Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 17th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 4,132Posts
    • 2,854Thanks
    pfpf
    Confused by ebay Search Results.
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    Confused by ebay Search Results. 17th Oct 16 at 9:01 PM
    I did a search on ebay for:
    'lego case'
    an item came up that also included the word 'display'
    but if I then search 'lego display case' the same item does not appear in the search results.

edit: so I just tried 'lego display' and again not showing the result. so an item that contains those 3 words only appears in search results if you pick a particular 2 of the 3 words.

having done a bit of test searching I see a few examples of this type of thing. I am about to start selling again on ebay for the 1st time in 10 years and I'm going to be listing my life long collections of everything (hard as it is), possibly 100's of items.

I want to give my listing the best chance, so what is it with the search discrepancy?

thank you.
    Last edited by pfpf; 17-10-2016 at 9:37 PM.
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    The search isn't straight forward like in the "old days". While I can't comment on your particular search, there are cases where it will try to figure out what you are looking for. quite frustrating when you are selling items and they don't appear.
    I often wonder if it's possible that listing can be given a hidden score or weighting by eBay. Certainly some of my listings have disappeared altogether, and I have theories as to why.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 18th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    jondav
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    The search isn't straight forward like in the "old days". While I can't comment on your particular search, there are cases where it will try to figure out what you are looking for. quite frustrating when you are selling items and they don't appear.
    I often wonder if it's possible that listing can be given a hidden score or weighting by eBay. Certainly some of my listings have disappeared altogether, and I have theories as to why.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Hmmmm......I do wonder the same thing. I have had items for sale myself and when I search for them, they either don't appear at all, or are way down the lists, even when newly listed. I have also noticed that if you log in and do a search, you get completely different results than if you simply search without logging in......all very strange!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 57,704 Posts
    • 40,792 Thanks
    soolin
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    I find the ebay search frustrating, I get different results depending on whether I search on my PC or ipad.

OP , you will almost certainly be treated as a new seller when you start to list so will be subject to potentially quite low listing limits for the first few months, plus it is likely your funds will be held for 21 days as well, so be prepared. Ebay has changed as well, so take a moment to read the sticky postage thread on this forum, and should you be considering any collection only items , also read the sticky thread about the problems associated with collection.

If selling off a collection also be warned that depending on what it is ebay might just decide you are a business.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    The search is manipulated to favour certain sellers or items it seems.

As above, i have had the same happen. Search for an item on my PC and it gave x number of results, identical search on my phone and its a different number.

I was after a machine and the search resultsd showed very few items, but in the box below where it says other items you maybe interested in showed more of them. Correct keywords but they do not show in the results.

Manipulated to death. Ive started using google to find items on ebay. The issue with that though is it finds listings that have ended also.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 18th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    There is also evidence that eBay divvies up the sales between sellers so that everyone has some sales activity. If you click into some sub categories and then narrow the results, e.g. "new", or "new other" etc, note there that if one or two major retailers dominate the results, eBay will display the small sellers first to give them a fighting chance.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 18th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    Manipulated to death. Ive started using google to find items on ebay. The issue with that though is it finds listings that have ended also.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

I'm not certain but I think that only works if the item has a specific ean/mfn/number/whatever.

Collectable items that do not have these do not seem to show in google search at all.

Last week I was searching mine and other sellers specific items using "unique" title descriptions and I was getting no relevant results at all.

one specific item I was searching for now shows in a result for a 3rd party auction results site, but still does not show as a completed eBay item on google. That is more than a little concerning...
    Last edited by Pierre De Grenoble; 18-10-2016 at 7:48 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    I bought an item a little while back, the seller posted a link on another forum and i thought it was a scam.

Search google, uk, com, de etc etc and nothing found. I even went to the item and clicked show sellers items and they were selling nothing?

I won it at a bargain price, helped by it not showing on searches etc and really expected it to be a scam of some sort.

But the item arrived with no issues.

Searching now milling machine = 1958 results
    New 1375
    UK Only 706
    Minimum Price £550 150
    -vice = 87 (-vice removes results with the work VICE)
    Max Price £900 14 results. But only 12 showing?

And even though i sort by price the 8th item is only £684?

and this item is missing even though its available if you click sellers other items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361545263155
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• runner2014
    • By runner2014 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    runner2014
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    Try Gumtree.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Try Gumtree to search ebay?

Im after a special fuse, plenty from China for pennies but unless in want to pay £30 for 5 from a UK seller then they are lacking but i stumbled across some from a UK seller for much less. The search is just useless.

Seems the only way to find some items is find a similar item and then go through the sellers items one by one.

• ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 19th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I bought an item a little while back, the seller posted a link on another forum and i thought it was a scam.

Search google, uk, com, de etc etc and nothing found. I even went to the item and clicked show sellers items and they were selling nothing?

I won it at a bargain price, helped by it not showing on searches etc and really expected it to be a scam of some sort.

But the item arrived with no issues.

Searching now milling machine = 1958 results
    New 1375
    UK Only 706
    Minimum Price £550 150
    -vice = 87 (-vice removes results with the work VICE)
    Max Price £900 14 results. But only 12 showing?

And even though i sort by price the 8th item is only £684?

and this item is missing even though its available if you click sellers other items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361545263155
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

This is why I asked earlier if eBay give a hidden score or "weighting" to listings. For example, they dislike active content, you could get a minus 1. The "other items" link put in by the old listing insert function is now a dead link which appears in possibly millions of listings, is that another minus 1 and so on. Scores for similar looking listing which could amount to duplicate listings. All speculation on my part though.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 23,312 Posts
    • 9,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Unless an ebay insider gives the game away we will never know, no point asking ebay because they tell lies.

Like the time they started logging people out after x amount of time, my ebay account used to stay logged in forever. Then it started logging out and they blamed my computer and my internet and everything else. They failed to disclose its a test to see how often they can log you out before people start complaining or not bothering.

• pfpf
    • By pfpf 20th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    pfpf
    thanks for the information and advice.
    I got 20 items listed, 1 has bids on it and one has sold on BIN.
    my selling limit was 30 items / £1500.00 but today has been increased 3x.
    looking back my last activity as a seller was 2006 but back then had good feeback so maybe a quick increase due to that?
    to try and get some feedback going I have only listed cheaper items with free P&P. I'd like some recent feedback before I list my collection items. I didn't actually realise a basic 2nd class parcel now cost £2.85 with royal mail. postage options are my next area to research.
    I do hope I don't get branded a "business" seller when I start selling my collections. what are the ramifications if that happens on a day to day basis?
    thank you.
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter