Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingman
    • By savingman 17th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    savingman
    seller messing around
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    seller messing around 17th Oct 16 at 10:34 PM
    Hello again,
    Finally we are coming close to exchange the contract.
    When we put an offer, I asked agent specifically if seller is in any chain? He said no they are happy to move to rented accommodation / family members if needed.
    Now seller took months to give all the document. I believe this was delaying tactics to find thieir next home. seller or their solicitor took weeks to acknowledge let alone answer any question.
    Now they have their next place sorted , they are putting pressure on us to exchange the contract now so they book removals and then complete the contract.

I told my solicitor that I want keys within 24 hours of exchanging the contract and want to see the property before exchanging the contract as I heard horrible stories where seller leaves the house in mess or not leaving in clean state. If they are buying new house their focus will be on their new house and the one they are selling.

Usually I am not a difficult person but they have taken me for a ride so far. everything that was told or agreed at the time of offer is turning out to be opposite.

Just wondering what are your views?

S
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 12,020 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    You are having a laugh.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 17th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    Annoying that they told you they were chain free and then weren't. However how are they messing you around now? Why aren't you ready to exchange if they were the ones delaying? Taking weeks for enquiries to go back and forth isn't unusual.

You don't get the keys until completion so why are you demanding them 24 hours after exchange? Fine go and view the property before exchange as that's sensible but if they aren't refusing then what's the problem?
    Last edited by Kynthia; 18-10-2016 at 7:45 AM.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 17th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    Do yourself a favour and assume that you're going to need to do a deep clean as soon as you move in.

Because I'm telling you now, you have unrealistic expectations.
    • savingman
    • By savingman 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    savingman
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    Yes I know that I will get the keys once the contract is complete and thats why I want to exchange and complete on same day. I don't want to wait for week(s).
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 17th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    Avoid that if you possibly can, and if you must, don't do it on a Friday.

Some conveyancers charge extra for same day completion.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 22,224 Posts
    • 63,059 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    If you aren't usually unreasonable then don't be now.

I've never seem a situation where imposing demands for the sake of it has worked better than being co-operative.

They are nowhere near the first or the last to have suggested renting, but the cold, harsh reality of moving twice is a cold, harsh reality! Whatever you perceive of their behaviour does not demand that you behave in a similar manner.

You're never going to control the condition a vendor leaves a house in. I wouldn't bother trying. You're more likely to get a clean house if you're nice though!
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 17-10-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,920 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    Exchanging and Completing same day is VERY stressful, and very unpredictable. No one knows if it will hapen, or be delayed, or cancelled, until midday on the day itself.

and then they all have to suddenly move!

No one can book removals or book a day off work etc as it is so uncertain.

Completing on a Friday is also stressful as so many people do it. Solicitors ae working flat-out, removal companies are all booked up, and if there's a delay, it cannot be sorted out the next day - you have to wait till Monday.

An inspection just before Exchange is sensible. Insist on it.

Get some quotes in advance, and as soon as you Exchange, book a cleaner for the day following Completion .

Are you good at DIY? If not, locate a local handyman so you can get little things fixed/painted as soon as you move in. Remember to have a new lock ready, and fix it asap.

There WILL be holes in the walls where their pictures were; and faded paintwork; there WILL be marks on the carpets where the furniture was; the kitchen WILL be filthy where they took out the washing machine (watch out for the missing plumbing under the sink!); the floors WILL need cleaning, and (I don't know why) there WILL be a strange smell........

Buying/selling property ALWAYS

* takes longer than you expect
    * takes longer than you want
    * causes stress and aggravation

The best lesson you can learn is patience.
    Last edited by G_M; 18-10-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 10,858 Posts
    • 30,576 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    Annoying that thry told you tgey were child free and then weren't. However how are tgry messing you around now? Why aren't you ready to exchange if they were the ones delaying? Taking weeks for enquiries to go back and forth isn't unusual.

You don't get the keys until completion so why are you demanding them 24 hours after exchange? Fine go and view the property before exchange as that's sensible but if they aren't refusing then what's the problem?
    Originally posted by Kynthia
    They said they were "chain free". Didnt see any mention of child free

I can sympathise with OP and I would be inclined to start "firing broadsides" because of having been told a pack of lies about that. First reaction to "EA says they're happy to rent or live with relatives" being = "Here we go - another vendor telling that particular lie. So many of them seem to do so that I wonder why anyone believes that one these days".

Personally - I wouldnt bite off my nose to spite my face by demanding a very short timespan between Exchange and Completion. I would just keep an eye on the lying little toerags generally from here on in - and make doubly sure everything they "said" to me was in writing. Check that legal questionnaire they have to fill in with a sceptical eye - in case they tell any further lies.

Also - I think buyers should be reasonable about how many viewings they put vendors through normally. But - with the vendors having put you out so with their lying - then ask for however many viewings you want with a clear conscience - as they "owe you one" because of that.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 18-10-2016 at 7:46 AM.
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 12,020 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They said they were "chain free". Didnt see any mention of child free
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I didn't even see any explicit mention of a chain - nor any of whether any chain (if one exists) has actually caused any problems.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 18th Oct 16, 8:01 AM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Argh the auto correct on my phone drives me made!

OP if they live on the property and are moving on completion day then they'd be crazy to agree to exchange and complete on the same day. Exchange often doesn't happen at the last second and that can happen on more than one occasion due to something not being completely ready in the chain. Add to that also trying to exchange all the money up along each solicitor, from bank to bank, when they started later in the day due to doing the exchange first. There's a higher chance of time running out and completion funds not reaching the end if the chain. Imagine people have booked time off work, paid for removals firms, and have spent all morning putting all their possessions in the trucks. They're about to set off and find out exchange didn't happen and have to unload and rebook everything for another day but still pay the removals firm. Imagine this happening more than once, or even make it as far as sitting outside their new house having exchanged but then finding out completion monies weren't received so now need to pay for a hotel and overnight storage of their belongings.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Oct 16, 8:13 AM
    • 2,520 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    csgohan4
    a 200 pound clean is a drop in the ocean in the grandscheme of things is it not? when your house cost 100's thousands
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 18th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    I recently moved and it was written into the contract that if the seller left any mess they'd have to pay for a firm to come in and sort it out. I know a lot of people say don't complete on a Friday but I did and had no problems at all. I was planning on doing it on a Monday but with us both being chain free they said Friday would be fine and I had an email about 1215pm that day saying I could come and collect the keys.

What I would say is that if you have been messed around this much then be careful. My seller, estate agents and solicitors all answered any emails I sent within 2 hours and I never had a problem getting hold of the seller. He actually still pops by now and then to check if everything is ok.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 18th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    martindow
    I recently moved and it was written into the contract that if the seller left any mess they'd have to pay for a firm to come in and sort it out.
    Originally posted by Mortgage Moog
    Is this of any use? What happens if the seller claims it was clean and the buyer disagrees? Unless the house is left with abandoned furniture or something else beyond dispute this seems pointless. And then you need to get them to pay up ...
    • hanb
    • By hanb 18th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    I've never understood why people would want to exchange and complete on the same day!

We completed last month, 2 weeks after the exchange. Lucky really as the exchange was delayed as there was an issue with the bank sending something having been due to exchange on the Friday, we didn't until the Monday. I was so glad we weren't due to complete and then had the weekend not knowing.

Friends recently exchanged and completed on the same day. It was a case of 3rd time lucky! They'd booked days off and removal men twice and it didn't happen. 3rd time they did get in but the sellers were still in the house at midnight because they "didn't think it would happen".. nightmare!

So yes, I'd agree seeing the place again before exchange is a good idea but I wouldn't push to complete on the same day unless you absolutely have to as, if they've already been a pain, surely the chances of that going smoothly are slim? At least once you've exchanged they're committed and you have the breathing space of a gap in between to sort yourself out for the move
    • pself
    • By pself 18th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    pself
    If I had a buyer insisting to complete and exchange on the same day I would tell them outright it is not happening. I was looking for a week, my vendor wants 2 weeks, I would be un-keen on more than the two weeks. Overall I dont want the complications and risks that come with trying to do both in one day, time off work, removals, etc etc not worth it.

In terms of an inspection before Exchange - sure go and do that will never do any harm.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 18th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    The only way I would ever consider exchanging and completing on the same day is if I wasn't selling anywhere and the property being purchased was vacant.

Unnecessarily stressful otherwise.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 18th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    always_sunny
    I exchanged and completed within few days and it was okay. as it was my first purchase in the UK I was surprised how at completion all these parties seem in a rush to move out and return keys, then again it's consistent with the circus that it is buying a property in England!

Ah don't expect the property to be left in a pristine cleaned condition like you would walk in a decent rental. Mine was alright but needed a good scrub!
    here on an EU passport.
    • savingman
    • By savingman 18th Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    savingman
    Why I have to be a goodie boy when all I had from seller (TBH estate agent) packk of lies. they want to squeeze everything from me. for example i said at the time of offer that offer is for curtains , carpet etc included and those cheeky B$$$$ put down as charge separately for carpet. I said though it is not agreed but if they insist then they have to make sure property is not damaged. once i told this the response was guess? ohh they filled form in rush so made mistake? someone writing on form charge seperately is a mistake?

TIf they changed from no chain to chain then they could do old british way (they are british in 50s) to request me politely rather they are doing what they want to do and think i will dance to their tune. Why people have to be selfish unnecesarily?
    • Riggyman
    • By Riggyman 19th Oct 16, 12:52 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Riggyman
    You don't have to be a goodie boy, pull out and buy another house. Or if you really like the house suck it up.

On a different matter, I've exchanged and completed on the same day on my last three houses. My solicitor likes it to protect me from risk when thee is no chain, and I love the excitement!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter