Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Kingbriton
    • By Kingbriton 17th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Child Earnings
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    Child Earnings 17th Oct 16 at 8:00 PM

Feel free to kick my !!!! for posting in the wrong area but I couldn't find anything relevant to our situation.

Which is this...

My 15 year old son is a junior programmer and has suddenly hit gold... He has money flowing in from internet advertising at quite a rate... And listening to his plans he will probably be out performing both his parents before the end of next year.

What is the legal situation with this money... HMRC... Tax credits... Banking...etc

Can he just keep it and spend it with no effect on us?
Page 1
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 17th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 8,602 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    He has his own tax allowance and will need to register with HMRC if he is earning. He certainly can't just spend all the money and not account for tax. Not sure of impact on tax credits if the child earns more than their parents, interesting query!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 18,744 Posts
    • 10,573 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    He'll have a standard personal allowance.

HMRC will have dealt with children who earn - give them a ring.
    • Startup1985
    • By Startup1985 17th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    I take it you don't mean internet advertising in the shape of Adsense? If so you have to be older than 15 unless it is registered in your parents name and linked to their bank in which case it would be you paying tax on the earnings I believe
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,375Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter