Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 17th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 87Thanks
    cairndog
    Motor Insurance On Benefits
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    Motor Insurance On Benefits 17th Oct 16 at 8:55 PM
    Which insurers are best to try if you're long term unemployed?
    Has anyone had any better than sky high quotes or is it wishful thinking.?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 23,299 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    You try all the comparison sites and then the companies not on the comparison sites, then try club schemes for your make/model of car.

Only then will you know if the quotes are excessive.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 17th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 6,235 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    A friend who was on benefits for many years swore by esure - but she was also pretty money-savvy by necessity and did do careful comparisons every renewal. She also lived in a remote and low-crime rural area, which probably also helped a lot.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 17th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 5,362 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    but you are working! you are employed by DWP to research job leads and test them out

the unemployed get hammered with car insurance Cos , they seem to think that £74 a week is going to allow them to do huge mileages per week
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Jamiesmum
    • By Jamiesmum 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Jamiesmum
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    I didn't know car insurance was more expensive for unemployed people. why is this?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    I didn't know car insurance was more expensive for unemployed people. why is this?
    Originally posted by Jamiesmum
    To incentivise them to get to work.
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 18th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    dannyrst
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    Which insurers are best to try if you're long term unemployed?
    Has anyone had any better than sky high quotes or is it wishful thinking.?
    Originally posted by cairndog
    I've never been asked to prove my profession by an insurer. Go ahead and pick any you fancy off the list.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 18th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    I've never been asked to prove my profession by an insurer. Go ahead and pick any you fancy off the list.
    Originally posted by dannyrst
    That's great unless they discover you've been lying to them - probably after an accident because they have no need to check otherwise. Then your insurance gets cancelled, and you get listed on the insurance fraud database, which gets shared with all the other insurance companies.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 5,362 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:30 PM

see post above yours , try running a quote on a "go compare" type site , and edit the job description between your job or even a cleaner/shop worker or warehouse staff and unemployed , and watch it rocket
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 18th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    adonis
    I was unemployed and I found with Aviva the premiums was the same price.
    • konark
    • By konark 20th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    konark
    On many companies it's the same price and if you use a comparison site they'll be the ones you go with because they're cheapest.

Can't see putting 'unemployed' for your profession is correct anyways, it's not a profession is it? If it is it's not a very well-paid one!
    • benten69
    • By benten69 20th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    The answer is simply because of statistics. From what insurers have found over the years, it seems like people who are unemployed are more likely to get into accidents, so they are statistically a higher risk than others.

It's ridiculous, because someone who was say a doctor who got let go doesn't automatically become a higher risk, but its the way they do things I'm afraid.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Evo 5, 350bhp, 350 ft/lb of torque, think my insurance was something like £600, then I sold it for an Audi A4 diesel. Much slower car, and realistically, much less likely to speed or do silly things in it.

My insurance premium went UP by £100, not down!! I argued my point with the insurers and they came back and said "because there are more of this type of car (Audi) on the road you are more likely to be involved in an accident than with your last car".

So yeah, apparently the SLOWER, more reliable car is more of an insurance risk than the road going rally car.....my response was simply "so if I buy a Zonda will you insure me for free, seeing as there is maybe 100 of those in the entire UK...."

Needless to say, he couldn't respond to that and simply said it's what their system is telling them.

So yeah, just comes down to what their statistics deem as a higher risk.
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 20th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    dannyrst
    That's great unless they discover you've been lying to them - probably after an accident because they have no need to check otherwise. Then your insurance gets cancelled, and you get listed on the insurance fraud database, which gets shared with all the other insurance companies.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Dude I was kidding. Chill out.

Although my dad wrote two cars off and was never asked to prove his employment status or job title.
    • jaydeeuk11
    • By jaydeeuk11 20th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    jaydeeuk11
    but you are working! you are employed by DWP to research job leads and test them out

the unemployed get hammered with car insurance Cos , they seem to think that £74 a week is going to allow them to do huge mileages per week
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Think its more to do with the fact that if its a choice between eating or replace the bald tyres/leaking brakes, then they're more likely to choose the food option, so rightfully imo, they should be charged more as they're a higher risk.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 20th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 2,298 Posts
    • 4,813 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    My insurance premium went UP by £100, not down!! I argued my point with the insurers and they came back and said "because there are more of this type of car (Audi) on the road you are more likely to be involved in an accident than with your last car".
    Originally posted by benten69
    That suggests the person that told you doesn't understand statistics, or possibly what they were told by someone that does, or were just making it up. Unless you can talk to an actuary, you're unlikely to get the real reason.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 20th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Generally there's a "new car" factor - your unfamiliar with it so more likely to do something wrong (hit the wrong switch, misjudge the length/turning circle, or overstep on the performance), and will come down again.

I normally keep cars for about 4-5 years, so I usually get an initial hit changing and then it settles down.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 20th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Ectophile
    That suggests the person that told you doesn't understand statistics, or possibly what they were told by someone that does, or were just making it up. Unless you can talk to an actuary, you're unlikely to get the real reason.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    More likely, it's because Mitsubishi Evos are enthusiasts' cars, and enthusiasts like to look after their cars, not wreck them.

Whereas, Audis are driven by Audi drivers.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 21st Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 12,705 Posts
    • 7,995 Thanks
    arcon5
    They'll be a higher risk of defaulting
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 21st Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    They'll be a higher risk of defaulting
    Originally posted by arcon5

Based on what?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

2,246Users online

Martin's Twitter