if there is a limit to the other percentage? (ie. I can't imagine someone getting accepted for a loan with 100% APR. Is there generally a percentage point they don't cross?)

Thanks for the help!

Zoot
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 5,057 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    Loan purpose is part of the credit scoring process so does impact acceptance and APR. What you don't know is how an individual lender will score different loan purposes.

There is no specific cap on the rate you are offered if you don't get the headline rate.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:30 PM

Do you know if there is a limit to the other percentage? (ie. I can't imagine someone getting accepted for a loan with 100% APR. Is there generally a percentage point they don't cross?)

Zoot
    Originally posted by Zoot Zoot
    I have had leaflets through the door offering loans at 400%+

Unlikely from a bank offering low rates though, but the low end that offer loans to people that cannot get one elsewhere.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 18th Oct 16, 5:52 AM
    • 13,859 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:52 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:52 AM
    ..... Do you know if there is a limit to the other percentage? (ie. I can't imagine someone getting accepted for a loan with 100% APR. Is there generally a percentage point they don't cross?) ...
    Originally posted by Zoot Zoot
    Not really.

Quick Quid representative APR is 1294%.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 18th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 8,846 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    Every lender has their own way of scoring you (which they don't publicise) so what might make you a greater risk to one lender might not be so much of an issue for another lender. Likewise the maximum APR a high street lender (I'm ignoring the pay day lenders and door step lenders) would consider offering before just flat out rejecting you will vary from lender to lender. I think I read on HSBC's website that the maximum APR they would offer a successful applicant was something like 21.9%.

I'm just guessing here but I think high street lenders would offer the other 49% rates up to 30% APR. I think if you were deemed riskier than that they would just reject your application.

If it's tattoo removal and cosmetic surgery you want to use the money for then some companies who offer those services also offer finance. Sometimes that finance is at 0% so that might be worth investigating.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 17,513 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    A question to be asked is the money you would use to repay the loan what have you done with it ? Is it saved up ?
    Je Suis Charlie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter