Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluep
    • By bluep 17th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,202Posts
    • 692Thanks
    bluep
    Car insurance - how to insurance my mothers car
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    Car insurance - how to insurance my mothers car 17th Oct 16 at 5:54 PM
    My father died two months ago and my mother wants to keep his car in her name but insure me to drive her in it when she needs. She isn't able to drive any more for medical reasons (she has a valid license but has never felt confident in going down the path of telling the dvla and passing whatever tests she would need to - other people do drive with her condition but she doesn't feel confident doing so). She would like to stay the registered keeper of the car - is there anyway it can be insured with me as the main driver or named driver whilst she owns the car?). I have my own company car so it wouldn't be my main vehicle (mine is a lot smaller and I think she wants to just still have Dad's car around).

Any idea if this is possible? I've only known insurers to allow you to have a policy on a spouses car...and I'm guessing it can't be in her name.
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 17th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    takman
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    My father died two months ago and my mother wants to keep his car in her name but insure me to drive her in it when she needs. She isn't able to drive any more for medical reasons (she has a valid license but has never felt confident in going down the path of telling the dvla and passing whatever tests she would need to - other people do drive with her condition but she doesn't feel confident doing so). She would like to stay the registered keeper of the car - is there anyway it can be insured with me as the main driver or named driver whilst she owns the car?). I have my own company car so it wouldn't be my main vehicle (mine is a lot smaller and I think she wants to just still have Dad's car around).

Any idea if this is possible? I've only known insurers to allow you to have a policy on a spouses car...and I'm guessing it can't be in her name.
    Originally posted by bluep
    Well firstly I wouldn't agree that she has a valid licence if she has a condition that she has to report to the DVLA but has failed to do so.

You would have to be the main driver anyway because your the one who drives the car the most, if you put yourself as a named driver that would be illegal and would be fronting. But I don't know what an insurance companies view would be of having someone on a policy that legally couldn't drive.

So it's just a simple case of you going on a comparison site putting yourself as the main driver and your mother as the registered keeper and owner. But with that kind of arrangement and no no claims discount it won't be very cheap.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 30,257 Posts
    • 14,344 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    If your mother has a condition that is supposed to be notified to DVLA then she must also disclose it to any insurers she approaches for cover.

Failure to do so would allow any insurer of any policy she was covered by to void the policy!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 34,737 Posts
    • 44,730 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    at the moment, she doesnt have a valid policy....

Why doenst she just give you the car and then you can just run her about when she needs you to.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • bluep
    • By bluep 17th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    bluep
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - it's not in her name at the moment, it's off the road. She hasn't driven for a long time - I used the wrong words - she could have a valid license if she sorted it out and made the appropriate declarations to to the DVLA - she wouldn't dream of driving or getting insurance to drive without it all being declared and above board.

I suppose my question really should have been can I insure it for me to drive with her still as the owner/registered keeper or is that just a no for insurance companies. Sounds like even if they did allow it, it would be v expensive.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    I suppose my question really should have been can I insure it for me to drive with her still as the owner/registered keeper or is that just a no for insurance companies. Sounds like even if they did allow it, it would be v expensive.
    Originally posted by bluep
    Some companies will (e.g. Direct Line) and some won't (Co-op) allow you to be the main driver and your mother to be the owner/registered keeper.

You may get an introductory discount if you have NCD on another car or other insurance products with the company.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 18th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    You would have to be the main driver anyway because your the one who drives the car the most, if you put yourself as a named driver that would be illegal and would be fronting.
    Originally posted by takman

It's not illegal or fronting at all for him to be a named driver as long as they declare he is the main user. Plenty of people are the main user of a car without being the proposer. Fronting comes where you lie to get a cheaper quote like adding a youngster as an "infrequent" user when in reality it is their car and use it every day. In this situation it would be more than above board.

That said, considering the other complications involved, I would suggest insuring it in your name as it is quite difficult to take out insurance in the name of someone that can't drive. Just declare your mother owns it and more than a few insurers will be happy to quote on it. A lot more so than if it was your mates car from down the road.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    would it be easier to gift the car to you using the DVLA car documents? since you will be using it mainly, not sure why your mum wants to remain the keeper when she isn't going to drive it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter