Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QueenMarsh
    • By QueenMarsh 17th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    QueenMarsh
    Converting an electric garage door to manual
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    Converting an electric garage door to manual 17th Oct 16 at 10:48 PM
    Hi

Can anyone offer advice on converting an electric garage door to manual? The door is about 10 years old and we've found over the last 6 months the mechanism is failing. They don't make any parts to fix the current motor and It's now at the point where it takes 2 of us to open it. There's nothing wrong with the door itself and I'm reluctant to pay £600 plus for a similar door so was hoping I could just change the frame.

There's quite a bit online about converting from manual to electric but nothing the other way.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Queenie
Page 1
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 18th Oct 16, 12:52 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:52 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:52 AM
    What about replacing the motor?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    We don't know what type of doors you have. I have electrically motorised up and over sectional doors and, if there is a failure of power, there is a grab handle which, if grabbed, disconnects the door mechanism from the motor drive and allows a manual lift and close. It is not easy and is not designed as a permanent solution but it does work.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    If you are talking about an electric roller shutter then manually winding it takes forever, I have a wind override on mine and due to the gearing ratio id imagine it would be a solid 5 minutes of winding to raise it all the way up.

It always raises alarm bells when people talk about being able to get an electric garage door for £600-700, it usually come from a website which seems to have a considerable number of names but always the same content. Do a bit of research on these companies and you'll see why they are to be avoided.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 18th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    Got my electric, insulated, garage door for £500 delivered.

It was a miss-measure and a little on the small size (2130 x 2090) so was sat around gathering dust. It was perfect for me as I only wanted it for my bikes and I can still get my car in there if I go on holiday (it's a tight squeeze though!).

It was relatively easy to fit and I am confident I could easily replace the motor in future should I need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter