Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Samfuller1
    • By Samfuller1 17th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Samfuller1
    Bike stolen - paid on credit card...
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    Bike stolen - paid on credit card... 17th Oct 16 at 9:54 PM
    My bike was stolen today, have reported it to the Met Police but I'm not confident anything will come of it.

Bike was locked up outside Greenwich Uni, I paid cash from my account to the CC to boost my limit then paid the bike company direct from my CC for the bike less than 90 days ago.

How do I go about claiming the money back, if at all possible?

Sam
Page 1
    • john1002
    • By john1002 17th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    john1002
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    The simple answer is you can't, only way you can claim money back is if you have insurance on the bike and the terms of that insurance allow you to claim, otherwise your card company has no liability whats so ever.

John
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 9,383 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    Several CCs used to have "insurance cover" against loss or damage but most, if not all, ditched that a few years back so you need to claim on your home or bike insurance.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 17th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    Check out the credit card T&Cs to see if you have purchase protection which lasts for up to 90 days. If it's stolen within 90 days you should get your money back from the CC company. American Express credit cards have it and it's probably worth the extra APR they charge just for that.
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

Also check out https://www.bikeregister.com/ and security mark your next bike or look out for occasional free security marking events from your local Police.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 17-10-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - A pound a day - 30/365

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you

Unsliced bread: You can have it any thickness you want! The wonders of modern technology.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    Undated article, i wonder how old it is?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 9,383 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    I remember getting letters from my cards a few years ago ending the protection.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • samfuller1
    • By samfuller1 17th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    samfuller1
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    I have sent an e-mail to Barclaycard. Purchase was on 26/8. Fingers crossed.

I do not have bike insurance though I seem to recall the lock that failed had some kind of guarantee with it so will investigate that too.

Thanks for speedy responses.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    I have sent an e-mail to Barclaycard. Purchase was on 26/8. Fingers crossed.

I do not have bike insurance though I seem to recall the lock that failed had some kind of guarantee with it so will investigate that too.

Thanks for speedy responses.
    Originally posted by samfuller1
    Bike locks are mostly rated with a Sold Secure certificate which relates how long it takes to break into the lock, Gold taking longer than Bronze. At least that's what insurance companies quote. If you used a Sold Secure certified lock you may have insurance if the bike gets stolen. You need to prove it with the original purchase receipt. Could be you need to register the bike with the lock manufacturer in the first place.
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - A pound a day - 30/365

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you

Unsliced bread: You can have it any thickness you want! The wonders of modern technology.
    • samfuller1
    • By samfuller1 18th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    samfuller1
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    I had to register within thirty days of purchase to be eligible if the lock was broken
    • samfuller1
    • By samfuller1 19th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    samfuller1
    Looks like I'm left relying on the Met Police... Thanks all
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 19th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 11,023 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Looks like I'm left relying on the Met Police... Thanks all
    Originally posted by samfuller1
    If your lock failed then chase up the guarantee that came with it... and did you use your card to pay for the lock?
    • samfuller1
    • By samfuller1 21st Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    samfuller1
    The lock has a paid plan that is effectively insurance that you have to register to be eligible for.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 25th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    My bike was stolen today, have reported it to the Met Police but I'm not confident anything will come of it.

Bike was locked up outside Greenwich Uni, I paid cash from my account to the CC to boost my limit then paid the bike company direct from my CC for the bike less than 90 days ago.

How do I go about claiming the money back, if at all possible?

Sam
    Originally posted by Samfuller1
    Unfortunately the only way you can claim back on the credit card is if you still had the bike, and it went faulty on it's own and the place you got it from refused to help you, that's the only cover you have on your credit card

I tried asking the same a few months ago asking if I would be able to claim back on a flight as I ended up coming home earlier but it only really is cover for the quality of goods.

Maybe next time it might be a good idea to get insurance on your bike in case this happens again. There's some horrible people in the world. I had my phone snatched straight out of my hands in Dublin a few years ago, now I have it insured up to my eyeballs
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 25th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Unfortunately the only way you can claim back on the credit card is if you still had the bike, and it went faulty on it's own and the place you got it from refused to help you, that's the only cover you have on your credit card

I tried asking the same a few months ago asking if I would be able to claim back on a flight as I ended up coming home earlier but it only really is cover for the quality of goods.

Maybe next time it might be a good idea to get insurance on your bike in case this happens again. There's some horrible people in the world. I had my phone snatched straight out of my hands in Dublin last year, now I have it insured up to my eyeballs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter