Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 17th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 223Posts
    • 87Thanks
    Mr Poves
    used car tyre advice .
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    used car tyre advice . 17th Oct 16 at 7:31 PM
    Can anyone advise on this please .
    I went viewing a used car last week at a main dealer .
    I picked up straight away that one tyre had significantly less tread depth than the other 3 .
    I mentioned this to the salesman and he hummed and arred , said he would look into it .
    I'm going picking the car up tomorrow and again mentioned about the tyre today on the phone .
    I only just got the reg number today as it's been on a private plate , so I have checked the mot history and it's been mot'd last week and mentions 3 tyre's that are close to the legal limit .
    So as I suspected someone has been mixing and matching the tyres and left the best one on the car , whilst putting 3 significantly better ones on .
    Am I being unreasonable wanting 4 matching tyres on a 2012 car ?
    I would never dream of only changing 3 tyres on a car and leaving one with hardly any tread ?
    Last edited by Mr Poves; 17-10-2016 at 7:33 PM.
Page 2
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 18th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    MataNui
    Is it a normal type tyre (40-50 quid) or a super wide rubber band type that would cost a few hundred?

Either way it would put me off. Its pretty normal to replace both front/rear as a pair. mixing and matching would suggest a serious lack of care of the vehicle. If the previous owner changed the tyres it would make me a bit suspect about how well they cared for the car while they had it. If the garage did it then i wouldnt by buying a go-cart from a bunch of cowboys like that.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 18th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 4,110 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Bear in mind that if you ask them to replace the tyre, they'll get the cheapest one they can to put on it, so you're probably better negotiating £50 off for you to replace the tyre with one that matches the rest.

But at this stage, if they resist, are you really going to walk away from it, over what's probably under £100 and 10 minutes in a tyre fitters?
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    takman
    I'm mainly asking people would they be happy with 3 tyres with for example 6 mm of tread , and one with 2 mm ?
    And whether it's me overthinking the issue .
    Originally posted by Mr Poves
    I definetly wouldn't be happy with it just because of the fact that it had two different tyre brands on the same axle, the fact that it has such a difference in tread depth makes it worse. I would either get them to put on a matching one or negotiate the price of the tyre off the price. But it may be too late because you have already paid the deposit so I'm assuming you have agreed on the price.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 18th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    Paradigm
    Either way it would put me off. Its pretty normal to replace both front/rear as a pair. mixing and matching would suggest a serious lack of care of the vehicle. If the previous owner changed the tyres it would make me a bit suspect about how well they cared for the car while they had it. If the garage did it then i wouldnt by buying a go-cart from a bunch of cowboys like that.
    Originally posted by MataNui

Really? If my car needs a new tyre I'm not going to swap the other perfectly good one just to have a "matching pair", I'll buy the cheapest "decent" tyre they have.

At the moment mine has... Conti & Pirelli front/ Michelin & Good Year rear. Is that really someone showing a serious lack of care?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    takman
    Really? If my car needs a new tyre I'm not going to swap the other perfectly good one just to have a "matching pair", I'll buy the cheapest "decent" tyre they have.

At the moment mine has... Conti & Pirelli front/ Michelin & Good Year rear. Is that really someone showing a serious lack of care?
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    Yes that is a serious lack of care!. Firstly tyres on the same axle should be wearing fairly evenly so you shouldn't have to change just one.
    Secondly each of those different tyres will be made from a different compound so they will all have different handling characteristics and also different braking capabilities. This means under heavy braking the car will be less stable.

I always have the same tyres all round on my cars and I always change them in pairs minimum. But on my 2wd cars I swap the wheels front to rear half way through the expected life of the tyres. This means that they all wear out at the same time so I can get 4 at once.

So yes have individual tyres wear out and changing them one by one shows an owner who isn't interested in the care or safety of their vehicle.
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 18th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    What principal is that then
    Originally posted by arcon5
    errrr , the principle of common sense - who in their right mind would pay thousands for a car , to then drive out of the dealer into kwik fit for a tyre ?
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 18th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    Not Evans Halshaw is it ?? I had exactly the same issue a while back with the above...criteria is 3mm or less they change the tyres above that no change....hard and fast rule.

On balance price was much lower than others so, yes I bought a tyre a week after buying a car...all swings and roundabouts !
    Originally posted by wazza99
    No not them , another big name though .
    I seem to have rattled a few cages as there was a new tyre on today when I arrived .
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input .
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 18th Oct 16, 11:14 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    No not them , another big name though .
    I seem to have rattled a few cages as there was a new tyre on today when I arrived .
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input .
    That's good - I hope they are a matched set of four now.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th Oct 16, 1:08 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    mgdavid
    errrr , the principle of common sense - who in their right mind would pay thousands for a car , to then drive out of the dealer into kwik fit for a tyre ?
    no one in their right mind should go to kwik-fit.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    wazza99
    I think the old bias to Kwik fit/ATS and the like is uncalled for now, the old scams are largely gone in my experience, my local Kwik Fit and ATS are both friendly and do exactly as you ask with no additional pressure. I do have a local independent garage also but there are times when the fast fit places just work better, they offer drive in drive out services with menu pricing.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 19th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    MataNui

Yes. It is. Running mis-matched tyres on the same axle is dangerous. If you are too skintflint to pay to keep your car safe then you would be unlikely to pay to keep it otherwise properly maintained. Doing this on an average runaround would be bad enough. If this was done on a performance car it would be somewhere beyond moronic.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    wazza99
    Yes. It is. Running mis-matched tyres on the same axle is dangerous. If you are too skintflint to pay to keep your car safe then you would be unlikely to pay to keep it otherwise properly maintained. Doing this on an average runaround would be bad enough. If this was done on a performance car it would be somewhere beyond moronic.

Rubbish....its not dangerous in the slightest...i think your thinking of radial and crossplys !!

There will be 100's thousands of cars driving round on none matched tyres, all passing mot's and driving perfectly safely.....scaremongering at its best.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 19th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    Paradigm
    Yes that is a serious lack of care!. Firstly tyres on the same axle should be wearing fairly evenly so you shouldn't have to change just one.
    Secondly each of those different tyres will be made from a different compound so they will all have different handling characteristics and also different braking capabilities. This means under heavy braking the car will be less stable.

I always have the same tyres all round on my cars and I always change them in pairs minimum. But on my 2wd cars I swap the wheels front to rear half way through the expected life of the tyres. This means that they all wear out at the same time so I can get 4 at once.

So yes have individual tyres wear out and changing them one by one shows an owner who isn't interested in the care or safety of their vehicle.
    Originally posted by takman

Well it just goes to show that you can learn something everyday, I'm totally ashamed to admit I've been doing it wrong all these years.
    I'll make sure that I take your advice on board the next time I get a non-repairable puncture & I'll junk the other tyre with 6-7mm of tread just so I can have a matched pair!

BTW: Love the word "skinflint"... haven't heard it for while.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 19th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    Utter tosh, if that were the case, don't you think it would be an MOT fail?
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 19th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    no one in their right mind should go to kwik-fit.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    haha , I used them as an example , I have a local guy who does tyres , much rather support a smaller business .
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 19th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    I can't believe the trouble I've started with this thread !
    As a final bow out from me , I picked it up and it has 4 matching mid range ish tyres on , I'm not overly keen on the brand and would be putting premium tyres on if it was my call , it's not an f1 car and only does 100 miles per week , plus I'm getting towards 40 now and trying to be sensible , hence the small runaround .
    Thanks for the input everyone .
    • takman
    • By takman 19th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    takman
    Rubbish....its not dangerous in the slightest...i think your thinking of radial and crossplys !!

There will be 100's thousands of cars driving round on none matched tyres, all passing mot's and driving perfectly safely.....scaremongering at its best.
    Originally posted by wazza99
    Utter tosh, if that were the case, don't you think it would be an MOT fail?
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    MOT standards are actually quite slack so it's not surprising that they allow different tyres on the same axle.

Imagine if you had two tyres on the right hand side of the car with thread that gripped well in the wet and almost slicks on the other side with poor wet grip. As soon as you braked hard the car grip only on the right hand side and spin round in a circle.

All tyre brands that use different compounds and different construction methods will perform differently under heavy braking. and steering. So if you have mismatching tyres they will all perform differently in the same conditions causing the car to become unstable under braking.

This may not be noticeable during normal driving but why would you want to risk an unstable car in an emergency braking situation just because you cant be bothered to get the same tyres.

Personally i have researched tyres available for my car and have chosen a tyre based on a good compromise of how long it will last, price and performance. I then swap wheels front to back and get four new ones because they always wear out at the same rate. So it only takes a small amount of planning to keep all the same tyres on your car.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 9,400 Thanks
    molerat
    Many years ago I had a brand new car. At around 2 years the fronts needed changing so being a penny pincher I used the brand new unused spare from the boot and bought one exact same new tyre, the best used one going back in the boot. All the tyre markings were the same. The car started pulling to one side. Went back to the tyre place, he was a bit puzzled, checked balancing etc but all was fine. He swapped the fronts over to see what would happen. The car then pulled the other way. Put them on the back and all was ok from then on. Just goes to show that changing just one tyre can have quite a difference.

One thing about different rate of tyre wear - a "town" car will often wear the front left quicker than the right due to it travelling further distance. Ask any taxi driver.
    Last edited by molerat; 20-10-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 20th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    One thing about different rate of tyre wear - a "town" car will often wear the front left quicker than the right due to it travelling further distance. Ask any taxi driver.
    Originally posted by molerat

Does the opposite apply in countries where they drive on the right?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 9,400 Thanks
    molerat
    Probably - although most other countries don't have the obsession with roundabouts that the UK does
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter