Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 1,945Posts
    • 288Thanks
    Need an online storage account to share files but with restrictions?
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    Need an online storage account to share files but with restrictions? 17th Oct 16 at 9:50 PM
    Sorry, don't know how best to word it in a title. This is basically what i'm looking at doing...

I'm looking at starting a lottery syndicate at work. Getting the necessary paperwork drawn up & signed beforehand.

What i want to do is have a folder (let's select Google Drive as an example, although there are others such as Dropbox & many more) & in this folder will be a file, let's say a MS Word document or a MS Excel document.

This file will have a list of names of those who are taking part & who paid for a given week.

I would like this to be able to be edited by myself but only viewed by others. I can provide an URL & they can view through this URL but not edit.

And then another file that will contain the weekly results.

What i don't want straight away is:

1) A super long URL that's about 10 pages long. Something simple that i can enter on the paperwork being drawn up & they can type out no problem.

2) This is also an important one & actually the reason i thought to create this thread ... i don't want them to be able to click out of the folder & view other files/folders on the account. I want them to ONLY be able to see the files within the lottery folder, nothing else.

What is best for this & how do i set it up, securely?

Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 17th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    Google docs shared would be one way of doing it.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 18th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    It's not realy what you're after as I understand, but I'll mention it just because of the short link.

I've been using it for years without issue, but I notice Google has it labelled as potentially dangerous - not the site itself, but some of the links to be found there.

Here's an example link for a text file
    a text file can be viewed without downloading.

You can't edit a file online though, it's just a storage site so you'd have to upload the file every time you changed it, and pass on the new link(s). There's only 8 characters to remember once you've got the main url though.

Alternatively you could upload a text file to ge:tt containing the longer link to Google docs, or whatever site you choose (example on earlier link), then people can just follow the link there.
    N.B. if you did consider the option, they claim to only store files on unregistered accounts for 30 days, so you may want to create an account there to ensure the text file remains.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 18th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    I would use dropbox or google docs, you can specify access.

If you want a shorter URL, maybe use Google's link shortner for example

The link to this thread would be shortened to

(nb. Other link shorteners are available)
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,003Posts Today

7,730Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just come from physio. I've a level two hamstring tear. I'm gutted.The last time I missed my 10000-steps a day target was 20/9/15

• RT @taraevans: He did it first in June, now @MartinSLewis warns Vodafone customers to check their bills after it is fined £4.6m https://t.c?

• RT @BBCBusiness: We?re seeking people who've never switched energy providers to come meet @MartinSLewis in our London studio on Monday. @ r?

• Follow Martin