Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loisreid
    • By Loisreid 17th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loisreid
    0 WOW
    Compensation for post traumatic strwss
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Compensation for post traumatic strwss 17th Oct 16 at 5:47 PM
    I was on holiday 4 weeks ago and myself and my partner hired out a boat from the resort water sports team ( a captain ) was driving. Coming back into the resort the boat hit someone in the water and killed them. We have both been signed off sick for a minimum of 4 weeks with post traumatic stress due to the lack of customer care ( none of it ) from both the travel company and the hotel.
    We have lost 4 weeks of income and unable to pay rent. What can we do?
Page 2
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 5,083 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I would try my best to get back to some normality, going back to work will help with this, you can still have counselling but if you are unable to pay your rent or bills, you need to try to move on. Who would you expect to receive compensation from ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    Suing a sole trader who probably doesn't have any liability insurer or significant assets would be a waste of time.

Your post makes a lot of sense.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 6,439 Posts
    • 20,561 Thanks
    fairy lights
    That sounds like a horrific thing to witness but I'm surprised that both you and your partner have been left unable to work because of it. Surely getting back to the normality of the workplace and the support of your colleagues would be beneficial?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    If the police weren't there, but the captain was arrested for murder, who arrested the captain?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 18th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    phatbear
    If the police weren't there, but the captain was arrested for murder, who arrested the captain?
    Originally posted by richardw
    As the captain of a vessel he could arrest himself
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 11,488 Posts
    • 15,386 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Surely the captain would only have been charged with murder if he intentionally killed the swimmer.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 18th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Bogalot
    Surely the captain would only have been charged with murder if he intentionally killed the swimmer.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    And any such charge would be in the public arena.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 18th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,507 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Perhaps there is more to it. Perhaps he DID intend to kill the swimmer.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    eDicky
    British and similar legal norms don't apply in Turkey, and there may be a lesser charge equivalent to manslaughter applied that was conveyed to the OP as 'murder'. We don't know.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    eDicky
    we don't know who we hit, one newspaper wanted to put that we hit someone on holiday ( tourist ) another one was a Syrian refugee.
    Originally posted by Loisreid
    The corpse would have been in a swimsuit (or naked if lost) if it was a tourist, or fully clothed if a refugee/migrant, who may have been already dead (drowned). The death of a tourist in this way is unlikely to have gone totally unreported in their home country, but perhaps not internationally.

Witnessing a violent death is never pleasant, but it's pointless to dwell on the gory details and delay getting back to your normal life and livelihood. It may help to focus some compassion on the victim and his family and the 'captain' boat driver who has lost his freedom and probably his job as a result of his negligence, instead of being mired in your own negative emotions.

As for any form of compensation for your inability to earn a living normally for a month, this is probably an extreme reaction in Turkish eyes. The only chance may be to appeal to the hotel that you'll be forced to publicize it unless they make a better offer, a kind of blackmail perhaps...
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 30,274 Posts
    • 35,824 Thanks
    Browntoa
    can find this

http://www.ekathimerini.com/211273/article/ekathimerini/news/captain-of-speedboat-that-killed-four-is-remanded

but 8 weeks ago
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    Post #10 mentions Turkey.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    loskie
    holiday insurance? Legal advice from the insurer?
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 18th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Archergirl
    I would also agree it must have been horrific to see this sort of thing, but you could see accidents here and not get compensation, I think you need to get back to work and put it behind you or you will keep thinking about it and get even more stressed.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 18th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3630982/Two-tourists-killed-20-injured-two-speedboats-collide-Thailand-near-popular-island-Phuket.html
    http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/223424/chinese-tourist-killed-jetski-speedboat-collision/

Happens more often than you might imagine. A cursory search will bring up a fair amount of examples.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 18th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    For all you doubters....LINK

Must have been horrific, hope they get the help they need.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th Oct 16, 12:53 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    mgdavid
    good grief is this what society has come down to? Lovely pics, don't look very traumatised do they? Shame on the 'Mirror'.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Oct 16, 3:30 AM
    • 15,248 Posts
    • 35,384 Thanks
    Pollycat

Originally posted by pompeyrich
    So why not sell your story to the press im sure they would pay well for your "story"
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Newspapers have been in contact but hotel wanted it hush as its a very well known hotel.
    I guess Lois Reid decided to sell her story after all
    Not so 'hush' now.
    • photome
    • By photome 19th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 12,003 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome

Originally posted by pompeyrich
    You have to admit it did seem like a tall story!

Must have been horrible to witness.

Looks like the OP decided to go to the papers after posting on here
    • Westin
    • By Westin 19th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Westin
    Out of respect for the man who died and his family when we don't even no who he was or where he come from as hotel wouldn't tell us I didn't feel it was fair to plaster it over the papers
    Having now presumably found a tabloid to run the story, I hope this change of heart means that Loisreid will donate what ever fee the Daily Mirror gave them directly to the family of the very unfortunate victim.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 14,349 Posts
    • 36,532 Thanks
    FBaby
    Not sure what you want from this thread. If you want to sue the hotel, then you can do so, it's up to you. It's up to you whether you want to take the risk of going to a solicitor who might tell you all you want to hear, get all the money they can from you, and then fail you in court. Of course, you can try to do much research to try to find one who is more likely to win your case, but expect this to come with a much higher financial investment, which if you are currently struggling financially is likely to be an issue.

You don't mention your insurance, did you have any? Have you looked at their clauses? Have you tried that route?

What you seriously need to consider is the balance between trying to get compensation, but accepting that the process will bring on much additional stress, therefore likely to delay your recovery vs. hoping to win money, but if that only covers the additional loss of income because you are not able to recover as quickly because of the stress of the seeking compensation, it doesn't seem much worthwhile.

I personally think that it is not worth the money and you are better focusing on getting better. When you do, you can decide whether to take it further or not, and if so, to which extent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter