Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 17th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 12,436Posts
    • 224,222Thanks
    mattytun
    Having A Bath.
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    Having A Bath. 17th Oct 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, I have more showers than baths, but now and then I like a good old soak in a bath, and when I'm lying back I think to myself I don't now how people can have baths with candles around the tub flickering or drinking a glass of wine.

Well not for me I like peace only in the bath

Anyone else the same or do you like baths with candles wine etc.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
Page 2
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 36,468 Posts
    • 73,302 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Presumably you drain the bath and THEN get out.
    Wouldnt work for me, it gets awfully cold waiting for a bath to drain, i have to hop out and get dried to stay warm, invariably im dry and dressed before its drained.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    Ah, what a brilliant idea. Whatever will these people come up with next? A plug-hole in a tin bath perhaps.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 18th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Yes, my MIL used to have that type.
    Ah, what a brilliant idea. Whatever will these people come up with next? A plug-hole in a tin bath perhaps.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • Just a Girl
    • By Just a Girl 18th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Just a Girl
    I have a bath at least once a week, more often twice. I'm in the gym four times a week and a nice soak in the bath soothes my aching muscles.

I use it to give myself a pamper - Lush bath bomb, face mask, candles, kindle (with either a book or Netflix), deep condition my hair, etc.

I don't understand people saying you're lying in dirty water though, years ago when people only bathed once a week maybe, but I shower once or twice a day and if I'm having a bath in the early evening, I will already have showered in the morning and possibly after the gym too. My water is never dirty
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 18th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Indout96
    In our old house we had a 18 hole Air-spa bath, biggest waste of money ever as it never got used (well grandson loved it when he was young but the bubble bath went everywhere) we just always used the shower.
    In new house we only have a large walk in shower which fits 2 easily, no thoughts of getting a bath put in ever again.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    fairy lights
    How do you keep the water warm? After 20-25 mins, the water goes cold.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I start off with the water so hot you could boil a lobster in it so it takes a long time to get cold. If I'm reading a really good book and don't want to get out I will top the hot water up several times.
    • Just a Girl
    • By Just a Girl 18th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Just a Girl
    I start off with the water so hot you could boil a lobster in it so it takes a long time to get cold. If I'm reading a really good book and don't want to get out I will top the hot water up several times.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Yes! This is me too
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 55,990 Posts
    • 321,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just get in, get clean, get out.

I've never understood how people who have "deep baths" manage to move without it all slopping over the edge.

I can't relax in the bath, you're lying there and it's boring ... and I'm not even covered by the water.

In, wash, out. Job done. Now go and relax on the sofa
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 18th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I will generally only run a bath if I've been on my feet all day and doing a lot of physical stuff so want a soak. I might read, but I definitely won't involve candles, I have a perfectly good electric light in the bathroom!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 18th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Yes! This is me too
    Originally posted by Just a Girl
    Thirded.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    Izadora
    I do the same but tend to catch up with telly rather than read. I prop the tablet up on the toilet and relax while I watch programmes that my boyfriend hates.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 10,269 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I just get in, get clean, get out.

I've never understood how people who have "deep baths" manage to move without it all slopping over the edge.

I can't relax in the bath, you're lying there and it's boring ... and I'm not even covered by the water.

In, wash, out. Job done. Now go and relax on the sofa
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I'm the same. Had baths as a kid - hated showers. Think my first shower when I was 8/9 at a campsite. As.a teenager, I used showers more when my parents changed the bathroom which included a shower.

The rented property me and my ex had - there was no shower. It took ages to fill the bath. So I had a bath one day, he the next. We complained about sorting out the plumbing or get a shower installed - even putting about £130 in, but fell on deaf ears.

Hardly use the bath now. Actually when I was finding a property, if there was a shower only, it wouldn't bother me.

Give me a onesie, mug of coffee and Prisoner CBH on Youtube
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 18th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 12,436 Posts
    • 224,222 Thanks
    mattytun
    Might need someone to scrub my back tonight But I'm afraid you can't bring a book or light candles because I don't do that.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 16,185 Thanks
    Missli
    I'm not bothered about candles, but every now and then I do like using one of my favourite Lush bath bombs, etc. Love a pampering soak!
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 18th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 9,606 Posts
    • 17,197 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I miss my bath- I have a wet room now but ever since I wound up in Milton Keynes hospital after falling over in the bath in my hotel room I'm scared to have a bath if I stay in a hotel now.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 18th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I have such a lovely spacious bathroom with NO CLUTTER so every bath I take is a treat!! I wouldn't bother with anything more for myself but when my Sil comes to stay, I go the whole hog for her - candles, warm towels, radio . . She hates having just a shower!!
    I don't know the future but the past looks clearer every day
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 18th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    A bath is boring. Plus it magnifies my 'lady of a certain age' fat. I'd sooner have a shower, with my eyes closed.

Actually, I'd sooner not bother at all, but the neighbours complain about the death smell.

Going to start spraying Lynx around and pretend that I have a toyboy. Or I might just have a bath! Maybe.
    • basil92
    • By basil92 18th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    Having a bath was often the only way I could truly get warm again after working for 8 hours in the rain, cold and bitterness of a winters day in northern England.

A shower just didn't do the trick, so having a hot bath was a necessity for me.

That said, on non work days, during winter, there is nothing better than lying in a hot bath with a glass of wine, candles lit and music on.......
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • Fluff15
    • By Fluff15 19th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 3,134 Thanks
    Fluff15
    I have a bath around once a week, and use that time to put on a facemask, hair conditioning, and body scrub. It's usually accompanied by a Lush product, as well as candles, and I like to put on Rainymood.com while I'm reading a book.

I remember being at home with Mum and us not being very well off, so hot water was a commodity. I live pretty comfortably on my own now, so indulge myself by topping up the hot water while I'm in there
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,433 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I hate baths.

I don't like the waste of water.
    I find just lying there is boring.
    My fingers go shrivelly and feel horrible.
    There's always one bit of me that's out of the water and getting cold.

No, I'm a shower person, and a pretty fast shower at that!

The only time I've really wanted a bath was: a) in the days when I had a motorbike and would get home after work in winter absolutely frozen to the bone.....then a hot bath was the only thing that warmed me up.
    And b) on the rare occasion when I've run myself into the ground doing physical work or walking for miles etc., and am aching all over.

However, I can't now remember the last time I had a bath. Possibly 3, maybe 4 years ago? Maybe more.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    fairy lights
    A bath is boring. Plus it magnifies my 'lady of a certain age' fat. I'd sooner have a shower, with my eyes closed.
    Originally posted by Nomoonatall
    That's what bubble bath is for, if you get enough bubbles going you can use them as a modesty blanket...it is disturbing how all the wobbly bits try to float to the surface in the bath isn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter