Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Mobile Phone Insurance direct from O2 or through the bank?
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    Mobile Phone Insurance direct from O2 or through the bank? 17th Oct 16 at 10:26 PM
    Over the summer, I was planning on buying a car, and before I bought it, I upgraded my Halifax account to Ultimate Reward for their breakdown cover, and my phone was covered through them as well.

The car I ended up buying, came with a year's breakdown cover and servicing anyway, and whilst Halifax let me down in other ways, I have now closed this account down.

I've recently moved that account over to Barclays, yet I haven't taken advantage of any of their packs yet, but their tech pack is £9.50 a month, and their travel pack is £10.50 which gives breakdown cover and travel insurance, but I will probably be looking at that one more next year now. I also hold my main account with First Direct, and they offer First Directory. That service doesn't appeal to me as much as the Barclays one though, but it's up there with the ideas.

Right now, I would like to protect my phone as I recently got a new one on contract with O2. I was mugged in Dublin last September where my phone was stolen, and it was supposed to be covered on my mum's house insurance policy but they weened their way out of it. So I really would like peace of mind that it's covered.

I'm wondering if anybody has experience with insurance like this? Am I better off covering my O2 contract through O2? Or through a bank?

EDIT:
    I just contacted O2 customer services, they said that damage only insurance is £6 per month, and for loss and theft it is £12 a month. I'm contemplating Barclays now
    Last edited by Jlawson118; 17-10-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    What are Barclays terms? Send us the purchase receipt which you wont have for a contract phone?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 18th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    What are Barclays terms? Send us the purchase receipt which you wont have for a contract phone?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I can log onto My O2 and it tells me the phone model and the IMEI number, would that be proof enough? I know when I put my 6S on my Halifax Ultimate reward, the phone was bought outright, but all I did was add the IMEI number and upload a proof of replacement document to prove ownership
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    Some policies will want the purchase receipt, nothing less will do not even a signed note from the queen or god.

Each policy will have their own terms you need to trawl through them to see if
    its right for you.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter