Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 17th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 16Thanks
    chipfire
    Admiral Admin Fee
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    Admiral Admin Fee 17th Oct 16 at 7:05 PM
    Admiral just tried to charge me nearly £20 just to inform them of my new address following a house move.
    Thought I would share that

I refused and they relented.
    Last edited by chipfire; 17-10-2016 at 7:30 PM.
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 17th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    You'll probably find the admin charge is detailed in their terms and conditions... hardly something new.
    Capital One:£1,279.60/£1,300.00
    Aqua: £285.73/£300.00
    o2: £271.00
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 17th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    You'll probably find the admin charge is detailed in their terms and conditions... hardly something new.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl

Thanks for that genius.

My point in posting was to let others know that they will relent if you push back, whether it's in the terms & conditions or not.

Have a great evening reading your T&Cs lol.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 85,092 Posts
    • 50,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    They may relent but the more that do it will mean the more the premiums will go up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 17th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    Thanks for that genius.

My point in posting was to let others know that they will relent if you push back, whether it's in the terms & conditions or not.

Have a great evening reading your T&Cs lol.
    Originally posted by chipfire
    Why celebrate and publish that they 'relent'? As mentioned ultimately rates will go up for all.

You've called them, causing them expense and justifying the staff they employ. All things which justify the fee...

Would you be so happy if they pushed back, using the same T's & C's, if you tried to claim?!

But hey... you're the genius...

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 15,616 Posts
    • 11,326 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    I'm quite disappointed in Admiral's response. If it had been my insurance company and you had refused to pay a fee that you had previously agreed to (and £20 is pretty reasonable for a mid-term change) then I would have cancelled your policy and you'd have had to advise insurers of that for the rest of your life, costing you a hell of a lot more than £20.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 18th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    They're well within their rights to charge for work you cause them, if you don't agree with the amount then you shouldn't have taken out the policy. I assume you read the terms and conditions, right?

I've worked for companies before who charge fees and the response is usually "Pay the admin fee or we won't do the admin. Your choice if you want to have invalid insurance".

You didn't win a battle, you just got lucky, whilst little by little every time someone else gets lucky, premiums go up that little bit more to counteract the loss of fees.

Even worse if it was an additional premium rather than an admin fee which may be the case if it was "nearly" £20 rather than a flat £20.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 18th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    OP's gone silent now... realising he is posting in the wrong place...

He meant to post in the "celebrating ludicrous little wins which will penalise the masses" forum.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 14,335 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 11:24 AM

He meant to post in the "celebrating ludicrous little wins which will penalise the masses" forum.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    No he didn't.

This is MSE where we are asked to share our money saving tips.

No different to sharing haggling over premiums successes!

A win hits the insurer's profits in the first instance - they cannot just put up everyone's premium every time a haggler manages a result!
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 18th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy

A win hits the insurer's profits in the first instance - they cannot just put up everyone's premium every time a haggler manages a result!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    And who do you think will pay the price of an insurer not hitting their profit margins...?!
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 18th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire
    They may relent but the more that do it will mean the more the premiums will go up.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Thank goodness I saved £20 then. Cheers
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 18th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire
    I'm quite disappointed in Admiral's response. If it had been my insurance company and you had refused to pay a fee that you had previously agreed to (and £20 is pretty reasonable for a mid-term change) then I would have cancelled your policy and you'd have had to advise insurers of that for the rest of your life, costing you a hell of a lot more than £20.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Thanks for voicing your disappointment! Try not to let it get to you.
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 18th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire
    Why celebrate and publish that they 'relent'? As mentioned ultimately rates will go up for all.

You've called them, causing them expense and justifying the staff they employ. All things which justify the fee...

Would you be so happy if they pushed back, using the same T's & C's, if you tried to claim?!

But hey... you're the genius...

Sorry I've added 0.00000000000000000000000000001p to yours and everyone else's premium! I saved £20 which is what these forums should be about. Cheers
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 18th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire
    And who do you think will pay the price of an insurer not hitting their profit margins...?!
    Aaaaawwwwww....sympathy for the big insurers !LOL
    • chipfire
    • By chipfire 18th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chipfire

Have I really?

MSE is all about little wins. You are entirely in the wrong place!

Cheers then!
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 18th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Mr K
    Bl**dy hell. the OP saved £20 and is sharing the experience. MONEY SAVING EXPERT, not we hate anyone who makes a saving, that we haven't....
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I agree.

Charging admin for a new car or to add/remove someone from a policy fair enough, but to change address is going a bit far. That said, the majority are probably doing that anyway but not being so blatant; the premium adjustment due to the change in address has probably had admin factored into it.

Even the DVLA don't charge to change address and that's with a photocard system that seems to be a cash cow.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 No. 520 ~ ?/£100
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge ~ #9
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 ~ Probably about £100 over budget!
    Emergency Fund #170 ~ £300
    Xmas 2017 #25
    • takman
    • By takman 18th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    takman
    Sorry I've added 0.00000000000000000000000000001p to yours and everyone else's premium! I saved £20 which is what these forums should be about. Cheers
    Originally posted by chipfire
    Actually it would be about 0.006p added to each of the Admiral groups insurance policies.

That number you have posted would mean that Admiral have more insurance policies than the number of stars in the entire universe. So I think you overestimate how popular they are!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter